Tell me the truth

Questions and comments about the forum or the web site

What do you think about the non-forum sections of the site?

I never use them and wouldn't miss them
88%
I use them occasionally
9%
I use them regularly and we should keep them
3%
I only use certain pages (tell me below which ones)
No votes

Total votes: 33

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Tell me the truth

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:54 pm

Does anyone use any part of this website besides the forum?

The site is so out of date... and even when I was regularly updating it, pretty much everyone came straight to the forum.

Is there a value in keeping the old, out-of-date pages? I'm considering ditching them.

We could move the links list here and update them more regularly.

Thoughts?
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

jes
Jerome Drayton

Re: Tell me the truth

Postby jes » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:09 am

I always forget they're even there.
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:11 am

We have other sections?

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:19 am

We should have a complete section on running bras with photos, videos, before and after pictures etc.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:23 am

I never use them, straight to the forum.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:37 am

drghfx wrote:We should have a complete section on running bras with photos, videos, before and after pictures etc.

-10 beers :twisted: :twisted:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Midge
Jerome Drayton

Postby Midge » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:48 am

drghfx wrote:We should have a complete section on running bras with photos, videos, before and after pictures etc.
what he said

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
;) early and ;) often - it pays off in the long run

"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:25 am

I check the routes page when I'm running out of town.

That's about it.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:43 am

turd ferguson wrote:I check the routes page when I'm running out of town.

That's about it.

I wonder if we should have a routes section on the forum. We could have sub-sections for each province, and people can add as many as they want.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk 4

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:01 am

I did use the Event Reviews section when I first came to RM, but now it's pretty dated. I generally just search the forum for a race report if I'm looking for info on an event.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:36 am

Jo-Jo wrote:

Hey, I'm just trying to get the hits up!

ETA: Dang that spellcheck! It changed my word into hits.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:46 am

That's about it.

I'm the one who voted: "I use them occasionally"

And it's for that reason Turd mentionned.
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:17 pm

ultraslacker wrote:

That's about it.

I wonder if we should have a routes section on the forum. We could have sub-sections for each province, and people can add as many as they want.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk 4

I like this idea.

For the most part, I've forgotten about all the other pages on RM.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:19 pm

ultraslacker wrote:

That's about it.

I like that idea. We can post turn-by-turn descriptions, or links to gmaps or map my run.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:47 pm

We already have Event Reviews inside the Forum. We could bring the Links and Routes inside as well. This would make them easier to manage since they would just be threads/posts. They don't get updated today since it requires someone (i.e. Holly) to update the site's web pages to do that.
Trying to figure out how we would let folks update/add Routes but still have the front page with a total list of the Routes. Otherwise it would get pretty messy and disorganised. I guess we could have a Summary thread with url links to the relevant detailed threads in the same forum. Would we let folks update the Summary list themselves...might be problematic seeing how many times the Birthday list gets corrupted?
I would think we could have a Links thread that would be managed by a Moderator/Admin. We do get organisations asking for us to provide links to their sites but we would probably want to maintain some control over what links get posted here? Most of the current Links are still useful but there are more we could add. And we should combine the Training Programme links into the same page/thread.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:03 pm

Asking the regulars on the site may not give the full view.

I know I only check the discussion forum- nothing else.

I recently started poking around at a triathlon forum, and it has similar breadth of content, at least on the surface. After checking back several times I realize that the linked articles and features never change-- and it starts to look stale.

It would be nice if we had more regularly updated content outside of the forum. I would be willing to contribute to helping keeping those things up to date. I don't think a links thread is the answer-- it needs to be something more active and accessible on the main page.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:41 pm

Jwolf wrote:It would be nice if we had more regularly updated content outside of the forum. I would be willing to contribute to helping keeping those things up to date. I don't think a links thread is the answer-- it needs to be something more active and accessible on the main page.

But that's exactly my point--in the first few years we DID have new content regularly, and I kept things up-to-date, and I begged people to submit things like routes and event reviews, and even then everyone just used the forum, and getting people to submit content was like pulling teeth. It's not worth putting time into it if no one wants to use the content we're creating. And even when people volunteer to help, it still requires me to put time and effort into making things work.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:43 pm

Nick wrote:Trying to figure out how we would let folks update/add Routes but still have the front page with a total list of the Routes. Otherwise it would get pretty messy and disorganised. I guess we could have a Summary thread with url links to the relevant detailed threads in the same forum. Would we let folks update the Summary list themselves...might be problematic seeing how many times the Birthday list gets corrupted?

Not necessary. We can have sub-fora based on geography, and then people can browse the threads by locations. It's not like there will be hundreds of routes per city (and if there are we can use the search engine to find specific ones).

I'll set it up to show you what I mean.

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:00 pm

I don't have permission to view the routes forum pages?
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:04 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
Jwolf wrote:It would be nice if we had more regularly updated content outside of the forum. I would be willing to contribute to helping keeping those things up to date. I don't think a links thread is the answer-- it needs to be something more active and accessible on the main page.

But that's exactly my point--in the first few years we DID have new content regularly, and I kept things up-to-date, and I begged people to submit things like routes and event reviews, and even then everyone just used the forum, and getting people to submit content was like pulling teeth. It's not worth putting time into it if no one wants to use the content we're creating. And even when people volunteer to help, it still requires me to put time and effort into making things work.

I was thinking more like links to resources and news, not necessarily routes and events.

I think newcomers to the site do look at the resources and links. The veterans come back only for the forum.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:19 pm

Mark 2.1 wrote:I don't have permission to view the routes forum pages?

try it now.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:35 pm

Jwolf wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:

I was thinking more like links to resources and news, not necessarily routes and events.

I think newcomers to the site do look at the resources and links. The veterans come back only for the forum.

I don't know. We talked about this a few years back and I think one conclusion we came to was that there were other sites doing race calendars, training plans, etc. far better than we could, why would we bother. Who would come here for a marathon training plan?

(other than links)
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:57 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:

I don't know. We talked about this a few years back and I think one conclusion we came to was that there were other sites doing race calendars, training plans, etc. far better than we could, why would we bother. Who would come here for a marathon training plan?

(other than links)

I'm talking about us creating out own new plans, but even the training page got outdated pretty quickly when all the links broke. It would be nice to have resources that were up to date. And links to current news in running and training. MAYBE even some original content. :) Like make some of the best race reports or whatever into articles that can be accessed on a resource page.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:04 pm

but we can have all of that within the forum. :/

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:59 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:

It's OK, I got you covered man. +10 beers. :wink:
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Return to “Site News, Questions, and Comments”