Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
rdmsgirl
Tom Longboat

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby rdmsgirl » Thu May 23, 2013 12:08 pm

Irongirl wrote:ah, poor munchkin. :(

I don't have a parent facing stoller, so, I can't help.....

I assume you've tried attaching toys, loosening straps, doing a bunch of things?

Yes, tried them all. He gets too worked up to even notice.
He does do slightly better inside , like in a mall, but he has to have a lot of people to look at

I'm hoping the crowds at race weekend will be enough to distract him. he will most likely be carried across the finish line, unless we want our race photos to be of a baby in full meltdown.
If only I could love running as much as I love yoga....

(Is still considered "running" if you can walk faster than you can run?)

“The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.” John Bingham

rdmsgirl
Tom Longboat

Postby rdmsgirl » Thu May 23, 2013 12:11 pm

Irongirl wrote:failed is a strong word. ;)

attachement parenting has MANY more meanings that just wearing your baby. :)

Thanks , you're right I know. :D But I must be the only momma I know who actually wanted to bedshare, only to end up with a baby that absolutely hates sleeping in the bed with mom and dad. :lol:
If only I could love running as much as I love yoga....

(Is still considered "running" if you can walk faster than you can run?)

“The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.” John Bingham

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Thu May 23, 2013 12:13 pm

rdmsgirl wrote:
pts wrote:
rdmsgirl wrote:First of all, congrats Quick Chick! I look forward to reading about your progress! :D

So I need a favour and I'm turning to the RM's for suggestions. I'm an "old" mama. All my friends are done having babies, and out of the stroller stage. They aren't much help.

My baby hates riding in a stroller. I have a BOB that I thought he would love :(! and a smaller Britax B agile for day to day errands. He cries for most of the time he is in these strollers. (embarrassing, especially during an hour long strollercize class). When he was smaller I used the infant seat adapter in both the strollers and he tolerated them more, but hated sitting in his infant car seat. He is now 5 months and too big to wear in a carrier for long periods of time (but we intend on carrying him 2k for Ottawa Race Weekend)

Anyway, I'm wondering if he stresses out in the stroller because he can't see me/us?? I was wondering if there are any Ottawa based RMers who might have a parent facing stroller that I could borrow for a half an hour or so. I'd be willing to travel and would love the company if someone would like to walk with me. I just want the opportunity to try a different type of stroller before I invest in one.

Or if any of you veterans have any advice I'd love to hear your ideas. It's very disheartening to want to walk with baby only to have him cry the entire time. :(

My second hated all strollers, I sympathize! What carrier do you have? You can most likely put him in a back carry at 5 mos, I had my babe on my back in the ergo today (almost 5 mos old, but she is my third so I am very adept at back carries). Just a thought, baby wearing is passion of mine and if you have questions please pm me. I know soft structured carriers, wraps, slings, and mei ties (I may have an addiction, lol).

We are going to try a back carry this week, although I'm not completely comfortable with his head control yet. I have a first generation Beco Butterfly

I also have a ring sling and a Boba wrap.

Let me tell you, this parenting thing has been challenging since baby does not like being worn either. He is only now tolerating it for short periods of time. But as a newborn he wanted nothing to do with his sling or wrap. My attempts at doing the attachment parenting thing have all failed!

Mine refused to be worn as well. Might be a sign he will be an early mobile little dude who likes to be independent. Be forewarned 8 month olds walking has you running! :lol:

My only thought is to have him in the stroller with toys or things he can grab and chew to keep him occupied. Or try carrying on your back. Maybe he wants to be up higher to see??

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Thu May 23, 2013 12:20 pm

QuickChick wrote:Very good advice, thanks. I'll have to remember to check back at this when I am feeling down about running afterward. Knowing how many of you have bounced back better than ever helps, but I'll really have to make sure I don't compare myself to anyone. In the big picture, running won't be the most important thing in my life, though, so maybe I'll be more even-keeled than I imagine. Wait and see, that'll be my mantra. :)

I was in the lucky camp too with a quick recovery so I didn't have a hard time getting back into it. I still believe me using a trainer and maternity chiro after owen really helped. Just be ready for anything is my best advice. You could be anywhere on the continuum. But either way you are in for a great ride!

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Thu May 23, 2013 12:36 pm

Well said on both counts!
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Thu May 23, 2013 12:52 pm

rdmsgirl wrote:My baby hates riding in a stroller. I have a BOB that I thought he would love :(! and a smaller Britax B agile for day to day errands. He cries for most of the time he is in these strollers. (embarrassing, especially during an hour long strollercize class). When he was smaller I used the infant seat adapter in both the strollers and he tolerated them more, but hated sitting in his infant car seat. He is now 5 months and too big to wear in a carrier for long periods of time (but we intend on carrying him 2k for Ottawa Race Weekend)

As an instructor of the strollersize classes, I was never bothered by the kids crying, and sometimes they were mine. It is what is to be expected in that class. I think we are more bothered by our own than others. As for what's upsetting your child, it's hard to say. Do your best to relax if you can. Are you opposed to walking with an iPod?
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Thu May 23, 2013 1:02 pm

rdmsgirl wrote:

Thanks , you're right I know. :D But I must be the only momma I know who actually wanted to bedshare, only to end up with a baby that absolutely hates sleeping in the bed with mom and dad. :lol:

And this may change too, your babe may want to sleep with you later on if you really want to try again. Every baby is different and they change opinions and habits so often!

And some babes that hated front carry love a back one so you may find something that works for you!

And and, no matter what you do, cosleeping or not, breast feeding or formula, wearing or stroller, cloth or disposables, if you are doing it in the best interest of your child and yourself (and you are!!) then you are doing a good job. Us mommies can be too hard on ourselves and each other.
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

geobandito
Johnny Miles

Postby geobandito » Thu May 23, 2013 1:07 pm

pts wrote:
And and, no matter what you do, cosleeping or not, breast feeding or formula, wearing or stroller, cloth or disposables, if you are doing it in the best interest of your child and yourself (and you are!!) then you are doing a good job. Us mommies can be too hard on ourselves and each other.

Amen!
2014 Running Plans
remembering how to run!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Jwolf » Thu May 23, 2013 1:12 pm

geobandito wrote:
pts wrote:

Amen!

You're doing it "right" as long as it comes from a place of caring and love.

And... Sometimes what's in OUR best interest is what's best for our kids. I remember feeling so guilty about leaving my kids so I could run or exercise. Don't feel guilty for taking time for yourself. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Thu May 23, 2013 1:20 pm

Jwolf wrote:I remember feeling so guilty about leaving my kids so I could run or exercise. Don't feel guilty for taking time for yourself. :)

I only feel guilty when Zack says "no Momma, no go running. Stay and play". Breaks my heart every time. And yet, I still go. It's good for him to learn that it's ok to take care of yourself first. Besides, that's Daddy/Zack time :D
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Thu May 23, 2013 1:39 pm

jes wrote:
Jwolf wrote:I remember feeling so guilty about leaving my kids so I could run or exercise. Don't feel guilty for taking time for yourself. :)

I only feel guilty when Zack says "no Momma, no go running. Stay and play". Breaks my heart every time. And yet, I still go. It's good for him to learn that it's ok to take care of yourself first. Besides, that's Daddy/Zack time :D

Give it another year Jes! Owen did this to me forever and broke my heart everytime. Now he nags me to go to the gym so he can use the kids club or is currently planning his disney cruise where I was advised he doesn't want to dine with us as he will be very busy at kids club :lol: I think pretty soon I will be told that I am not very cool too! They grow up way too quick!

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Thu May 23, 2013 1:53 pm

Tori wrote:
jes wrote:

Give it another year Jes! Owen did this to me forever and broke my heart everytime. Now he nags me to go to the gym so he can use the kids club or is currently planning his disney cruise where I was advised he doesn't want to dine with us as he will be very busy at kids club :lol: I think pretty soon I will be told that I am not very cool too! They grow up way too quick!

I know, that's why it pains me to go when he'd rather have me stay and play. I know he won't want me around forever. But for now, I'm still the number one fort builder and sand-castle-maker :D
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Thu May 23, 2013 4:30 pm

I waited until 12 weeks PP with #2, and am waiting until 12 weeks now. I want to give all my ligaments time to get back to "normal" before I try running. I get a lot of pelvic pain when I walk now, especially any distance. The other day I did 5k, and my pelvis was pretty sore the rest of the day.

I really miss running. It keeps me sane.

And once I ran on the track with a screaming baby (can't remember if it was John or Damon). He was fine, just mad he was in the stroller. He was like a little siren, warning everyone I was coming up behind them :) Very useful.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu May 23, 2013 8:16 pm

I used to go the "no mama - no go go go"...now, whenever I kiss either kid, they say "bye!" even if I'm not going anywhere..... (I always try to kiss them before going out - to work, to the gym or to run). It seems like they are used to me leaving. :)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

da
Bill Crothers

Postby da » Thu May 23, 2013 8:43 pm

QuickChick wrote:Are you pg too Ann???
I'll be curious to know how long after a non-c-section birth it takes before you can run. If I have to have a section I can see 6 weeks for sure, maybe longer. Otherwise it sounds like it could be the same, or less, or even more if things are, well I'm not thinking about that, lol.

I had a boy via an unplanned c-section earlier this month. I have been anticipating at least 6 weeks before I get back to running but it's interesting hearing others experiences in waiting longer. I didn't run at all through the pregnancy.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu May 23, 2013 8:45 pm

da wrote:
I'll be curious to know how long after a non-c-section birth it takes before you can run. If I have to have a section I can see 6 weeks for sure, maybe longer. Otherwise it sounds like it could be the same, or less, or even more if things are, well I'm not thinking about that, lol.

I had a boy via an unplanned c-section earlier this month. I have been anticipating at least 6 weeks before I get back to running but it's interesting hearing others experiences in waiting longer. I didn't run at all through the pregnancy.

wait - that's it? "I had a boy"

name? details? pictures?!

Congratulations!!!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Fri May 24, 2013 8:15 am

Congratulations!
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri May 24, 2013 12:03 pm

da wrote:

congrats! I don't know how long post-section you are. I found the first 7-10 days VERY difficult, and then things started to get better much more quickly from there. I did have to be careful - even after a month or more - about how I used my abdominal muscles, just because they were working differently to protect my incision.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Fri May 24, 2013 4:45 pm

Oh wow Ann, that's great news!! Congratulations!! All the best for a speedy recovery and I'll be interested to hear about your return to running. :) I'd also love to see pics etc when you've got time to post. :)
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

da
Bill Crothers

Postby da » Sat May 25, 2013 11:12 am

scrumhalfgirl wrote:
da wrote:

congrats! I don't know how long post-section you are. I found the first 7-10 days VERY difficult, and then things started to get better much more quickly from there. I did have to be careful - even after a month or more - about how I used my abdominal muscles, just because they were working differently to protect my incision.

He's 2 weeks old today and things are starting to get a lot better with regards to the incision. Isaac was 9lbs 5 oz when he was born. We were not expecting such a big baby but he's just awesome.

Thanks for all the feedback on when people got back on the road. I definitely will be listening to my body but I'm also really excited to run again too.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sat May 25, 2013 11:41 am

Congratulations on the birth of Isaac. :D
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sat May 25, 2013 11:51 am

Today's mantra: a crapola run is better than no run! I went out for 5K, had to pee halfway through :roll:, and just felt really draggy the whole time. No pain or anything, not really much different than a super draggy non-preg run. I went slowly- I'm ALWAYS slow lately, I just go at whatever pace feels easy, but today was especially slow. Now I'm all dizzy, out of it and hungry though, like I just did a hard long run. Tomorrow will be better right? :)

I've noticed, actually, that I tend to feel like this more when there are more days off in between runs. I skipped last night's run (exhausted!) so I haven't gone since Wed. I am really going to make more of an effort, while I can still run, to go every other day, or two runs, rest day, two runs, rest day. I feel like once I eventually stop running, I'll feel really guilty for every run I skipped while I could still actually go, so I am glad I went today.

Thanks for listening, I'm feeling slightly better after venting, and after having some water and a few strawberries. Maybe I'll have a nap after lunch too- ahhhhhh.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sat May 25, 2013 12:07 pm

BTW... I'm heading to Shopper's this aft (20x the points day!)- I've been using cocoa butter (Palmer's) to prevent the dreaded stretch marks... I happened to have some from before. I'm going between getting more of that, or getting Bio Oil... anyone have any strong "this one is better" feelings? I'm leaning towards the cocoa butter again b/c I can imagine oil might be a bit annoying to keep off clothes, sheets etc. If it's WAY better, though, maybe wandering around for 10 min or so to let it sink in after I shower is worth it... lol...

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Sat May 25, 2013 12:46 pm

The butter may not prevent the stretch marks, just so you know.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sat May 25, 2013 12:51 pm

I think the only thing that can truly prevent stretch marks is genetics.

I did find that a belly butter felt really nice, though, especially when my belly got inexplicably itchy.

Return to “The Scenic Route”