Top 10 running fashion faux pas

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:13 am

Stuck inside again, so you all get to see exactly how mindlessly I'm spending my day... lol :oops:
Runner's World has posted the top 10 running fashion faux pas.

I fully agree with all of them... except maybe the one about matching. Sometimes, I like a bit of co-ordination. :) The shorts over tights and tucked in shirts especially make me want to lug out the Stacy and Clinton bat-light.

Got any to add?
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Re: Top 10 running fashion faux pas

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:32 am

There's no such thing as a running fashion faux pas.

This isn't Turd being Turd - even a dork wearing socks with toe shoes and short shorts running shirtless in a blizzard with a little too much matchy-matchy is ahead of everyone on the couch.

That said, I'm guilty of shorts over tights but only to keep my junk from being a distraction. And of running shirtless a little too much.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

runfbrun
Tom Longboat

Postby runfbrun » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:39 am

Sometimes I see people running with their caps on backwards. To each their own, I guess, but it makes no sense to me!

I have been guilty of running with shorts that are too long though. It is one of the last pieces of clothing that I bought for non-running related stuff that I began to use when I started running, and they are still around.

I don't see the big deal with shorts over tights though. The man that matters most agrees with me:

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3v8fy1/

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:48 am

I tuck my shirt sometimes when I'm running with a backpack. If not, it crawls up my back until I'm practically jerseyed.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:53 am

OMG.. the too much make up picture made me laugh.

There was a woman I used to run with in the half group (gawd.. 7 years ago) who kept a lipstick in her shorts/tights pocket to reapply before the finish line.
Yeah... I did this ---> 8-|
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:59 am

Oooh! Oooh! Me! I saw one yesterday, right downtown by the convention centre, as I stepped out for a walk to get lunch. I so very very much wanted to take a photo.

For the most part, she looked fairly good, I think... fit little young woman with long blonde hair, wearing a super tight white tank top and REALLY tiny and super tight hot pink shorts (OK, I'd never wear them, but then she had better thighs, so power to her).

But she also had a waist belt-pouch thing.
Turned around so the pouch was in front (made me think of that thread here from years ago, with the water bottle in front), with the belt cinched nice and tight.
Around her butt.
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:09 pm

we can see the same sorts of faux pas in the cycling world.

if you hold up your shorts and can see through them, so can the cyclist behind you! :roll: Butt crack is not sexy, whether you're a plumber or a cyclist. YMMV.
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:11 pm

Make up AND too much jewelry. Great big dangly earrings are for the club not the road. B!tch. :D

Oh and the ladies that like to show off their ladies in too revealing running bras. Lets have a little modesty here please. A light tank over does the trick.

(saw this at ATB one year, actually I think she had both the dangly earring, the revealing (LIVESTRONG) bra and she may have even had her hair out of a pony tail; sadly the ..um...bra stole the show)
The Summer of Eng is over.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:12 pm

trixiee wrote:
if you hold up your shorts and can see through them, so can the cyclist behind you!

If you can see my butt crack, that means I'm a faster rider. Try to keep up for a lesson.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:14 pm

I've worn shorts over tights. It's a matter of keeping a bit warmer. :?

I don't purposely try and match, but sometimes my shoes match my shirt.

I don't tuck my shirt in because then you would see my fat belly. :lol:
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:16 pm

I always notice the hair! I've seen a few women on really hot day with long thick hair not tied up...don't get it...

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:20 pm

RA. wrote:I tuck my shirt sometimes when I'm running with a backpack. If not, it crawls up my back until I'm practically jerseyed.

You're excused since you have an actual reason. No backpack, no tuck I'm sure. ;)

Of course it really doesn't matter... it's just kind of amusing on a hot day. I only really think about what I wear out for a run in a race or when I'm going to run with other people. On my own, I'm often clashing, wearing whatever I pulled out of the drawer first.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:20 pm

Matching: that's the difference between cyclists and runners. You can always spot a triathlete who used to be a runner because they never have matching kit. :lol:

If you want warmth, wear shorts UNDER your tights.

Guys, if we can see your junk whie you're wearing tights, then you're wearing the wrong kind (or not wearing an apprpriate undergarment).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:20 pm

Yeah, I sometimes do shorts over tights: when it's not cold enough for the winter pants, and too cold for just tights, my buns get cold. Re: matching colours: sometimes it just happens. On the other hand, I don't to wear glaringly clashing colours either. And I don't like to wear all black.
Last edited by Avis on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:21 pm

QuickChick wrote:
RA. wrote:I tuck my shirt sometimes when I'm running with a backpack. If not, it crawls up my back until I'm practically jerseyed.

You're excused since you have an actual reason. No backpack, no tuck I'm sure. ;)

Of course it really doesn't matter... it's just kind of amusing on a hot day. I only really think about what I wear out for a run in a race or when I'm going to run with other people. On my own, I'm often clashing, wearing whatever I pulled out of the drawer first.

The same thing happens if I'm wearing a jacket or vest over my top (it rides up, especially in front), so I tuck it in. But since it's under the jacket, you can't see it.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:23 pm

La wrote:Matching: that's the difference between cyclists and runners. You can always spot a triathlete who used to be a runner because they never have matching kit. :lol:

Guys, if we can see your junk whie you're wearing tights, then you're wearing the wrong kind (or not wearing an apprpriate undergarment).

OMG YES!!! There is a certain runner in the neighbourhood, who we don't see much of anymore. We used to get full disclosure every time he showed up in his tight shorts. Not a good thing!!! :lol: It's to the point that when Pat asks where his bike shorts are the odd time he actually wears them to cycle, he asks "where are my (insert name here) shorts?".

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:23 pm

La wrote:Matching: that's the difference between cyclists and runners. You can always spot a triathlete who used to be a runner because they never have matching kit. :lol:

My shorts would make unsightly lumps under my tights. I already have enough naturally-occurring unsightly lumps! :roll:
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:25 pm

Am I still allowed to wear a short sleeve shirt over a long sleeve shirt?

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:26 pm

turd ferguson wrote:Am I still allowed to wear a short sleeve shirt over a long sleeve shirt?

Yes, but arm warmers are often more practical.

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:02 pm

Guilty of the too short shorts issue sometimes, to my daughter's horror. I regard embarrassing my kids as part of my job description as a Dad.

Another fashion faux pas: wearing your race shirt in the race you got it for.

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:18 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
trixiee wrote:
if you hold up your shorts and can see through them, so can the cyclist behind you!

If you can see my butt crack, that means I'm a faster rider. Try to keep up for a lesson.

Ha! Ha! Not when we're riding in a pelaton, and are taking turns pulling... :)
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:56 pm

La wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:Am I still allowed to wear a short sleeve shirt over a long sleeve shirt?

Yes....

This is my favorite winter running outfit. :) Well, I'll clarify that- Vancouver winter running.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:28 pm

Shorts over tights are not only okay (that looks becoming quite popular in basketball, which is by far the most trend-setting sport), but often preferable. If a body is such that it needs tights to deal with a thigh-rubbing issue, odds are people don't wanna see that body so specifically. Throw some shorts over it and you're good to go. Hell, Rocky wore shorts over sweat pants, and he knocked out Apollo Creed, Ivan Drago and Clubber Lange... so methinks he knew what he was doing.

Tucked in shirts are classy and let the world know you're an important man.

Missing from the article is the issue of fuel belts. The dorkiest. Especially those ones with six little water bottles. Unless you're heading to a showdown with Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday, that look is no good.

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:54 pm

Guilty of 3:

- matchy matchy (by mistake usually)
- short shorts (less chaffing in the summer months)
- shorts over tights (covers junk, looks cool)
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:57 pm

dgrant wrote:Missing from the article is the issue of fuel belts. The dorkiest.

Bah! I like my fuel belt, esp on long runs [only has 4 bottles though, but usually only carry the front 2].
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

Return to “General Running Discussion”