Piriformis Syndrome

The grisly details and tales of the road back

MrBond
Bill Crothers

Piriformis Syndrome

Postby MrBond » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:04 am

Its been ongoing since the first week of May, and all the stretching exercises aren't helping.
Any hints ?
Thanks in advance...
"You're in over your head Donny..."

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Piriformis Syndrome

Postby La » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:13 am

Foam roller or baseball/softball/tennis ball. Massage where the RMT gets in there with their elbow (owie!).

Also, you can try to strengthen the glutes - medius and minimus- so that they are doing the work they should be doing, which could relieve pressure on the glute-max/piriformis.

In my case, PS is brought on by stress/worry, so if you can work on reducing that (yeah, I know, it's hard :roll: ), that can help, too.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

MrBond
Bill Crothers

Postby MrBond » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:15 pm

La wrote:In my case, PS is brought on by stress/worry, so if you can work on reducing that (yeah, I know, it's hard :roll: ), that can help, too.

Good luck on that for both of us - perhaps a 'beverage' and a gabfest might help....
"You're in over your head Donny..."

kab
Bruce Kidd

Postby kab » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:10 pm

MrBond wrote:
La wrote:In my case, PS is brought on by stress/worry, so if you can work on reducing that (yeah, I know, it's hard :roll: ), that can help, too.

Good luck on that for both of us - perhaps a 'beverage' and a gabfest might help....

Also stretch your quads as tight quads makes it a lot worse. I have had this pain in the a$$ for over 20 years. You just learn how to keep it in check after a while. The worst thing for me is to sit in a chair with raised edges, like an office chair. Seems to really flare it up.
Oct 26, 2014 Vancouver Rock and Roll Half
Feb 22, 2015 Hypothermic half wave 1

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:21 am

consider shockwave therapy ... I had piriformis post a hamstring / low back injury. Despite physio/ ultrasound / RMT / ART and stretching like crazy it never totally went away. I took 3 months off running for the hamstring injury. Still had piriformis issues! Finally my RMT/ ART started using shockwave and said 'let's try this and see if it helps." Two treatments and gone! I am currently having a return of the hamstring issue (once I started hill work again it let me know it was not yet ready) and that has started some piri issues as well but one shockwave took care of it. Now if the hamstring would heal that quickly too :(

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:47 pm

I've had piriformis issues off and on for several years. I was able to find some relief from Active Release Therapy.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”