Time’s up, barefoot runners. Make way for fat-soled running

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:48 am

Barefoot running prevents all your injuries. No, wait, barefoot running causes all your injuries.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-y ... s/?hpid=z4
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Re: Time’s up, barefoot runners. Make way for fat-soled runn

Postby jgore » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:07 am

Run in what works for you. What anyone else chooses to wear is none of your business. :lol:

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:20 am

Those things are fugly.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:29 am

jgore wrote:Run in what works for you. What anyone else cooses to wear is none of your business. :lol:

Come on Jim. Where's your sense of evangelical fervour for the latest trend?
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:46 pm

Any design principle that can be marketed will eventually be taken too far. I can't wait:

As for the studies, there's irrefutable evidence that wearing crocs all day and following a zero-mileage training plan reduces the rate of running injuries to zero.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:10 pm

ian wrote:Any design principle that can be marketed will eventually be taken too far. I can't wait:

As for the studies, there's irrefutable evidence that wearing crocs all day and following a zero-mileage training plan reduces the rate of running injuries to zero.

Did I not see a crew of idiots wearing these in the Calgary marathon last weekend?

ETA: It was in the Mothers Day race a few weeks back.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:19 pm

Sunday on the seawall I saw someone wearing something even more odd- it looked like two of the blades that people with prosthetic legs use, but these were attached to shoes (and being used by a person with two full legs).
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:32 pm

La wrote:Those things are fugly.

I agree.

It's all just gimmickry anyway. :P
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:41 pm

Jwolf wrote:Sunday on the seawall I saw someone wearing something even more odd- it looked like two of the blades that people with prosthetic legs use, but these were attached to shoes (and being used by a person with two full legs).

Like jumping stilts? I've seen street magicians and other jerks wear those to hope around and perform but never seen them running

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:46 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
Jwolf wrote:Sunday on the seawall I saw someone wearing something even more odd- it looked like two of the blades that people with prosthetic legs use, but these were attached to shoes (and being used by a person with two full legs).

Like jumping stilts? I've seen street magicians and other jerks wear those to hope around and perform but never seen them running

Maybe that's what they were but they looked more like blades on the bottom (unless my brain made that up- which it could have). The person was definitely doing something that approximated running.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:07 pm

Huh. I didn't know Hoka was owned by the same company that owns Ugg and Teva. I guess they're all about the, um... less attractive footwear. :lol:

I have a few friends who run in Altras and quite like them. As Jim said... whatever works for you!

In other (pretty unrelated) news, Skechers has apparently come out with an ultra shoe, and I'm told it's actually not bad.
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:07 pm

turd ferguson wrote:Image

I saw somebody running in those last week. :roll:

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:25 am

I have a friend who SWEARS by the Hoka One One...

He doesn't appreciate when I ask to borrow them so I can reach the top shelf in my cupboard.

I am not sold. I am comfortable and pain/injury free in my Minimus and Lunars. I'll stick with those for as long as I can. Looks like I may be able to pick some up on clearance if this new trend takes off! :dance:
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:00 am

and I'm still wearing the Mizuno Inspires... have been wearing them since I started distance running in 2005. Plain old run-of-the-mill road shoe. :P
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:29 pm

turd ferguson wrote:Image
Did I not see a crew of idiots wearing these in the Calgary marathon last weekend?

ETA: It was in the Mothers Day race a few weeks back.

I saw a crew wearing these at BMO last month. It was at the end of the half and they had bibs on, but I don’t recall seeing them in the finish chute when I was there watching the finishers come in.

My cousin’s husband wears Hoka’s and swears by them. I also have a friend that works for the company that distributes Hoka’s, for Canada and she’s told me they can’t fill the orders fast enough.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:03 pm

Altras and Kinvara3's for me. I use them on alternate runs. My race shoes are the new Altra One Squared - a very light zero drop shoe.

scottch
Percy Williams

Postby scottch » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:59 pm

Jwolf wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

http://flipermag.com/wp-content/uploads ... hoes-6.jpg

Maybe that's what they were but they looked more like blades on the bottom (unless my brain made that up- which it could have). The person was definitely doing something that approximated running.

Possibly these
http://www.trampit.com/

Return to “Gearing Up”