Vegetarian vs. non vegetarian

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
MarkPoppen
Percy Williams

Postby MarkPoppen » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:56 pm

So, I've been a vegetarian for about 20+ years now. My main reason was when I was around 10 years old, I saw a guy on TV stabbing a pig that was hanging on a tree, and all the guts just splashed out. I was disgusted, and told my mom never to eat meat again. That's how it started. Then, as I grew older, I learned more about the bio industry in Holland (where I'm from, originally), which firmed my decision to stay a vegetarian.

Now, after living in Canada for over 5 years, I obviously know that the guts that fell out of the pig I mentioned earlier are not for consumption, and living in Saskatchewan around farmers and hunters, I know where the meat that my wife is eating is coming from. My brothers-in-law are avid hunters and share deer meat with the family each year.
In short: the reasons why I became a vegetarian are pretty much out the window, but because I'm so used to the diet now, there's something holding me back from eating meat.

Perhaps some people here can help me out. People that switched from a vegetarian diet to "all meat": Did you feel more/less energetic, how is it for running, how was the transition etc. etc.

I can use all the feedback I can get.
Perseverance: What the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
My Runkeeper profile.

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Re: Vegetarian vs. non vegetarian

Postby grimskot » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:44 pm

I can't help you with the transition from vegetarian back to carnivore so much. Thanks to my daughters, I've gone the other direction. Not a vegan or vegetarian like they are; more of a flexitarian these days as I do still eat meat occasionally. But from their experiences and my own, I offer one suggestion: take your diet changes slowly. Don't jump on the meat wagon all at once and heap steak on your plate at every meal. :) Instead, maybe try something simple one meal once a week. Then see how you feel, and how it affects your running. Conversely, nothing saying you have to completely give up vegetarianism either. Keep a few meals or whole days vegetarian even as you introduce meat back into your diet. You've probably got a few favourite dishes you'd like to keep eating. It doesn't have to be all one way or the other. Good luck whichever way you end up.
Plan for 2016:
Jun 25: St. Malo Triathlon - Sprint - done
Jul 16: Morden Triathlon - Sprint - done

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:13 pm

You should watch the documentary Forks over Knives, it might give you a few more reasons to remain on your vegetarian diet :D I saw this documentary a couple of years ago and it convinced me that eating meat/dairy is not all it's cracked up to be. That being said, I'm not a total vegetarian, I still eat a small amount of chicken and fish. I tried cutting meat/dairy completely out of my diet and I just found it too hard to come up with meal ideas for both myself and family. Now I try and concentrate on a plant based diet, lots of fruit and veggies and very little processed food. It's a work in progress, I still indulge in chocolate cake / butter tarts occasionally, but that's the exception not the rule.
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:23 pm

Before he retired, my grandfather was an Alberta beef farmer. I saw how his cows were treated and what they ate (in fact I fed them from my own hand and went out in the tractor with him). He grew all their food himself, delivered the calves himself, etc. My grandmother also had a big garden where they grew much of their own food. As a result it's hard for me to identify with the stories that I hear about big meat production. Don't get me wrong, I know that there are bad things going on, especially as the production gets bigger and bigger... I just can't make it work with the picture in my mind of my grandpa's farm. :/ So I am a meat eater, but I do occasionally buy organic (when I can afford to) and I do buy free range eggs.

I second the suggestion to start slowly... maybe with some fish and poultry, add it into things a bit at a time. Sushi is an awesome way to get more fish in your diet, though I don't imagine there's much access to fresh sushi in SK. :lol:
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:00 pm

I was vegan for a year due to stomach problems. While I had no problem with staying vegan, it was not practical with my meat eating family.

My advice is that if you want to start back on the omnivore route, is to start slowly to give your body time to adjust.

My first meat was a small piece of BBQ bison. I was eating quite low fat when I was sick (gall bladder in the end) and I wanted a lower fat meat to start with. Start slowly and small amounts and work your way up in variety.

I still eat some veg foods and I am considering more veg dishes to my weekly diet, since it forces me to eat cleaner.

Good luck on you transition if that is the route you decide.

MarkPoppen
Percy Williams

Postby MarkPoppen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:35 am

I wasn't planning on going from being a vegetarian to eating meat 5 times a week. More along the lines of: when we BBQ, I'm not going to bother with veggie burgers and, when meat smells good, just eat it (my mother in law makes a killer roast, apparently. It smells delicious).

Hey, for all I know, I won't even like meat at all!
Perseverance: What the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
My Runkeeper profile.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:23 am

MarkPoppen wrote:I wasn't planning on going from being a vegetarian to eating meat 5 times a week. More along the lines of: when we BBQ, I'm not going to bother with veggie burgers and, when meat smells good, just eat it (my mother in law makes a killer roast, apparently. It smells delicious).

Hey, for all I know, I won't even like meat at all!

Sounds like a good plan, do what works for you!

I have to tell you, when we BBQ'd those Bison steaks, they tasted really good :lol:

Good luck with the transition/testing things out.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:34 am

I love caribou meat. :drool:
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:39 pm

Moose burgers are the best.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

AjaxRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby AjaxRunner » Thu May 02, 2013 9:56 am

MarkPoppen wrote:So, I've been a vegetarian for about 20+ years now. My main reason was when I was around 10 years old, I saw a guy on TV stabbing a pig that was hanging on a tree, and all the guts just splashed out. I was disgusted, and told my mom never to eat meat again. That's how it started. Then, as I grew older, I learned more about the bio industry in Holland (where I'm from, originally), which firmed my decision to stay a vegetarian.

Now, after living in Canada for over 5 years, I obviously know that the guts that fell out of the pig I mentioned earlier are not for consumption, and living in Saskatchewan around farmers and hunters, I know where the meat that my wife is eating is coming from. My brothers-in-law are avid hunters and share deer meat with the family each year.
In short: the reasons why I became a vegetarian are pretty much out the window, but because I'm so used to the diet now, there's something holding me back from eating meat.

Perhaps some people here can help me out. People that switched from a vegetarian diet to "all meat": Did you feel more/less energetic, how is it for running, how was the transition etc. etc.

I can use all the feedback I can get.

A good Dutchman is raised on "vlees en aardappelen" :P :P :P Oh and how can I forget, broodje haring, kroketten, bitterballen, lekkerbekjes and of course: rijstafel.

I may actually be drooling now.

On the subject: change your diet slowly...introduce meat slowly. Try and start with a lean meat first. Ostrich is one of my favourites.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu May 02, 2013 11:49 am

Habs4ever wrote:Moose burgers are the best.

Not as good as baby seal.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Fri May 10, 2013 4:53 pm

I really resonate with your post. I have been a vegetarian since I was 19 (first time on my own at university). My mom tells a story about serving fish when I was young and we had a fish tank and when I put two and two together I refused to ever eat fish again!

My husband and kids eat meat and we know the ecological farmer who raises the pig, chickens and cows that we eat. I don't have any issue with that at all. I have eaten meat while in the Arctic while sharing food with Inuit hunters (although I am not as enthused about meat from 'big game hunters' depending on the circumstances). My kids started out vegetarian but my son (4 years old) LOVES meat and he really bonds over meat with my husband. For example. they had pork curry when I was away this week. We only have meat very occasionally and visit the farm that the meat came from so one day the kids can make the connection and decide for themselves. I am not opposed to eating meat but honestly it just doesn't really appeal to me. I know that my choice to eat dairy, even organic dairy, is feeding into the meat industry as well.

Anyway, not sure if that helped but I just wanted to share my personal experience.
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Sat May 11, 2013 4:54 pm

Yeah, if you know a good responsible organic farmer with free range, life is pretty good for an animal until they fatten up. However large producers really should be charged with animal abuse. Cows/steers stuck in small stalls for their lives, force fed with food and antibiotics etc. Hens shipped in unheated trucks in the winter for hours or in non-air conditioned trucks in the middle of summer is someone no living animal should go through, inho.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

n_fraser
Tom Longboat

Postby n_fraser » Tue May 14, 2013 7:20 am

BACON!!!!!!!!!!

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Tue May 14, 2013 12:51 pm

Habs4ever wrote:Moose burgers are the best.

Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”