How do you feel about public race results

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu May 29, 2014 1:21 pm

http://runningmagazine.ca/edinburgh-mar ... on-outcry/

I never really thought twice about it. It seems to me that is it commonly accepted that race results would be openly and publicly available. Though I sure for some races there are results any of us would rather not have plastered on the internet.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re: How do you feel about public race results

Postby HCcD » Thu May 29, 2014 1:25 pm

Hey, I ran that race, ran a sub-2:30:xx and BQ, I tell ya !!! ... Not gonna have my results published, so you all just have to believe me ... Ha !!!! :shifty: :shock: :lol: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

cbaker1
Tom Longboat

Postby cbaker1 » Thu May 29, 2014 1:38 pm

I would like to see how I finished compared to the number overall and within my age group. As long as that is made available to me with my own result time, I really don't care about others.

Seems odd not to publish the results of a competitiion (running or otherwise) for everyone to see though.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu May 29, 2014 1:43 pm

I've stalked people on SportStats before. That's actually how I found out that I guy I was dating lied about his age (by 5 years!). :lol:

I don't know if they have a privacy policy whereby you could opt out of having your name published (e.g., just having "runner" as the name).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu May 29, 2014 1:43 pm

it does make us surprisingly easy to creep. :shifty:

One time I met a cute guy and as we were chatting he told me that he had run a certain race.

Afterwards I texted RA to tell her about this guy I met. Using only his first name and the name of the race, RA and I were able to find out his last name, age, city, other races he's run, photos, linkedin profile, etc. It's a surprising amount of information available.

(don't worry we aren't creepy stalkers... well maybe only when it comes to cute guys... ;)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu May 29, 2014 1:51 pm

Race results were how I tracked down the fellow that helped me up in Hamilton last year. I think he appreciated me getting in touch with him and thanking him, but he may have been a tad creeped out that I found him. It is soooo easy.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Thu May 29, 2014 2:03 pm

i used to read a blog where the writer blurred out her face in every picture but posted race shots with her bib number. i finally wrote and told her how easy it was for me to know who she was (given that privacy was clearly important).

i ran ATB with my bib on but without my chip this year because i didn't want my results posted online. i would love it if they had an option to "opt in" to the posting. it's funny to me that they have the option not to post your name when you register for a race, but not for the results. even an option to opt out would be great - something easy, though. i often don't want my race pictures posted, and they do have a disclaimer saying that you can write and ask them to take them down, but i feel like a self-conscious jerk doing that. i wish the option to opt out were a bit more accessible.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu May 29, 2014 2:15 pm

Put this in the category of things that make you go "huh." I don't get it.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu May 29, 2014 2:26 pm

deerdree wrote:i used to read a blog where the writer blurred out her face in every picture but posted race shots with her bib number. i finally wrote and told her how easy it was for me to know who she was (given that privacy was clearly important).

Oh yeah, online dating too!

So many people post photos in their profiles which have race bibs in them...

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu May 29, 2014 2:27 pm

(personally, I don't care. My whole life is online, or at least anything anyone would want to know.)

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu May 29, 2014 3:25 pm

I went and had a look at RR's standard waiver (the one that you have to check off that you've read but you can't print or anything).

I'm far more bothered by the use of photographs than names and numbers. I don't like the idea that my photo could be used for race advertising or whatever without compensating me.

Code: Select all

Waiver of Liability and Indemnity Agreement

I know that participating in physical fitness events is a potentially hazardous activity. I agree not to participate unless I am medically able and properly prepared. I should not participate without my physician's approval. I acknowledge that I am solely responsible for my own medical well being. I undertake to have available my medication and medical information when and if I have a medical event requiring attention.
"Event" shall include, but is not limited to, all activities, events or services in any way provided, organized, sponsored or authorized by the Event Organizers. On my own behalf, any minors or third parties for whom I am registering, I agree that (a) we will abide by any decision of an Event official concerning our ability to safely participate; (b) we will assume any and all risks associated with the Event; including but not limited to, falls, contact with other persons or objects, the effects of weather, traffic and course conditions; (c) we hereby consent to permit, and accept responsibility for emergency treatment in the event of injury or illness; (d) we understand if the Event cannot be held as scheduled, we may not be entitled to a refund of any money paid.

As a condition of entering this Event, I for myself, any minors, or any third party for whom I am acting, waive and release Running Room Canada Inc., Running Room (U.S.A.) Inc., and any associated or related entities, their directors, officers, employees, agents, representatives, sponsors, volunteers, and organizers ("Event Organizers"), from present and future claims and all liabilities of any kind, known or unknown, arising out of our participation in this Event or related activities, even though such claim or liability may arise out of negligence or fault on the part of the Event Organizers.

We agree that (a) the Event Organizers shall not be liable for any personal injury, death or property loss, and we release the Event Organizers and waive all claims with respect thereto, and (b) to hold harmless and indemnify the Event Organizers, from any and all liability from any property damage or personal injury to any third party resulting from my participation in the Event. We grant permission to Event Organizers to use or authorize others to use our personal information, including but not limited to, any photographs, images or documentation of our participation in this Event or related activities without remuneration being provided to us.

I represent and warrant (a) I am over eighteen (18) years of age, and that if I am registering a minor, that I am the parent or guardian of such minor; (b) if I am registering third parties, I have been duly authorized to act on behalf of such parties; and (c) that the terms of this registration shall apply equally to me, any minor and to any third parties for whom I am acting. The participation in the Event by a third party shall be their confirmation that I was acting as their agent.

By clicking the box above, I agree to the terms of this Waiver.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu May 29, 2014 3:40 pm

turd ferguson wrote:I'm far more bothered by the use of photographs than names and numbers. I don't like the idea that my photo could be used for race advertising or whatever without compensating me.

Ask Quickchick and Bruyere about this. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu May 29, 2014 3:46 pm

Jwolf wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:I'm far more bothered by the use of photographs than names and numbers. I don't like the idea that my photo could be used for race advertising or whatever without compensating me.

Ask Quickchick and Bruyere about this. :)

I remember that.

Let's be clear - there's a lot I don't like in that Running Room waiver - but its not a good day for me to talk about the doctrine of fundamental breach
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Thu May 29, 2014 4:14 pm

deerdree wrote:i ran ATB with my bib on but without my chip this year because i didn't want my results posted online. i would love it if they had an option to "opt in" to the posting. it's funny to me that they have the option not to post your name when you register for a race, but not for the results. even an option to opt out would be great - something easy, though.

Register under a fake name. It's not as though anyone is going to check. That way you can still get your time and not have it associated with your name.

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Thu May 29, 2014 4:20 pm

jgore wrote:
deerdree wrote:i ran ATB with my bib on but without my chip this year because i didn't want my results posted online. i would love it if they had an option to "opt in" to the posting. it's funny to me that they have the option not to post your name when you register for a race, but not for the results. even an option to opt out would be great - something easy, though.

Register under a fake name. It's not as though anyone is going to check. That way you can still get your time and not have it associated with your name.

i've done that, too. it gets tricky if they post your name on your bib. :lol:

i like that, though. a running pseudonym. hmmm, what would i choose...

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu May 29, 2014 4:30 pm

deerdree wrote:i like that, though. a running pseudonym. hmmm, what would i choose...

I've got mine

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Thu May 29, 2014 4:46 pm

jgore wrote:

Except that many of the bigger races have you shown photo id to confirm who you are when you pick up your bib.

I am in the "I do not get it" camp because this is a public RACE where the purpose is to see how fast you are against others. If you do not want that information published then go and run 42.2 K on any day and that is private.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu May 29, 2014 5:00 pm

Dstew wrote:
jgore wrote:

Except that many of the bigger races have you shown photo id to confirm who you are when you pick up your bib.

I am in the "I do not get it" camp because this is a public RACE where the purpose is to see how fast you are against others. If you do not want that information published then go and run 42.2 K on any day and that is private.

Wow- something Dave and I agree on completely! Must be something in the air. :)

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Thu May 29, 2014 5:12 pm

Jwolf wrote:
Dstew wrote:
jgore wrote:

We can chalk it up to my taper insanity. And just to prove it, all day I have had the following quote in my head:

“The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die.”

― Steve Prefontaine

Not sure that is the right mind set for the first time to tackle 50 K. :D

OLRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby OLRunner » Thu May 29, 2014 5:26 pm

The Queen city marathon has an option upon sign up, to leave one's name off the confirmation list and the results, but I think if you win an award/AG, then your name has to be printed.
"We still got a long way to go" Alice Cooper
"I don't wanna stop" Ozzy Osbourne

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Thu May 29, 2014 5:31 pm

And if you're wearing a shirt with a competitor's logo, they'll Photoshop it out of any such pictures.

deerdree wrote:it gets tricky if they post your name on your bib.

The Victoria Marathon lets you use a pseudonym on your race bib. I'll be "Max Power" this year.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu May 29, 2014 5:38 pm

Dstew wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
Dstew wrote:
jgore wrote:

We can chalk it up to my taper insanity. And just to prove it, all day I have had the following quote in my head:

― Steve Prefontaine

Especially a quote from someone who is.... dead.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu May 29, 2014 6:41 pm

Dstew wrote:Except that many of the bigger races have you shown photo id to confirm who you are when you pick up your bib.

I've never have to show id, even at bigger races (though I haven't run many of those) and even at races that claim to require id. Which ones actual do?

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Thu May 29, 2014 7:42 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
Dstew wrote:Except that many of the bigger races have you shown photo id to confirm who you are when you pick up your bib.

I've never have to show id, even at bigger races (though I haven't run many of those) and even at races that claim to require id. Which ones actual do?

I did at Boston and some races seem to be moving in that direction such as in Calgary where they are encouraging people to bring the bib id number emailed just to them. However and really more to my main point, a race is defined as:

compete with another or others to see who is fastest at covering a set course or achieving an objective.

Having done a number trail races, one year it might be dry, the next mud so the time is not really important. Or they are constantly changing venues or having to alter start and finish because of a bear in the area so how fast you ran it is relatively unimportant compared to how fast you were relative to your competitors. And in road races, the only time your chip time is important is if you are trying to qualify for some other race but again, it is a RACE and in the public domain so there is no obligation for you to enter the race. As I said, with a GPS device one can run against the clock and in complete privacy any time they want. And there are a number of "FUN RUNS' that are not timed and have no results.

Privacy issues: Reduce it down to name and age group, not a specific age. If there are photos, a separate and individual link can be sent to each runner.

Enter a public race on public roads and the reasonable expectation of privacy has been waived or so I would argue.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Thu May 29, 2014 7:47 pm

Jwolf wrote:
Dstew wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
Dstew wrote:
jgore wrote:

― Steve Prefontaine

Especially a quote from someone who is.... dead.

Or at least when I am driving to pick up my bib or to get to the race. :twisted:

The sad thing is that I actually figured out that if I ran the first 30 K with a 6:00 minute per kilometer pace and that last 20 K at a 7:00 per kilometer pace that I would finish the same time if I ran a constant 6:24 pace. I then wondered how much more pain would I be in if I went out too fast and then staggered in and needless to say, the risk of a DNF would be significantly more. My mind scares me during taper.

Return to “General Running Discussion”