late training injury

The grisly details and tales of the road back

mcguirb

late training injury

Postby mcguirb » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:04 pm

Hi John

I have a small question. I'm in week 13 of a 16 week marathon training schedule ending on October 19th with the Scotia Bank Toronto marathon. This is my 4th marathon but I tend to run between 4.5 and 5.5 hours-which is fine with me. I've hit all my milestones in my programme-20.23.25.27.30 kms without much difficulty and without injury! ( first time without one). Well.. I was out doing my last long run before a well deserved taper ( 32kms) and all was going well. I changed the first 3kms of my route to go mostly uphill but not crazy uphill, and at 16 kms I experienced shooting pain to what I believe is my solius muscle. That killed the run. I am taking rest,ice etc-plus I am going to consult with my chiropractor ( he does physio) my message therapist and my sports doctor tomorrow. None of them run however. Any advise about how to complete the training? I was 16 kms away from a lovely 2 week taper and a gentle slide into the marathon. Now I'm a bit freaked that I didn't get my last 30+ run in. Should I try to squeeze it in ( assuming I can run-but I don't think its an extremely debilitating injury and I've run with pain before) or should I just give up on the missing 16 and stay with the rest of the programme.

any advise regarding late training injuries and how to incorporate them into the run would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Re: late training injury

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:10 pm

my two cents....don't "squeeze in" the 30km run.

btw...you said..."Hi John"....who are you writing to in this message...just curious :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:00 pm

Agree...the run is gone. Get yourself healed and enjoy the taper. If you go out and try a 32K run now, you're likely to re-injure yourself and still not be fully tapered for race day. You should still have an easy 21K run next w/e in your schedule with 2 weeks to go to race day on the 19th.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:30 pm

Nick wrote:Agree...the run is gone. Get yourself healed and enjoy the taper. If you go out and try a 32K run now, you're likely to re-injure yourself and still not be fully tapered for race day. You should still have an easy 21K run next w/e in your schedule with 2 weeks to go to race day on the 19th.

This!

At this stage of the game, there really is no benefit to trying to recoup the miss mileage and any attempts would have far greater risk of relapse to your injury than any benefit you are hoping to gain. Stick to the plan you have and have faith in the training you have completed. For the most part, the hay is in the barn now. Stick to your taper plan and therefore be well rested and hopefully healed for your race in three weeks time.

BTW, welcome to RM.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

mcguirb

Postby mcguirb » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:34 am

Thanks everyone for the advise!

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”