IronColl ROCKS Vancouver

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
IronColl
Lynn Williams

IronColl ROCKS Vancouver

Postby IronColl » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:41 am

For those that have been following my journal, you know the result of the race. Here is the report.

I have wanted to be in the sub 2 hour club for years but have always fallen short by a few minutes. My PB of 2:03 was set in 2007 and I had a close 2:04 in 2012. So basically is was long overdue. I wasn't planning on racing again after my attempt fell short in Red Deer, but a friend of mine suggested I come with her and her friends, and then following Sara's training for her race got me excited about trying again. So booked a flight with airmiles and planned the race. Doing a Rock and Roll race was on my bucket list so I was really looking forward to it.

It was pouring Saturday evening but the forecast for Sunday was looking clear. I warned my friend that I was travelling with that I get serious before I race that I train hard for, basically the opposite of the Melissa's weekend. I don't think she was fully prepared.

We went to the expo Saturday and got out race numbers and swag. The expo was rocking. There was a DJ and the music was loud. I was getting excited and not feeling nervous because I was distracted. As soon as we left the nerves set in. We went for lunch and I actually had a beer with it, to try and calm down. Wasn't working. We went back to the house I was staying at and I put my feet up and just tried to calm the ---- down. All I could think about was the weather and how my last race sucked and the weather was a big chunk of that. Habs, QC and Jen can attest to my pre race freak out. I can't control the weather so I tried to let go. I tried to go to bed early and couldn't sleep so I got up, crushed some candies and played the same 3 songs over and over until I felt relaxed enough to go to sleep. It was midnight and still raining. However, when I woke up at 430 the rain had stopped and skies were clear. Woohoo! I managed to get a bit of rest until 6 am.

I choked down a banana and half a bagel and we grabbed a coffee and headed to the start line. Friends of my friend had a hotel room right near the start line and we hung out there for a bit. It was nice to have a warm place to hang out but then my nerves took over and I left, leaving behind my finishers shirt. I dropped my gear off and realized I wanted my shirt but didn't have it so I was stuck in my tank. We all high 5ed and wished each other a good race and found our corralls and waited it out.

The DJ was going strong and I was getting excited. I saw the 2h pace bunny ahead of me so my first order of business was to get ahead and get him behind of me. I didn't realize at the time that I was in the wrong corral but it was fine. The only problem was the song that was playing was a Justin Bieber one and if I had left with the right one I wouldn't have heard it.

The gun goes off and I remember my plan: stick to a 5:30 pace for as long as possible. I started a bit fast but mamaged to not get caught up in the rush and found my pace. I was looking forward to the bands on the course and also wondering why so many people were running with music. Did they not get what kind of race this was? Anyway I get ahead of that bunny before their first 10 min walk and I just kept going. My plan was to have water at every station and after spilling the cup at the first station I walked them. I took my gels at the planned intervals. My calves started cramping early on but I had advil and electrolyte tablets and that helped. I also imagined that I was stretching them and massaging them and that helped.

I loved the music on the course and the scenery. It did feel weird to me to not know where I was. I have done 3 different races in Vancouver and although some parts are similar they have never been identical courses. We ran along the water and I loved staring at the ocean. The km just kept clicking by. Jen and Rob were there at 13km. We had a high 5 and that's when things started to get a bit tough. The race so far was slightly uncomfortable but still manageable. Right after seeing her was the longest "hill" of the race and that's where I started to really dig deep. I remembered all the training I did to prepare and that it was going well. My body was cooperating and my mental was strong. I was also starting to do the math. I had 6km to run and 40 min to do it to make it under 2 hours. We ran by the finish line and I cold hear the crowd and was looking forward to it. The km were still ticking by and I was digging. 28 min to run 4 km. Then it was how bad/badly do I want to get to 1:55? Pretty ---ing badly. Dig deep. I am an Ironman I can do this. I suffered through mile repeats on a 235m track with an incline. I did every single long run. I am not slowing down. I am strong. I can do this. ---- yeaah!

So how did it go? You tell me. These are the splits from my Garmin:

5km 27:08
10km 27:09 54:17
15km 27:07 1:21:24
20km 27:15 1:48:39
finish 1:56:14 official time

No, the wheels didn't come off that last 1.1km. Standard Garmin error.

I did it. I am in the sub 2 club. I smashed my PB by 6 minutes.

And funny thing about the pacing. I had my current pace and my average pace on my screen and any time I was slower than whatever my current average was I would go a bit faster. I knew I had run an evenly paced race but I didn't know that it was that even.

I still am amazed that I pulled it off.

Pictures: http://www.marathonfoto.com/Half-Marath ... REcan%20(2)
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:59 am

Wow! Congratulations again! You did it-- I knew you had it in you!

That's some awesome pacing. It's great when those perfect races just come together. I always say you often know when a good race is happening right from the beginning -- you find that pace early on and your body just takes it. It's a great feeling.

You done good-- now enjoy the recovery. :) It was great to spend time with you over the weekend.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re: IronColl ROCKS Vancouver

Postby HCcD » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:10 pm

You put the "ness" in Awesomeness, IronColl ... Congratulations, again ... :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:46 pm

Congratulations, that's a HUGE PB. Well done.

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:14 pm

Well done, that was an outstanding result with a HUGE pb. Congrats!

Considering how well your training went and how well you finished at Melissa's, it was no surprise that your ROCK'd it in YVR!

I'm equally impressed at your consistent pacing and race management, outstanding!
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:18 pm

i'm impressed but not amazed - I knew you could do it! congratulations!!!!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:04 pm

Wow, you are the pacing queen! Well done, cinnamon bun!

I only ever get nervous before races when I've got a really audacious (self-imposed) goal. :lol:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:12 pm

Nice! Congrats on the PB and being sub-2!!!!! :D

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:51 pm

It has been a great summer/fall of training "with" you. I am so proud of you! You put in the strong effort every.single.time. Fabulous pacing.
Welcome to the sub-2 club. :dance:
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:15 pm

Welcome to the club!! :D
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:47 pm

That is one strong race! Not just the finish time (which is spectacular), but the pacing and mental fortitude.

Excellent! Congratulations.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:14 pm

Super PB and excellent race report!! Congratulations!! :)

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:38 pm

Monster PB!!!!!!!!!
I am so very happy for you! :D :D :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:51 pm

Congratulations! I am so proud of you!!!! You are amazing! Xooxox
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:44 pm

I enjoyed your journal and am glad it worked out.

The way I got a 3:51 marathon was to do what you did. If I looked at the garmin and if the instant pace was above a certin number, I sped up.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:46 pm

Spirit wrote:The way I got a 3:51 marathon was to do what you did. If I looked at the garmin and if the instant pace was above a certin number, I sped up.

I finally learned what the alerts were on my TomTom when I'm in race mode: #1 means I'm ahead of the last time I ran that race distance, and #2 means I'm behind. That's an interesting feature (now that I know what those alerts mean :lol:).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:52 pm

You are awesome!
The Summer of Eng is over.

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:16 pm

Congratulations on a great race and fantastic accomplishment!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:49 pm

Excellent pacing and congrats on smashing your sub 2 goal! You looked strong and happy as you passed by. It was nice meeting and cheering you and others on.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:06 am

La wrote:Wow, you are the pacing queen! Well done, cinnamon bun!

I only ever get nervous before races when I've got a really audacious (self-imposed) goal. :lol:

The result is great but the pacing really blows me away. The goal seemed very audacious to me. McMillan predicted a 1:58 based on Melissa's so I wanted to beat that.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:33 am

No nice comments from me! You freakin' rock!

Congratulations!

... And I mean it! :wink:
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:22 pm

Hey I'm so impressed and proud of you! WTG!!!! :) :) :)
Just call me the thread killa

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:14 pm

Way to know your previous PB out of the park!! You are awesome :)
Jocelyn

I run because it's my passion, and not just a sport. Every time I walk out the door, I know why I'm going where I'm going and I'm already focused on that special place where I find my peace and solitude. Running, to me, is more than just a physical exercise...it's a consistent reward for victory!
- Sasha Azevedo

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:08 pm

I've said it before but I'll say it again- I'm so so proud of you!! You worked your butt off and raced really smartly. I'm also not surprised and now that this chunk has come off I bet you'll get several more pb's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Return to “Run/Race Reports”