Doonst rocks the T-Dot++ Now With Video!!

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Doonst rocks the T-Dot++ Now With Video!!

Postby Doonst » Sat May 06, 2006 12:24 pm

I ran the TUR 6 30 K this morning. That stands for Toronto Ultra Races 6th Edition. It was still lightly raining at 5:50 am when I got up, but Accuweather radar showed that it should be gone by 8:00 am start time. On the road on time, 6:45, and there by 7:20. Still pretty cool and damp. Talked briefly with RonPerth and Ultrarune (Ryne). Decided to wear shorts, gloves, long sleeve shirt with orange Maniac T overtop. And we’re off.

I knew that they had more people than they were really ready for, 126! Roughly 40 doing 100K, 50 some doing 50K, and 30 some doing the 30. Still a few less than I’m used to. Tried to start out slow, but it never works. 4:51 first K. I didn’t let it bother me though, like I did at ATB. It felt comfortable, so I just let it flow. The course is a winding paved bike path beside the Humber river, past small brown lakes and over tributaries, 5 bridges I think. They were pretty much the only hills. Under the 401 and then turn around, at the 5K water stop. It’s a 5K out and 5K back route, I did it 3 times. So you see everyone quite a few times. It was a very friendly crowd, lots of encouragement. Most of them all know each other, but there must have been a lot of new faces.

The first 5K took me 24:09, not too fast I’m hoping! Felt easy so I didn’t worry, but I’ve only run 30K once before in my life. After 10K, 48:57, that’s gotta be a personal best, oops. My goal is 2:37, I figured I could do 2:40, and thought 2:35 was a little optimistic. And that would be a full 10 minute pb after ATB’s 2:47. So I figured at this point, 5 minute pace for the first 10K, the 5:10 for 10, and final 10 do 5:20s. It went quick at this point, maybe it was seeing same people over and over (Hi Ryne, hi Mike, (mlazenby) hi Ron. And lots of people I didn’t know,)

I kept up the 5 minute K pace though, and I mean several in a row bang on 5:00. Then its 15K, halfway, then 20 in 1:39:33. Still flowing easy, I was waiting for the crash. I wasn’t sure how perfect my Garmin info was, because we went over 100 metres under the 401. But I knew at the turnarounds that I was doing good. After the last turnaround at 25K, I lagged just a bit for a while. But at a k marker, I saw that I had a shot at 2:30, so I picked it up for a couple, following right behind a guy in a Boston jacket. Of course, he was going all 100K. Eased up a bit again, then pushed it with about 1.7K to go. A little too soon, that hurt and I couldn’t sustain it. Came around the corner to the finish after catching Boston guy, and saw the clock counting down, 2:29:48, 49 as I crossed. Maybe around 2:29:51. After giving up my ankle chip, the race director says “man you missed it by 1 minute", of course I say missed what. He says first place in your age group, then says how old are you anyway? 49 I say, I guess I missed it by a minute, who knew. I tell him I did just great for me etc. personal best by 17 minutes. I’m happy.

Because a lot of people were continuing on, it almost didn’t seem over to me. Time seemed to fly by. It was only 10:30.

Got a cotton tshirt, a keychain(dogtag), and a book, “Running to Win” by George Sheehan.

Ryne had been running second all day, first 100 meters behind, then 200, 300 etc. When he came around at40K it was 2:42, he was in 3rd place about 10 minutes behind ( I was in the portaloo when the race leader came by). Someone asked him how he was felling, he said “aw F***, I guess its not supposed to be easy is it.”
Ron and Mike looked solid, they were also doing 50K. Mike was about a K behind me at the 20K mark, not a bad pace for someone going that far.

I left about 20 minutes after I finished, there was still a cool breeze for a sweaty guy, and I was home before 11:30! Another record for sure.

Only time I’ve ever beaten a 5 minute K pace in a race it was a 5K, so I probably set new pbs in all distances up to 30! Nothing hurts (yet) and I think I could do it all over again every weekend. Bring on the Maniac Fall tour!!!
Last edited by Doonst on Tue May 09, 2006 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sat May 06, 2006 12:56 pm

Holy crap man! That's a great time! Sounds like a fun day. I wish I'd been there, but raceday registration was $50 (a bit rich for my blood, for a training run).

Nice going!! 8)

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat May 06, 2006 1:02 pm

wow, you're fast! awesome job!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Sat May 06, 2006 1:04 pm

Nice one!!! And sub 2.30, you gotta be pleased. So, a nice easy 20K tomorrow to get you prepped for the fall??
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Sat May 06, 2006 1:11 pm

Excellent, way to go!!

:D
Love life, eat plants, do yoga.

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sat May 06, 2006 1:38 pm

dgrant wrote:Holy crap man! That's a great time! Sounds like a fun day. I wish I'd been there, but raceday registration was $50 (a bit rich for my blood, for a training run).

Nice going!! 8)

Thanks everybody. Dave it was only $25 to sign up a month ago. (Deal).
next up:

One fine day
One fine day

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Sat May 06, 2006 1:46 pm

Wow! Nice running. A 17-minute PB is amazing, especially this soon after ATB. That's quite the improvement in short time. Congratulations.

BaldGuy
Jerome Drayton

Postby BaldGuy » Sat May 06, 2006 1:46 pm

Sheldon, that's a helluva race, congratulation!!! I'm in awe. I look forward to the reports from your fall half-marathon season!
BG

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sat May 06, 2006 1:49 pm

jgore wrote:Wow! Nice running. A 17-minute PB is amazing, especially this soon after ATB. That's quite the improvement in short time. Congratulations.

Of course I also crammed Waterloo Half in there, which was a 5.5 second PB. You take it when you get it.
next up:

One fine day
One fine day

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sat May 06, 2006 1:56 pm

smokin' PB and time, dude ... congratulations ... woohoo ... :whistle:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sat May 06, 2006 1:57 pm

BG wrote:Sheldon, that's a helluva race, congratulation!!! I'm in awe. I look forward to the reports from your fall half-marathon season!

I look forward to congratulating you in a couple of weeks James; back atcha.
next up:

One fine day
One fine day

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Sat May 06, 2006 2:53 pm

I really enjoyed your report Doonst! Sounds like you ran a very good race and you felt great!!! Don't you just love when that happens??

I know you are doing those 10 races in 12 weeks in the fall. Just how many are you doing this spring???? :wink:
Jane

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Sat May 06, 2006 3:20 pm

Awesome time!!! Congratulations on your PB!!! :lol:
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Sat May 06, 2006 4:47 pm

Smoking fast!
:D
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sat May 06, 2006 4:50 pm

great work Doonst!!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Sat May 06, 2006 4:58 pm

awesome race - great report!
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sat May 06, 2006 9:11 pm

nice run big man, I knew you had it in you.

That's a great time!
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sat May 06, 2006 9:43 pm

WOW, that's fast! Amazing job. Sooooo is Boston in your future?? :twisted:
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Sun May 07, 2006 11:54 am

Wow!! Great job!!

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Sun May 07, 2006 12:14 pm

Wow Sheldon, you are smokin this spring, I can't wait to follow your fall adventure. Congratulations! :D

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sun May 07, 2006 12:25 pm

QuickChick wrote:WOW, that's fast! Amazing job. Sooooo is Boston in your future?? :twisted:

Boston, eh? Aren't I missing a few steps? :wink: I guess that I have to be pleased with my progress. I did plunk my results into race equivalncy calculators, mostly to see what half times they were equivalent to. Shocked the hell out of me when I glanced down at the marathon numbers: http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/rp.php?metres=30000&hr=2&min=29&sec=51&age=49&gender=M&Submit=Calculate
Equal to a BQ for a guy like me by 11 seconds! But I know well just how much that means and doesn't mean. Something about the next 12 K being a whole nuther race. Where'd I hear that? And I guess I'd actually have to run a marathon, no current plans. I'd rather continue my Travellings with David (and Barbara). If I survive that, its gotta make me faster.

runjanerun wrote:I know you are doing those 10 races in 12 weeks in the fall. Just how many are you doing this spring???? :wink:

Just what it says in my sig. I guess I'll see you at Sulphur Springs. I'm most focussed on training to keep up with Rune for 165K in 2 days on the Bruce Penninsula. :?

On a totally unrelated note, has anyone heard anything about the Friendly Massey Marathon in July???
next up:

One fine day
One fine day

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sun May 07, 2006 1:43 pm

Doonst wrote:On a totally unrelated note, has anyone heard anything about the Friendly Massey Marathon in July???

I've looked into it, but their website is awfully minimalist. I get the impression it would be like Waterloo.

For July races, consider the July 9th Utica Boilermaker (15K) or the July 16 Presqu'ile Half Marathon (Erie, PA)... in addition to Wolfe Island of course.

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sun May 07, 2006 1:46 pm

dgrant wrote:
Doonst wrote:On a totally unrelated note, has anyone heard anything about the Friendly Massey Marathon in July???

I've looked into it, but their website is awfully minimalist. I get the impression it would be like Waterloo.

For July races, consider the July 9th Utica Boilermaker (15K) or the July 16 Presqu'ile Half Marathon (Erie, PA)... in addition to Wolfe Island of course.

I guess the thing is, its a marathon... and a BQer to boot. :shhh:
next up:

One fine day
One fine day

mlazenby
Bill Crothers

Postby mlazenby » Sun May 07, 2006 2:03 pm

Hey Sheldon. Nice run. You looked like you were enjoying yourself. Too bad we didn't get a chance to talk except on the run-bys. :wink:

Congrats.
Hola!

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sun May 07, 2006 2:06 pm

mlazenby wrote:Hey Sheldon. Nice run. You looked like you were enjoying yourself. Too bad we didn't get a chance to talk except on the run-bys. :wink:

Congrats.

So howdya do?
next up:

One fine day
One fine day

Return to “Run/Race Reports”