Ham roast dinner?

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
pts
Lynn Williams

Ham roast dinner?

Postby pts » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:59 pm

I am planning one for next weekend (birthdays for D and my mom). The problem is, I don't know how to make ham (I am a longtime vegetarian), or how to put sides with it. We don't eat food with sides generally, we are more a curry/stir fry/Mexican etc one pot family.

So, side ideas? We will have lots of parsnips and carrots from our CSA, some squash and of course potatoes. Othwr seasonal stuff we can get easily, i am not eager for stuff that is out of season. Recipes please!
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Ham roast dinner?

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:08 pm

What kind of ham are you doing?
Ham hock?
Or pre-packaged, cooked ham that just needs warmed up? (The ones that are shaped like a football :lol: )

Broccoli bake is good. (I'll try and find the recipe).
Scallop potatos
Glazed carrots
Baked yams
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:11 pm

I can't find my recipe, but this one is pretty close. I use fresh broccoli, and real cheese instead of cheddar soup

http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/15203/br ... vtid_tab=b

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:13 pm

Habs4ever wrote:Scallop potatos

This is the only answer.

Also (as long as we're on ham) some nice homemade grainy mustard for dippin'
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Ham roast dinner?

Postby Samantha » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:15 pm

turd ferguson wrote:

This is the only answer.

This. And peas. Don't ask me why but that's what my mom always makes with ham. Sub any veggie you like.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:28 pm

turd ferguson wrote:

This is the only answer.

Mustard for sure

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:31 pm

Now I want Ham !
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:39 pm

I don't really know what kind of ham, except it is from a Berkshire pig we met last year. So, not precooked, I hope it doesn't have bones and stuff...eww.

And no to scalloped potatoes. D got Norwalk virus after a dinner that included scalloped potatoes, he hasn't touched them since!

Keep the ideas coming, great ones so far!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:59 pm

pts wrote:I don't really know what kind of ham, except it is from a Berkshire pig we met last year. So, not precooked, I hope it doesn't have bones and stuff...eww.

And no to scalloped potatoes. D got Norwalk virus after a dinner that included scalloped potatoes, he hasn't touched them since!

Keep the ideas coming, great ones so far!

dh is the meat cook in the family. When he cooks ham he makes a glaze with dry mustard and brown sugar.

My vote for veggies:

Roasted carrots/parsnips (drizzled with olive oil/touch of balsamic vinegar)
Baked squash (I halve them and bake with some butter and maple syrup in the "boat part")
Peas
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:14 pm

turd ferguson wrote:

This is the only answer.

Agree... scalloped and nothing else but mustard!
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:20 pm

MINITEE wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

This is the only answer.

Agree... scalloped and nothing else but mustard!

I agree that scallop potatos and ham go together but I don't think Erin's hubbie is going to go for it :D
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:42 pm

I don't eat ham and that's what my MIL decided to cook for Thanksgiving, so I filled up on all the side dishes. We had mashed potatoes, glazed carrots and green beans almondine. She also put a dish of pineapple slices on the table.
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:10 pm

I just spoke to my farmer and she told me it is the thigh, also called the "ham shank" part. Umm, gross. I talked to a chef at the market and she told me to shave off the skin (gulp!) then cut gashes in it and brine it a bit, the cook on high 450 then down to 325. Oh dear. Anyone want to come cook a ham for me?

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:24 pm

pts wrote:I just spoke to my farmer and she told me it is the thigh, also called the "ham shank" part. Umm, gross. I talked to a chef at the market and she told me to shave off the skin (gulp!) then cut gashes in it and brine it a bit, the cook on high 450 then down to 325. Oh dear. Anyone want to come cook a ham for me?

see if the farmer will to the skin part for you. that way you won't have to

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:16 pm

You're way nicer than me prats. I just refuse to cook ham or beef now, I don't even like the smell of it.
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:05 pm

getfit wrote:You're way nicer than me prats. I just refuse to cook ham or beef now, I don't even like the smell of it.

Yep...I too am impressed with Erin.

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:46 pm

Vichy carrots are just sweet enough to balance a salty ham.

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:46 am

toobusy wrote:
pts wrote:I just spoke to my farmer and she told me it is the thigh, also called the "ham shank" part. Umm, gross. I talked to a chef at the market and she told me to shave off the skin (gulp!) then cut gashes in it and brine it a bit, the cook on high 450 then down to 325. Oh dear. Anyone want to come cook a ham for me?

see if the farmer will to the skin part for you. that way you won't have to

This.

And ham shanks usually have a bone-in. You cook it with the "pointy end" up. I would wrap foil on the top to keep it moist. I think the "rule of thumb" is 20 minutes per pound (correct me if I'm wrong!) at 325. I've never made anything where I've started it on high and dropped it down (like the chef at the market suggested), so timing per pound might differ. Make the 'hash mark' gashes in it. I like a mustard-maple syrup glaze on it, or a spicy mustard glaze (but you have your kiddos who might be eating it, so this might not work).

Side ideas:
Pineapples with ham.
Green beans.
Cooked carrots.
Bread (yes, bread).
Roasted potatoes.
Grainy mustard for dipping (yum!).
Sweet potatoes.

Side note:
HaPPY BiRTHDAY D!
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:59 am

Never cooked one myself, but my mom used to do it with whole cloves, plus maraschino cherries and pineapple rings. Cloves were just pressed into the ham I think. Cherry inside a ring, stuck to the ham with toothpicks. Looks nice, the pineapple and cherries cooked with the ham were delicious.

Now I need some ham.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:27 pm

The "start the temp high, then reduce" method is to get the heat into the meat (and the bone) so that it will can also cook from the inside-out. I do this with turkey, too.

Preheat oven to 425 (for a good 20-min or so), put the roast in for 20 minutes, then reduce the temp to 325 for the rest of the cooking.

Ham is "cured" as opposed to "cooked" so you're really just heating it through. You don't have to worry about the inside not being cooked if you take it out too soon. Worst case is it's not hot enough in the middle. It's not like turkey where you'd end up with raw meat in the middle if it were under-cooked.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:18 pm

La wrote:Ham is "cured" as opposed to "cooked" so you're really just heating it through. You don't have to worry about the inside not being cooked if you take it out too soon. Worst case is it's not hot enough in the middle. It's not like turkey where you'd end up with raw meat in the middle if it were under-cooked.

even when it's coming straight from the farmer? isn't there a risk of trichinosis from undercooked pork?

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:21 pm

I don't like a sweet glaze on my ham, 'cause then the leftover meat is too sweet for pea soup. I do pour Vernor's on the ham though, and stick cloves all over it. I make slash marks by cutting lines on the horizontal and then the vertical, about an inch apart. through the skin, into the fat, but not into the meat... Cover with foil, and put into 325 degree oven. Cook to 160 degrees F. (Then no risk of trichinosis - which is rare these days). I do cook it low for way longer than prescribed, but that's just me...

I like mashed sweet potatoes/ squash with ham. And baked beans! :D
Another good accompaniment is Brussels sprouts. Or leeks - both of which are in season now.
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:34 pm

trixiee wrote:I don't like a sweet glaze on my ham, 'cause then the leftover meat is too sweet for pea soup. I do pour Vernor's on the ham though, and stick cloves all over it. I make slash marks by cutting lines on the horizontal and then the vertical, about an inch apart. through the skin, into the fat, but not into the meat... Cover with foil, and put into 325 degree oven. Cook to 160 degrees F. (Then no risk of trichinosis - which is rare these days). I do cook it low for way longer than prescribed, but that's just me...

I like mashed sweet potatoes/ squash with ham. And baked beans! :D
Another good accompaniment is Brussels sprouts. Or leeks - both of which are in season now.

This reminds me that we need to get together for a dinner before 2014!!!!
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:40 pm

deerdree wrote:
La wrote:Ham is "cured" as opposed to "cooked" so you're really just heating it through. You don't have to worry about the inside not being cooked if you take it out too soon. Worst case is it's not hot enough in the middle. It's not like turkey where you'd end up with raw meat in the middle if it were under-cooked.

even when it's coming straight from the farmer? isn't there a risk of trichinosis from undercooked pork?

If it's ham, the farmer isn't giving you a raw piece of pork meat! Ham isn't ham unless it's cured. So regardless of the temperature you heat it to, you're not "cooking" it, anyway.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:54 pm

La wrote:
deerdree wrote:

If it's ham, the farmer isn't giving you a raw piece of pork meat! Ham isn't ham unless it's cured. So regardless of the temperature you heat it to, you're not "cooking" it, anyway.

I guess that's why I was confused because I wouldn't call a pig leg "ham". Would you brine a ham? But then I figured it was like sausage - you can buy fully-cooked and uncooked sausage, can't you?

(I don't eat pig unless it's bacon, hence all my confusion)

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”