Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
IronColl
Lynn Williams

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby IronColl » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:08 pm

FishPants wrote:I loved my babyworx classes! I am considering them again, just need to figure out if I can work them around the older kids' schedules. Also, my favourite instructor doesn't teach them anymore.

Older kids are welcome on the field. I heard a rumour that she was subbing a couple in the summer.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:26 pm

I did classes like those when C was a baby. Loved them!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:53 pm

IronColl wrote:
FishPants wrote:I loved my babyworx classes! I am considering them again, just need to figure out if I can work them around the older kids' schedules. Also, my favourite instructor doesn't teach them anymore.

Older kids are welcome on the field. I heard a rumour that she was subbing a couple in the summer.

I will have to find out when she is subbing classes then, so that I can go. Perhaps I can treat her to a coffee after she kicks my butt.

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:27 am

Someone has started one of those in my 'hood. A parade of a dozen (or more) went by one morning. Only two of the strollers were acting as sirens. I figured that was pretty good odds.

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:07 pm

I am very sore today from yesterday's class! :lol:
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:19 pm

Kelodie wrote:I am very sore today from yesterday's class! :lol:

Good job Kelodie! Had to chuckle at your post. Yup momma's are tough! Great that you are able to attend. I also loved my mom and baby bootcamp classes.

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:13 pm

I was the only girl to make it to my Tues lunch hill running group. :D It was HOT!!

2014 Races:

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:45 am

AndyM wrote:I was the only girl to make it to my Tues lunch hill running group. :D It was HOT!!

brave soul! I wish I had a hill running group! or a hill...
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:05 pm

AndyM wrote:
Kelodie wrote:I am very sore today from yesterday's class! :lol:

Good job Kelodie! Had to chuckle at your post. Yup momma's are tough! Great that you are able to attend. I also loved my mom and baby bootcamp classes.

I love it when I pass a baby bootcamp class on my trail at the park. They yell, "coureur" as I run by--makes me feel like a real runner! :)
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:17 pm

I have now run 3 times :) Huzzah!

da
Bill Crothers

Postby da » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:17 pm

I've been out twice now. I was so excited to get out Saturday morning. At 7 weeks that was the longest I'd been out of the house with out my little guy.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:59 am

That is AWESOME! Glad to hear it. :) :) :)

I'm still out there at 26 weeks (26 tomorrow) doing 5-8km, nothing crazy. Last week was a bit of a writeoff- last week of school (so crazy) and it was so crazy hot. I don't normally really think about the heat, I just go out slower and sweat more, lol, but I just don't think it's smart to push it right now. Since school is now out, if/when we get more weather like that I'll probably run around dark.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

rockstar79
Bill Crothers

Postby rockstar79 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:28 pm

Wow - it has been forever since I have posted in here! Little miss is pushing 2, I ran a half, trained for another, the trained for and ran a full. My momma running group got into the San Fran women's marathon (we are doing the half), and then after that it is time for #2.

I am still, still struggling with losing the weight I gained with C, but I am hoping to do San Fran in a respectable time, so the next few months are about training hard and dropping weight... Which is oh so fun when you are chasing a toddler and working full time!
Next?
:)

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:10 am

K- San Fran will be so fun! Jealous!

I'm headed to Utica for the Boilermaker next weekend with a group of my training buddies. Not quite the same thing, but will be a fun girls weekend!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:57 am

Congrats on getting into San Fran! You will love it.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:23 am

Ah, the Boilermaker... have an amazing time Jesse!! You are in fantastic shape. I bet you can beat my 1:11 from a few years ago... DO IT!!!!! I will be even more impressed if you beat my beer pb. 8)
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:50 pm

QuickChick wrote:Ah, the Boilermaker... have an amazing time Jesse!! You are in fantastic shape. I bet you can beat my 1:11 from a few years ago... DO IT!!!!! I will be even more impressed if you beat my beer pb. 8)

thanks for the vote of confidence, but I think I'm just going to "run for fun" with my friends. And I won't even come close on the beer - I'll be lucky if I finish one! Beer after a hot run is so not my friend!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:31 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:
QuickChick wrote:Ah, the Boilermaker... have an amazing time Jesse!! You are in fantastic shape. I bet you can beat my 1:11 from a few years ago... DO IT!!!!! I will be even more impressed if you beat my beer pb. 8)

thanks for the vote of confidence, but I think I'm just going to "run for fun" with my friends. And I won't even come close on the beer - I'll be lucky if I finish one! Beer after a hot run is so not my friend!

That's the best time for beer. :)
Have fun in the race.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:46 am

scrumhalfgirl wrote:

So jealous of this!! It's on my bucket list of races I want to do. Just need to get organized and sign up in advance!

2014 Races:

Personal Bests:

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:39 pm

Thought some might find this interesting:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/1 ... ners-body/
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:35 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:Thought some might find this interesting:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/1 ... ners-body/

Can I just say - how awesome is it that there are people doing studies on pregnant runners?! :) :) :)

Nothing in that article surprised me. It changes you. It changes your body - and running IS different afterwards.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:27 pm

This was really interesting- thanks! It definitely makes a lot of sense. I can tell my pelvis is shifting a bit as I have occasional tailbone pain and weird random pelvic twinges. I will definitely be focusing a lot on core work when I am getting back into shape!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:10 am

I came upon this response to the previously mentioned article this morning on Lauren Fleshman's twitter feed and thought it was an interesting take. The author acknowledges that she is not a scientist, but the response is IMO still pretty good: This is what makes my blood boil.

I also found the link to this article on her blog, which made my morning! Running while pregnant helps the fetus' heart

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:35 am

QuickChick wrote:I also found the link to this article on her blog, which made my morning! Running while pregnant helps the fetus' heart

That's awesome! :)

For the record, I only started running regularly after I had my kids, so I can't compare my gait before to after. I did regular aerobic exercise before and throughout my pregnancies, but only started doing distance training with the running when my youngest was 4. But, I know many women who were successfully able to run through pregnancy and returned to running after. As we've said before, it takes some women more or less time, but don't take it as a given that you'll be slower/weaker/whatever after you have kids. We have some great hot running mamas on this site who have done really well. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:13 pm

I wasn't able to run through my pregnancies, but my running is very much improved since being pregnant.

It could be all mental, but I am much faster now.

Return to “The Scenic Route”