Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
killerbeetle
Bruce Kidd

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby killerbeetle » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:10 pm

FishPants wrote:I wasn't able to run through my pregnancies, but my running is very much improved since being pregnant.

It could be all mental, but I am much faster now.

^THIS

Well... I've been gone for ages... BUT I can happily say that pregnancy has NOT been detrimental to my ability to run either. In fact, giving birth sky rocketed my level of pain tolerance. The only complications I've noticed after pregnancy have been finding TIME to run, and a babysitter to watch my kid. :P
2013 Plans:

Get off butt.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:23 pm

Well, I think it's official, now that I've run on a cooler day... my average pace has gone up by a minute/km! :lol: I'm actually pleasantly surprised that it took this long, haha. It's a bit more difficult to run with my natural stride, it's more of a shuffle so I'm glad I'm not going too far. I'm glad to still be feeling good, no real discomfort or pain, so I'll just keep reminding myself that one day I WILL get that "feels so good to go fast" feeling back!!

I''m a bit frustrated with the bra situation though. I got a new bra yesterday- this store in Oakville was having a 50% off sale! I've been doubling up and it's been OK, but lately I've been having more and more difficulty getting the bras on and off. Also, because I normally wear a more demi sort of style just because of my shape, and because I hate uniboobs, the bras are a bit lower or V-shaped and it's looking a bit stripper-esque and silly (which honestly has been a BIT fun, but it looks ridiculous!). However they weren't going anywhere. I wasn't breathing as easily, but they weren't moving and once I got the bras on I was good to go till I had to strip down. :lol: I got a Juno bra (moving comfort) in the next size up from what I'd normally get, and tried it today on its own. Not enough- girls were screaming. I also kind of hate it (the shape, the clasp, the uniboob look), but it does seem like it would hold things in pretty well. I think it's just a tad too big now- it will probably be OK eventually, esp towards the end, and a bit better than what was going on before if I wear it over top of another bra. I think I'm kind of in between- a bit bigger than I was, not QUITE the next size, but heavier and needing more support if that makes sense.

ETA... Juno bra over top of the Vixen bra (moving comfort) FTW!!!!! I still have to struggle out of the vixen a bit, but at least it's just one, not two that are hard to take off. Still some cleavage, but I'm not about to complain about that as long as it's not over the top! I've been waiting ages for that!! 8)
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:56 am

Glad you've found a solution to the bra issue for the time being QuickChick! Hopefully whatever you have purchased now will carry you through until the end and then post delivery. It's soooo hard to tell what size you will be throughout all those changes.

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:33 pm

I got a belly band today... I may have to wave the white flag if it doesn't work. The last two times I've tried to run I've had to stop- I had this really painful pulling feeling between my belly button and the top of my shorts. At 32 1/2 weeks I've lasted awhile, but I'm really hoping the belly band will keep me comfy enough that I can keep going. I love running and don't want to stop!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:00 pm

QuickChick wrote:I got a belly band today... I may have to wave the white flag if it doesn't work. The last two times I've tried to run I've had to stop- I had this really painful pulling feeling between my belly button and the top of my shorts. At 32 1/2 weeks I've lasted awhile, but I'm really hoping the belly band will keep me comfy enough that I can keep going. I love running and don't want to stop!

hope it helps! if not, embrace the arm-pumping power walking and know that you'll be back running soon!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:49 am

Am I the only one that runs right now and thinks "finally I'm faster than QuickChick"? :lol:
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:31 pm

IronColl wrote:Am I the only one that runs right now and thinks "finally I'm faster than QuickChick"? :lol:

Bahaha... You're too funny Colleen!! Enjoy it beeatches... I'm already dreaming about hitting the track next spring!! I'm comin' for you!!

PS... Um, I haven't tried running again since the w/end... it's hot!! And I can't bring myself to feel guilty about it!! And this little one is pulling all sort of weird gymnastical moves that are making my insides feel like they're being used as a jungle gym... Not painful but it doesn't really make me want to jostle things around too much. :)

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:25 pm

Ok, Moms, I have a question...

Does anyone out there have a link to a good site or company that sells nursing necklaces? I need something. Morgan likes to grab things when she is nursing, and if I don't have the right kind of shirt on, the thing she grabs is a handful of me. It hurts.

I know about Mommy Necklaces, but nothing on their site speaks to me. Any advice?

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:07 pm

FishPants wrote:Ok, Moms, I have a question...

Does anyone out there have a link to a good site or company that sells nursing necklaces? I need something. Morgan likes to grab things when she is nursing, and if I don't have the right kind of shirt on, the thing she grabs is a handful of me. It hurts.

I know about Mommy Necklaces, but nothing on their site speaks to me. Any advice?

Etsy!! I have my eye on so many different ones but have never bought one. Now that my last babe has 7 (almost 8) teeth I am not sure I will get one in the end. :cry:
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:41 am

pts wrote:
FishPants wrote:Ok, Moms, I have a question...

Etsy!! I have my eye on so many different ones but have never bought one. Now that my last babe has 7 (almost 8) teeth I am not sure I will get one in the end. :cry:

I checked Etsy, and everything seems to be crocheted. I didn't know how safe that would be??

And how can your baby have 8 teeth!? Didn't you JUST have her? (I know, I know, I can't believe Morgan is 5 months either)

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:18 am

I came to see how Lisa's running was going.... it's unusually quiet in here.... hard to creep you guys when you are keeping things secret...

Did FP get a nursing necklace?
How many teeth does prat's youngest have now?
Has AndyM started to organize herself to sign up and get to the Boilermaker race?

you guys are just leaving a nosy nelly hanging!
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:30 am

Miss*Smiles wrote:
you guys are just leaving a nosy nelly hanging!

My child is obsessed with running at the moment. DH is coaching in the mornings, so we've been doing a LOT of stroller running. Now I get "Mama, I need to go for a run". She asks me each day if "you still sick mama? you all better? we can go running?", since she was so disappointed when I was sick two weeks ago and we didn't run. I actually have a hard time getting out for solo runs when she's awake on the weekends, because she throws a giant tantrum because "she needs to go running toooooo!". DH requires mad amounts of diversion skills!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:36 am

I have to organize myself NOW for the Boilermaker? Sheesh. I have such a hard time registering for races in advance. I DID manage to get into the Ottawa Beer run though :D I will make sure to update after that one.

Running going awesome over here! And looking forward to the 9 Run Run half in a couple of weeks. I just might be in PB territory. :D

Enjoy your stroller running Scrummy (and others)....I so miss those days...oh and the ones where my child had an bedtime earlier than me!! Not that she was ever a great stroller runner, mind you.

Thanks for asking Miss Smiles....or shall we call you Mrs. Smiles now?

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:51 am

Hey ladies!!! Checking in... I stopped running at about 33 weeks. One day it felt great, then the next 2 tries hurt so I walked them in. It got really hot after that and I was ok with not running, but I can't WAIT to get back at it!! In 2006 I was injured and didn't run for 12 weeks, and it didn't take long to get back in shape. I have to keep telling myself I WILL be back!! I biked till about 35 weeks or so, then same thing- one day it just hurt. My bike is pretty upright so that's why I was ok for so long.
Baby is due in 8 days! Holy $&@$!!!!
I'm feeling great... Enjoying my last few days of nesting. :)
I would LOVE to do the Boilermaker this year but I don't want to commit to any race more than a month out, so maybe next year. Plus I have to get my alcohol tolerance back... Hehe. I can see doing the Hair of the Dog race maybe on New Years Day, and Sporting Life. A 5k or two also. I'd love to be in shape to run a really good half or two next fall.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:48 am

QuickChick wrote:I can see doing the Hair of the Dog race maybe on New Years Day, and Sporting Life. A 5k or two also. I'd love to be in shape to run a really good half or two next fall.

Aw, too bad I'll be just flying out of TO that day. :)

Don't have huge expectations for getting back into race shape this year-- next fall is a good goal. Being off for injury for 12 weeks isn't the same as the changes your body is going through now. Just getting back to running and activity will be awesome, and yes, you can do that gradually. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:35 am

Jwolf wrote:
QuickChick wrote:I can see doing the Hair of the Dog race maybe on New Years Day, and Sporting Life. A 5k or two also. I'd love to be in shape to run a really good half or two next fall.

Don't have huge expectations for getting back into race shape this year-- next fall is a good goal. Being off for injury for 12 weeks isn't the same as the changes your body is going through now. Just getting back to running and activity will be awesome, and yes, you can do that gradually. :)

Agree - your body has changed, your hormones will be wacky and you'll be sleep deprived! it's different for sure!

That being said, I ran a half at almost-PB pace when I was not quite 7 months postpartum. The PB was about 2.5 years old at that point, and I wasn't even in half shape (let alone PB) when I got pregnant.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:05 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

Agree - your body has changed, your hormones will be wacky and you'll be sleep deprived! it's different for sure!

That being said, I ran a half at almost-PB pace when I was not quite 7 months postpartum. The PB was about 2.5 years old at that point, and I wasn't even in half shape (let alone PB) when I got pregnant.

Jesse is the perfect role model. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:09 pm

Yeah I figure fall is pretty reasonable. I may be able to run a decent 15k at bread and honey in June too. Wouldn't expect a pb but probably something under 1:15, say, would be reasonable by then (almost 8 mos pp). We'll see though, no goals for now and I won't be putting any pressure on myself goal wise in spring. By fall, almost a year pp, it's game on!

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:27 pm

Yes, I did order a necklace :) mommynecklaces had a sale on dangling donuts, I got the Jubilee, with a garnet donut. Just waiting for it to arrive. In the meantime, Morgan still likes to grab handfuls of me with her talons.

I had to take a week off running because I got vertigo. After treating it with western medicine (prescription and aerius), as well as cranial-sacral therapy and chiro, it is MUCH improved. I still have a bit of a low grade headache, but I have minor dizzy spells - not dizzy and sick all the time. I ran yesterday, and it even went ok. Mapmyrun has been crazy on my phone, I did 3.5km according to Garmin, and MMR said I did 9.8 km. Apparently when I stopped at the lights at Sherwood Drive, MMR thought I ran frantically back and forth across the intersection 9 times. :roll:

John tells me "When I get big, I will run faster than you." I usually say "Probably, dude."

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:39 pm

YAY updates :D

Thanks for indulging me :D Scrummy, C is such a cutie, and sounds like a great motivator/cheerleader (though I respect that solo runs would be nice "you-time"). AndyM - get prepped! I'm not on your case for nothing ;))
I'm glad QuickChick's still doing well, and that FP did order the necklace.
:D
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:46 pm

Just dropped by to say I'm a Great Aunt three times now.
My niece had baby number 3 yesterday. She has two boys (age 4 and 2.5) and was absolutely sure no. 3 was a boy.
She had a girl and this time decided she didn't want to know the gender before.
When Baby Girl (no name yet) was born she asked her dh ..."what is it". When he told her, her words..."you've got to be kidding" :lol: :lol:
It will be interesting to see how big brothers adapt. Last week the 2.5 year old adamantly said..."no new baby here" :lol: :lol: 4 year old added..."there are no toys for a baby girl in this house" Almost like he had a premonition :shock: :wink:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:30 pm

Jojo- I was wondering about your niece!!! That's great news. You will be a wonderful great aunt (again). :D

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:50 pm

I am running three times a week about a half hour at the most. I "raced" the Melissa's 10k this past Sunday. I didn't pushed the pace but still finished in less than an hour and was surprised that I did. Yay for base fitness!
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:02 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:Just dropped by to say I'm a Great Aunt three times now.
My niece had baby number 3 yesterday. She has two boys (age 4 and 2.5) and was absolutely sure no. 3 was a boy.
When Baby Girl (no name yet) was born she asked her dh ..."what is it". When he told her, her words..."you've got to be kidding" :lol: :lol:
It will be interesting to see how big brothers adapt. Last week the 2.5 year old adamantly said..."no new baby here" :lol: :lol: 4 year old added..."there are no toys for a baby girl in this house" Almost like he had a premonition :shock: :wink:

I thought Morgan was a boy, but John insisted he was getting a sister.

Congratulations to you and your niece! I hope Baby Girl gets a nice name soon :)

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:49 pm

FishPants wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:Just dropped by to say I'm a Great Aunt three times now.

I thought Morgan was a boy, but John insisted he was getting a sister.

Congratulations to you and your niece! I hope Baby Girl gets a nice name soon :)

She now has a name...and I love it!!!

Jamie Alexandra Farber :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Return to “The Scenic Route”