The runners wave?

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: The runners wave?

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:20 am

Yeah I mean if you're ogling them and smacking their asses as you run by, they will be annoyed :P

I don't necessarily say hi to people when I'm running, but almost always try to make eye contact, and if they also do them I will give a brief smile(which may be mistaken for a grimace, depending on the run). I don't usually wave, though there are exceptions.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk 2
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

ratherawkward
Bruce Kidd

Postby ratherawkward » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:45 am

I try to at least make eye contact/smile. Very early in the morning, when there are fewer people about, or if the weather's really crummy, I'm more likely to go for the actual wave. In my experience, the least likely to reciprocate are women late 20s-early 40s who look very thin and put-together (and I'm female, so it's not like they're likely to take it as a pickup attempt, LOL. I just don't look "fit" enough.)
PR's so far: 5K 27:15, 10K 55:25, 21.1K 2:10:53, 42.2K 5:21:27
Upcoming: Toronto Women's 5k in May, STWM Half in October

wantmeback
Bill Crothers

Postby wantmeback » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:30 pm

Waver here. Or, at least, a smile and a nod. It is rare that I don't get an acknowledgement back, though it happens occasionally.
Jen

*The maniac formerly known as gjennifer*

Back at it! 2019 goal Edmonton Hypo Half February 3rd

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:21 pm

I'll usually wave or nod and I'd say about 75% of the time people wave or nod back. I haven't noticed any real correlation between who waves and who doesn't, except that people who I'd envision as "regular" runners probably wave or nod more often.

I don't think I've ever creeped anyone out and I'd also add that I suspect most guys have never been creeped out by a woman giving them more than normal attention, LOL.

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:38 pm

I nod and I always say hello or good morning or hey.

I've learned that it's good for safety as someone will remember the girl who said hello better than the girl who ran past ... just in case I go missing, ya know?
Just call me the thread killa

EmilZatopek
Johnny Miles

Postby EmilZatopek » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:14 pm

If I'm taking it easy and running at a comfortable pace I smile and nod but most of the time I get ignored (mostly by the younger folk I noticed). I choose to believe they ignore me because they can tell I enjoy running way more than they do. :wink:
If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not you'll find an excuse.

5k - 18:40
10 - 39:02
Half - 1:29:11

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:01 am

I've always been a waiver as my dad taught me.

It's gotten far less rewarding over the years. From 100% in the mid 90s to maybe 2% now. I even waive to the bikers and dog walkers sometimes (if they're on a leash - the people not the dogs jk!)

Usually I get stares back. Yeah that's right... I waived, I'm friendly.

But if I'm doing intervals or something, there is no waiving, except to give up and waive the white flag.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:10 am

I typically raise a hand to runners and cyclists. I find that some runners will respond back, others don't. I find ALL the cyclists respond. They are always so friendly. Will say good morning etc. as well. Runners not as much.

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:21 am

Sometimes. I usually look at the other runner and smile/nod if they look over. Though as said further up thread, my smile may not always look like a smile, but just showing my teeth. :lol: I don't usually say hello (good morning, whatever) first. I also usually do this with anyone walking by. I find dog walkers in the morning to be the friendliest.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:41 am

I haven't read all the replies yet, but I always wave, and find almost everyone waves back. I had an exception last week - a teen with earphones in - no dirty look or anything, just didn't even make eye contact. But I would say 95% of the time the wave is returned. I live in a small town though, so that could be part of it!

ETA now that I've read more...I actually wave at everyone - pedestrians, cyclists, etc. - again, small town!

On the topic of waving through an entire run (and a little off topic): I also run a lot of country roads, so I will give a wave to every driver that goes out of their way to look like they're not trying to kill me ;) Give me half a lane, get a wave; slow down as you go between me and oncoming traffic, get a wave, etc. It means a lot of waving (some days more than others) but drivers usually wave back and I would rather have them think kindly of runners than think of us angrily or not at all.
Last edited by gnu on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:42 am

wantmeback wrote:Waver here. Or, at least, a smile and a nod. It is rare that I don't get an acknowledgement back, though it happens occasionally.

Yep...same here. :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:38 am

I always wave...But don't always get the wave back...I'm used to that now having been a runner for so many years...
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

AjaxRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby AjaxRunner » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:58 am

Jwolf wrote:
daddy_runner wrote:I religiously do the wave. My results are typical of other men in their mid-30s:

1. Young women never acknowledge you exist.
2. Groups of women shriek and call the police.
3. Young men think you're challenging them to a fight.
4. Old men smile and wave back.

You guys need to be less creepy looking. :p I don't know any women who react like that.

There is this very attractive lady who likes to dress in very skimpy outfits who I frequently (to my absolutel dismay :roll: :roll: ) see running on the humber trail. She always kind of smirks back when I wave and say good morning/afternoon etc. Just makes me wave more next time :D :P

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:35 am

bnn wrote:I nod and I always say hello or good morning or hey.

I've learned that it's good for safety as someone will remember the girl who said hello better than the girl who ran past ... just in case I go missing, ya know?

I am glad I am not the only one that thinks that way!

I thought of this thread yesterday as I passed a guy. I got a half smile and half nod. I gave the huge grin and half nod.

I also run with earbuds in - but turned waaaaaay down so I can still hear, but people have no way of knowing that. They just see the earbuds.

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:18 pm

better start running on the humber trail...

runfbrun
Tom Longboat

Postby runfbrun » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:15 pm

I'll usually look at runners coming in my direction, and won't wave if they don't make eye contact or are running/talking in a group. If there is eye contact, I always wave/smile/nod. I find that the faster/fitter a runner is around here, the less likely they are to acknowledge you exist! I get more of a reaction (mostly in the form of a bigger smile) if I come across the same people a second time (running a loop around the lake).

I ran by an older lady this morning, and was slightly ticked off. She didn't have her dog on a leash, and I'm ok with that IF the dog is super well-trained. This dog clearly wasn't and walked straight into my path. I had to stop and go. There wasn't even the slighest hint of an apology. Then, I ran by her again on the way home, no smile, no wave, no acknowledgement. Atleast the dog was on a leash this time.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:22 pm

Least likely to respond to waves or acknowlegements:

1. People going really fast. I totally get that.
2. Young women wearing headphones. Usually so zoned out they're not aware of their surroundings at all.
3. People wearing Running Room head-to-toe.

I try to be encouraging "looking great" "looking strong" "keep it up". I try to acknowledge everyone I see running, though I usually don't bother when its a warm day downtown and there's a runner every six feet.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Postby richie-rich » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:36 pm

i wave to almost all runners. usually get a response back. some will even offer up a good morning. and some will even help push me up the hills when i can't go any further.

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:00 pm

I find 99% of the runners will wave back here in Medicine Hat. :). I am going for a run here in Vancouver, I will update this once I am finished my run. :)
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

Run2Be
Johnny Miles

Postby Run2Be » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:53 pm

I wave, nod, smile or say hello or good morning to everyone I pass and 99% of the time I get a positive response. I wave at cars when they go out of there way to make extra room for me and even wave and a thank you when they remember to double check for pedestrians in cross walks. I always say thank you to pedestrians or dog walkers that go out of their way to make room on the sidewalk too.

One group I have trouble with is the 50-60 year old women who walk in groups of 2 or more on the sidewalk, they know I am coming but refuse to move over or share a little bit of the sidewalk and I have to run on the road or on the grass, and yes I always run toward the traffic so I am on the proper side. No smiles or anything from them. Maybe it's just a bad group I always hit. :roll:

BabyWolf
Tom Longboat

Postby BabyWolf » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:58 pm

Run2Be wrote:I wave, nod, smile or say hello or good morning to everyone I pass and 99% of the time I get a positive response. I wave at cars when they go out of there way to make extra room for me and even wave and a thank you when they remember to double check for pedestrians in cross walks. I always say thank you to pedestrians or dog walkers that go out of their way to make room on the sidewalk too.

Me too, lots of positive energy out there, except here and there :)

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:50 pm

Wow, I just ran 7kms along Kitsilano and Jericho beaches. I am being conservative with my numbers. But out of around 40 to 50 runners I only got 5 returned waves. Now that is a very poor percentage at 10%. Maybe I am running in a bad part of Vancouver, no!! I am really amazed, don't these runners know any running etiquette ?.( I think my spell checker has failed me). :(
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Re: The runners wave?

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:25 am

barebuns1 wrote:Wow, I just ran 7kms along Kitsilano and Jericho beaches. I am being conservative with my numbers. But out of around 40 to 50 runners I only got 5 returned waves. Now that is a very poor percentage at 10%. Maybe I am running in a bad part of Vancouver, no!! I am really amazed, don't these runners know any running etiquette ?.( I think my spell checker has failed me). :(

Kits runners will only wave if you're wearing lulu gear and carrying a toy poodle in your water belt.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk 2
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

The runners wave?

Postby Jwolf » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:41 am

barebuns1 wrote:Wow, I just ran 7kms along Kitsilano and Jericho beaches. I am being conservative with my numbers. But out of around 40 to 50 runners I only got 5 returned waves. Now that is a very poor percentage at 10%. Maybe I am running in a bad part of Vancouver, no!! I am really amazed, don't these runners know any running etiquette ?.( I think my spell checker has failed me). :(

I think it's because as I said before there are so many runners that we'd be waving all the time. It's not like running on a road with lots cars where runners knowingly acknowledge eachother.

To me waving to someone running on the seawall would be like a swimmer waving to someone while swimming laps in a pool. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

killerbeetle
Bruce Kidd

Postby killerbeetle » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:59 am

daddy_runner wrote:I religiously do the wave. My results are typical of other men in their mid-30s:

1. Young women never acknowledge you exist.
2. Groups of women shriek and call the police.
3. Young men think you're challenging them to a fight.
4. Old men smile and wave back.

I'm not sure if I'm still considered a young woman or not (27). I try to always return waves, and I usually initiate a smile and nod. Sometimes I even say "hello", if I'm on a slow run. When I was younger (20), I still did all of these things. However, when I was a teenager, I listened to really loud music and avoided eye contact at all cost. :roll: Okay, maybe I am old after all...
2013 Plans:

Get off butt.

Return to “General Running Discussion”