Lisa P on the Limberlost Trails!

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Lisa P on the Limberlost Trails!

Postby purdy65 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:00 am

This race report took a few days to get to because I needed time to absorb my experience on the trails! I had some mixed feelings.

DH and I decided it would be better to get to the race from the cottage - (1hr 30min drive), then from home (3 hr), and I didn't really want to stay in a motel, so we headed up to the cottage Friday afternoon. My wonderful sister indulged my request for carbs and prepared an excellent pasta dinner! Perfect! It was a really nice evening so we just hung a bit down at the lake and headed to bed early. It was going to be an early morning on Saturday!

Up and dressed with oatmeal consumed by 6am, we hit the road. Amazingly we did not get lost once, and easily found the race area. I quickly picked up my bib (I love small races!) and proceeded to run into tons of people I knew. The crew from the RR, a maniac who, I think, lurks, but does not post much any more (KB), and a couple of friends of my sisters! This was so nice! The weather was perfect too!

We got my husband set up right under a tent at the start/finish, and since we had the dog, we walked around with him a bit.

Finally! After the 56K, 42K, and 28K runners had departed, it was time for us 14K'rs. Off we started down the road to the beginning of the trails. Trails - oh so soft and cushy. This is going to be fun I thought! It wasn't long before we hit some really technical parts though, and running was impossible (which it was MUCH of the course). They did mention that the trails were muddy, but being a newbie, I had little comprehension of what that really meant. Well for future reference it means 'MUDDY' - ankle to calf deep, with no real way to avoid it. And it was constant throughout (my shoes are still recovering). Nevertheless, I ran when I could, and walked when I had to. There was very few 'flat' areas though. It was a constant up and down, up and down.

I don't know what I was doing wrong though, because I kept landing on my left foot on the side, and my ankle and calf became really sore. It wasn't too bad at the time, but it was frustrating, because I kept doing it again and again!
I stopped and relaxed a bit the fantastic aid stations (unlike whizzing through them in a road race). Let me see... Gummie bears, chips, pretzels, fruit - nice! :D

I really enjoyed the scenery - the forest was awesome, but I really need more experience trail running to really enjoy it. I think my inexperience really showed. This course was also, from what I hear, VERY technical in comparison to many. The muddy conditions did not help at all. The 14K that I covered was some of the hardest running I've ever done. Time to finish was 2:01:35 - still good for 9/26 in my age group, so not totally embarrassing anyway.

Now the finish area was great! A fantastic lunch of salads and chicken kebobs was yummy! Plus there was a lake nearby to wash of the muck - it was a popular spot! :lol: :lol: :lol:

So all in all, I enjoyed it, with the exception that I kept turning my ankle. It was a bit frustrating too, because you would be smoking along on a nice section, and than BAM! Mud or hills or rivers to cross.

I cannot compute doing this for 100 miles in the middle of the night though - heck! I couldn't even compute one more loop! Maybe if my calf wasn't so sore after the 14, I would have been happier, I'm sure.

I spent yesterday resting the calf (I could barely walk), but today it is SOO much better. I might be off running for a day or two more. It is an acute injury, and has healed so much already, that I know if I rest it, it will be completely fine.

Kudos to the organizers! It was a truly well run event! Despite the hurt, I'm glad I did it. It humbled this cocky road racer a bit.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Re: Lisa P on the Limberlost Trails!

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:14 am

Way to go Lisa, sounds like you picked a challenging course for you first trail race! You did awesome though. Hope the ankle is ok. Probably was just the harder conditions. Well done and glad you got to see KB and other people you knew :)

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:22 am

nice report.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:29 am

Cool! 8) Hope the ankle heals soon.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

c_mcpeake
Johnny Miles

Postby c_mcpeake » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:59 pm

Great race report. Limberlost can be tough thats for sure. Congrats on your race

I know all about Limberlost ankle pain :-)
2014 races (this year)
June 22 Mohican 100m, July 5 Creemore 50k, July 12 Limberlost 56k, Aug 8 Dirty Girls 48hr, Sept 6 Haliburton 100, Oct 11 Oil Creek 100m
coaching site: http://www.candcrunningfactory.com/
personal blog: http://www.chrismcpeake.blogspot.ca/

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:06 pm

Congratulations, Lisa! Nice way to step out of your comfort zone.

Trail running is definitely a completely different beast. But such beautiful territory.

I hope you heal up well.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:12 pm

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it!!
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:59 pm

Well done! It's so fun to get off the road and onto trails.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:19 pm

Wow, you picked a tough one for your first trail race. Well done, congratulations!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:59 pm

Congratulations on a super effort. Nice report as well! :)

Return to “Run/Race Reports”