FlipBelt: review

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:09 pm

I purchased one of these at a race fair in the spring and I really like it:

http://flipbelt.com/

It's a tubular waistband thing that holds anything from your phone, small wallet or credit cards, keys, etc. while you are running or at the gym. As I said, I bought it at a race expo, but some specialty running shops carry it as well-- it's about $30. It's similar to a SpiBelt (which I also have), but unique in that it has no zippers. You slide things into the tube through slit openings, and things stay in place just with the elastic pressure. I do put small items in plastic bags (as well as my phone to keep it dry), and there is a small hook for keys (but I don't use that). Supposedly you can clip on a water bottle holder, too. Best of all, the design is such that it stays in place without bouncing or riding up. It comes in three different sizes.

I really like it and I'm tempted to buy another one-- mine is black and I'd like a different colour for variety. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Re: FlipBelt: review

Postby Avis » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:56 pm

Thanks for posting this. I looked at the website, and there are actually 5 sizes, and lots of fun colors. I'm interested, as I never have enough, or large enough, pockets when I run (except in the winter when I wear a jacket). This FlipBelt might just be on my Christmas wish list!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:53 am

It looks really neat! How did you find it compared to the SPI in terms of comfort/staying in place etc. I don't usually run with my phone, but I use the SPI when I'm going out and the kids are with someone other than DH and I might need to be reached.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:33 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:It looks really neat! How did you find it compared to the SPI in terms of comfort/staying in place etc. I don't usually run with my phone, but I use the SPI when I'm going out and the kids are with someone other than DH and I might need to be reached.

I find it more comfortable than the Spibelt-- doesn't bounce at all and stays in position on my hips. This may not be as much of an issue if you're not running, but t's also a lot easier to get stuff in and out of- if I have to open the SpiBelt on a run to get my phone, I'm always afraid everything else will fall out.

I never ran with my phone until the kids were old enough to stay home alone for short periods of time. Then I just got used to it, and now I use it for music and podcasts (and occasionally for mapping). YMMV :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:14 pm

Jwolf wrote:
scrumhalfgirl wrote:It looks really neat! How did you find it compared to the SPI in terms of comfort/staying in place etc. I don't usually run with my phone, but I use the SPI when I'm going out and the kids are with someone other than DH and I might need to be reached.

I find it more comfortable than the Spibelt-- doesn't bounce at all and stays in position on my hips. This may not be as much of an issue if you're not running, but t's also a lot easier to get stuff in and out of- if I have to open the SpiBelt on a run to get my phone, I'm always afraid everything else will fall out.

I never ran with my phone until the kids were old enough to stay home alone for short periods of time. Then I just got used to it, and now I use it for music and podcasts (and occasionally for mapping). YMMV :)

thanks!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:34 pm

So it fits an iPhone with case?
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:27 pm

trixiee wrote:So it fits an iPhone with case?

It would probably fit the case but it's easier to slide it in without the case. I put it in a plastic bag if I'm worried about rain or sweat.

AdventureMan

Postby AdventureMan » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:12 pm

This sounds like what I have been looking for! Definitely going to check this out. Thanks!

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:04 am

I like the Spibelt because I can use it both to carry my **** and to hold my number in duathlon / triathlon.

It looks like the flipbelt wouldn't be a very good number holder. Is that right?
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:15 pm

turd ferguson wrote:I like the Spibelt because I can use it both to carry my **** and to hold my number in duathlon / triathlon.

It looks like the flipbelt wouldn't be a very good number holder. Is that right?

No- you're right- it wouldn't be great. The spibelt is much easier because you can just clip it on in transition. To put on the Flipbelt you have pull over your head or step into it like shorts. But I wouldn't use it in a tri because I don't carry keys or my phone. For a longer triathlon I might put it on in the bike-to-run transition to carry gels.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:46 pm

Jwolf wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:I like the Spibelt because I can use it both to carry my **** and to hold my number in duathlon / triathlon.

No- you're right- it wouldn't be great. The spibelt is much easier because you can just clip it on in transition. To put on the Flipbelt you have pull over your head or step into it like shorts. But I wouldn't use it in a tri because I don't carry keys or my phone. For a longer triathlon I might put it on in the bike-to-run transition to carry gels.

I don't use the Spibelt (or flipbelt) at all to carry stuff in triathlon, that's what the jersey pockets are for. I was just wondering if it was a good race number holder. Sounds like no.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:34 pm

I bought a purple one when I was in Regina. I used it today for the first time. I had my phone, plus it was hot out, so I took a small flask of water. It was hard to get in and out, I had to stop, but it did the trick. If it's supposed to stay on your hips, it was a fail for me, ended up at my waist, but it didn't bounce around. I think it will be fine for regular runs, but not for racing or long runs. I'll stuff my bra with gels for races and for long runs take my hydration backpack.
I had purchased a medium, but I think I should have got a small. :?
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri May 22, 2015 1:38 pm

I picked one of these up at the Ottawa expo today - total impulse buy. I was trying it on over jeans and a belt, so hopefully the XS is the right choice. My ipod from 2008 is dying a slow death, and since I have a new phone, I'm thinking I'll be running with that more frequently instead of getting a new one. We'll see how I like it!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri May 22, 2015 2:04 pm

I love mine still! I use it on almost every run when I don't carry water. I also occasionally use my spibelt but only when the flipbelt is in the wash :)

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri May 22, 2015 3:59 pm

I love mine too. I bought a size bigger than I should have, but I still use it
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri May 22, 2015 4:39 pm

I just bought one myself, this afternoon ..

After reading and watching some reviews, Scrummy, I you plan to carry your iphine, ipod or whatever, be sure to have them in a protective case or bag, as the fabric may tend to soak in moisture .. perhaps, they changed the water moisture issues since the reviews, but just be aware ..

plan to wear mine in the half this weekend .. ;)
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri May 22, 2015 4:47 pm

I put mine in a plastic bag only if it's raining out. Otherwise it would be pretty tough to slide it in and out of the belt, which is why I like it while running. I supposed if you sweat profusely it could be an issue, but I've never had a problem (and I sweat a lot, but not usually on my waistband).

I don't usually use it for longer runs, when I often prefer to use my angled water belt (and my phone goes on a clip on that). But I did use the flipbelt for my half-marathon on Sunday and it was great.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri May 22, 2015 5:45 pm

Jwolf wrote:I put mine in a plastic bag only if it's raining out. Otherwise it would be pretty tough to slide it in and out of the belt, which is why I like it while running. I supposed if you sweat profusely it could be an issue, but I've never had a problem (and I sweat a lot, but not usually on my waistband).

I don't usually use it for longer runs, when I often prefer to use my angled water belt (and my phone goes on a clip on that). But I did use the flipbelt for my half-marathon on Sunday and it was great.

And, now with your vivosmart ... you can see who is calling and/or sending you an email without having to pull out your iphone ... :)

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri May 22, 2015 7:49 pm

Jwolf wrote:I put mine in a plastic bag only if it's raining out. Otherwise it would be pretty tough to slide it in and out of the belt, which is why I like it while running. I supposed if you sweat profusely it could be an issue, but I've never had a problem (and I sweat a lot, but not usually on my waistband).

my phone is already in a case - would that be protective enough against regular sweating?
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri May 22, 2015 7:57 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:

my phone is already in a case - would that be protective enough against regular sweating?

I believe so ...

If you go to the flipbelt website, the youtube reviews suggested that a case would be sufficient ..

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri May 22, 2015 9:11 pm

Lol the vivosmart isn't great to look at while running, at least in the sun. But it does allow me to control my music from my wrist. :)

Jesse- like I said mine is never in a bag unless it's raining . My case wouldn't help and it's a wallet case so it doesn't fit anyway- so the ziplock bag comes out in the rain. I also use a ziplock to hold money and a card because I'm too afraid those will slip out- the ziplock provides a bit more friction.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri May 22, 2015 9:56 pm

I killed my blackberry pearl during a winter run a few years back due to moisture ... :(

Though, would be nice in Goofyland next January to carrybmy camera for photo ops ... :)

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed May 27, 2015 11:31 am

Wore my new flipbelt during the Ottawa Half Marathon on the weekend and loved it .. did not really feel any bounce what-so-ever .. had my keys, and gels, etc nicely place all around the belt ... accessing the gels was pretty smooth and wasn't bulking like the way when trying to stash 3-5 gels in a spi-belt or alike .. so far, so good .. would also continue to wear it for my long runs now and see how that works ??

It currently has one little dangling cord for keys, etc .. but, if they could add a second one .. it could then be possibly to use it as a race bib holder, as well ?? So, yeah, that would be an awesome add-on, imo .. :shifty: :P

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:30 am

Finally got around to wearing mine for the first time today - it was great! I had my phone in its case and it was tricky to get in and out (both size and the rubber grip of the case) but it worked. Really like the key loop so I don't stress about losing those (I hate having keys in a pocket with something else, because I worry about them falling out when I take something else out). If I run to work without a backpack, I'll need both my personal phone and my work blackberry, and this should hold them both easily.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Return to “Gearing Up”