Tight Hamstrings

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Tight Hamstrings

Postby IronGoddess » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:41 pm

Last week after a bootcamp class that included dead lifts my hamstrings were super tight so I rolled and stretched and found some relieve but then two days later had a killer speed workout at the track since then I have iced, rolled and stretched but so far no relieve. My last run was on Wednesday and it was awful so I put the running aside for 2 days and just swam. Today I went to my speed work group and found that after the warmup I was so tight I could not do the speed session. It is both hamstrings equally so my coach does not think it is a pull or a tear. Any ideas, suggestions? I do have a RMT session but not until Friday.
IMC 2015

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Re: Tight Hamstrings

Postby marymac442 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:39 pm

I couldn't bike and do speed work last year as my hamstrings complained too much. I would say definitely ease up on the intensity until the recover.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:55 pm

Agh not what I wanted to hear. But could you still manage long distances.
IMC 2015

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:51 pm

I constantly battle tight hamstrings and glutes. When I was younger I never had to stretch. I was the person who everyone called "Gumby". I could bend anyway I wanted. Now, if I miss a day or two of stretching my hamstrings and glutes I tighten right up.
Sitting on the floor and lowering your head to your knee will stretch the hamstring near your knee.
Standing up and putting your leg up on a table or ledge will stretch the hamstring near the glute. (Be very careful with this one though as it's easy to over stretch). Another variation of this would laying on your back, legs out straight and hooking a towel around one foot and bringing your leg up to a 90 degree angle. You have more control this way.
I don't know if I explained those right or not, but in my mind I can see what I mean. :wink:

Patience, and just keep working at it without forcing the stretch.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:52 pm

Running Goddess wrote:Agh not what I wanted to hear. But could you still manage long distances.

You how how far I run!
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:22 pm

Running Goddess wrote:Agh not what I wanted to hear. But could you still manage long distances.

I did fine as long as I didn't push the speed too much, but you may need to let your hamstrings heal a bit first if they are really sore right now.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:26 pm

Three words. Downward facing dogs. Great for the hammies :)
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:28 am

purdy65 wrote:Three words. Downward facing dogs. Great for the hammies :)

This. I find that doing sun salutations semi-regularly really helps out with tightness all down the back of the legs.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:37 pm

I do the hamstring stretches Habs mentions above, because they allow me to stretch the hamstrings gently without straining the lower back. I agree with marymace, though, it sounds like your hammies are asking for a little reprieve right now. Hope you're feeling better soon!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:14 pm

Well I did my LSD yesterday all 2 hrs of it. I went really slow and did 10 and 1's. Followed it up with a soak in the ocean and stretches, foam roller and my usual core work and today I feel no worse and even maybe a bit better. Today is a swim day so maybe tomorrow will be even better.
IMC 2015

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:48 am

A little late to the discussion, but good to hear that you're able to keep going. I get really tight (and sometimes sore) hamstrings as well, and I think it's because they do extra work to compensate for other weaker muscles. Mine have improved a bit since I got a yoga DVD that has a "happy hips" program on it. Because yoga works on strength, flexibility, and balance, I think it not only stretches my hamstrings, but works out a few of the muscles that I don't normally do much for by mostly running. It might all be placebo effect, but whatever keeps you happy & running!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:30 am

When I had pain up high in my hamstrings, the PT said it was because my hip flexors were tight (and tilting my pelvis, which put strain on the hamstrings). So, rather than stretching the hamstrings themselves (and risk injury to an already sore muscle group), stretch the opposite (for lack of a better word) muscle group: the hip flexors.

Tight hip flexors are common among cyclists and people who sit all day long.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:34 pm

La wrote:When I had pain up high in my hamstrings, the PT said it was because my hip flexors were tight (and tilting my pelvis, which put strain on the hamstrings). So, rather than stretching the hamstrings themselves (and risk injury to an already sore muscle group), stretch the opposite (for lack of a better word) muscle group: the hip flexors.

This.

I find that sitting in a chair all day at the office, plus time on the bike makes my hip flexors very tight and messes everything else up.

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:46 pm

eme wrote:
La wrote:When I had pain up high in my hamstrings, the PT said it was because my hip flexors were tight (and tilting my pelvis, which put strain on the hamstrings). So, rather than stretching the hamstrings themselves (and risk injury to an already sore muscle group), stretch the opposite (for lack of a better word) muscle group: the hip flexors.

This.

I find that sitting in a chair all day at the office, plus time on the bike makes my hip flexors very tight and messes everything else up.

Stupid question: Are the hip flexors the same thing as the quads?

--Curious (and tight all over) in Sherbrooke
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:44 pm

Avis wrote:
eme wrote:

This.

Stupid question: Are the hip flexors the same thing as the quads?

--Curious (and tight all over) in Sherbrooke

Nope. They are at the front of your hips, above your quads.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:28 pm

but closely related, and the stretches often overlap.

my worst running injury was in a quad but I often felt it in my hip flexor.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:28 am

I've been having a lot of success with active isolated stretching (AIS), proponets - Phil Wharton, Meb, and my coach. Honestly, since doing it 3-4x a week (before after runs, etc off days), for the first time in forever I really have no long term muscle tightness anywhere. Doing it after a run is also key to help relax the muscles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LTZamXGp_A

And I've become faster again as a result of attaining full range of motion.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:31 am

Tight hamstrings can also come from the hamstrings overworking to compensate for weak and lazy glutes. I just read an interesting article in RW about how so many runners don't develop their glutes properly and end up compensating with hamstrings and other muscles, causing injuries elsewhere.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Return to “General Running Discussion”