old garmin data....

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

old garmin data....

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:43 pm

I've tried googling this, with no luck. :/

I am trying to restore old run data from a garmin backup (I have it in logbook format, which I think is XML).

I can't import it into training centre. It doesn't give an error, just does nothing.

I can't import it to garmin connect.

I had it all uploaded on runningfreeonline but now it has deleted all of the maps, elevation, etc, and only has the time and distance for old runs. :/

So basically, I can't look back at any of my old runs and I have no idea why.

Any suggestions?
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: old garmin data....

Postby Jwolf » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:23 pm

Was it exported as .csv so you have it in a spreadsheet now? Or you can at least save it out as .csv?

Garmin connect will only accept .gpx or .tcx, but this looks like a way to convert it:

http://garmin-gpx-converter.software.informer.com

But it's possible that the metadata is lost so that that data fields won't line up.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:26 pm

I can't export to csv because I can't access it anywhere. :/

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:32 pm

Sorry - I wasn't sure what you meant by "logbook format" - I thought you had it somewhere.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:34 pm

the file is an xml file with the extension .logbook

This is how training centre exported it when I was backing it up. :/ but now it won't import it again, and I don't know what to do with it.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:55 pm

oh I think I got it....!

I found another backup file in tcd format, and that seems to have worked. Going to double check the data integrity...

I need to find a third way to back these up so I don't ever lose them!

eta: this one only goes back to Sept 2010... not sure why, since that's still missing several years. But it's better than nothing. Maybe the logbook ones are older...

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:00 pm

Oh good!

Did you mean .tcx? How did you do it?

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:07 pm

no it's tcd

I had it on my hard drive, must have been from one of my backups.

I don't know why some are .logbook and some are .tcd, but over the years I've ended up with both. I think the .logbook might be the older one... which means if I can figure out how to convert it I can get my data from before 2010.... :think:

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:21 pm

further investigation reveals that the .logbook is indeed pre-training centre. I had forgotten that there was a different program before that, and sure enough, this file contains my data from 2005 to 2010, which must be when I switched to training centre.

Now to figure out how to convert that XML to a gpx.

scottch
Percy Williams

Postby scottch » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:53 pm

ultraslacker wrote:further investigation reveals that the .logbook is indeed pre-training centre. I had forgotten that there was a different program before that, and sure enough, this file contains my data from 2005 to 2010, which must be when I switched to training centre.

A .logbook file makes me think of SportTracks from ZoneFive (http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sporttracks/)

The current version of Sporttracks is version 3. This has the file extension of .logbook3. The previous version 2 used just a .logbook file extension. Not sure if this is the program you were using pre-training center. The Sporttracks file is an xml file format. You might be able to find the older version of Sporttracks on the web, or just install the newest version. I think it should convert the file for you to a logbook3 format. Once it is opened, you can select all the workouts and export them to gpx.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:56 pm

scottch wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:further investigation reveals that the .logbook is indeed pre-training centre. I had forgotten that there was a different program before that, and sure enough, this file contains my data from 2005 to 2010, which must be when I switched to training centre.

A .logbook file makes me think of SportTracks from ZoneFive (http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sporttracks/)

The current version of Sporttracks is version 3. This has the file extension of .logbook3. The previous version 2 used just a .logbook file extension. Not sure if this is the program you were using pre-training center. The Sporttracks file is an xml file format. You might be able to find the older version of Sporttracks on the web, or just install the newest version. I think it should convert the file for you to a logbook3 format. Once it is opened, you can select all the workouts and export them to gpx.

thanks for the suggestion. I did use sporttracks at one point so maybe that's why I have that...?

I just finished downloading a program that is supposed to simply convert the xml to gpx... I'll try that first and if it doesn't work I'll try sporttracks.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:14 pm

it converted to gpx but training center won't open it. :roll:

I wish they would support their own backup formats, even if they are outdated....

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:15 pm

I think I found the same one- gpsies? But it looks like that one only converts individual files, not a whole log. Let us know if it works.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:51 pm

it was called gpsbabel but it didn't work.

I'm getting closer--sort of. Sporttracks was able to open the old logbook one, so I have 2006-2010 on sporttracks (but export to gpx didn't work), and 2010-2014 on training centre (but now training centre won't open at all...).

If I could get them both into one place that would be awesome. :P

Also, it looks like I'm missing several months from 2010. Not sure what happened there.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:28 pm

alright, so here was the whole process:

install training center
import tcd file (2010-2014) into training center

install sporttracks
import logbook file (2005-2010) into sporttracks

reinstall training centre because it died
export each week from training centre into tcx files (yes, one week at a time...)
import all the tcx files into sporttracks

with all the false starts and various attempts at conversion, that took up my whole evening. :P I'm leaving this here in case in the future someone else googles the same problem and wants a solution!

now to fill in the gaps I just need to export the past few months from runkeeper (because I stopped using my garmin for awhile) and put THAT in sporttracks.

I'm not a huge fan of sporttracks but at least now I can have it all in one place again! :)

scottch
Percy Williams

Postby scottch » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:11 am

There is a plugin that you can download for Sportstrack that exports to .tcx format. Allows you to possibly get it to another program.
http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sporttracks/plugins/?p=tcx-export

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:34 am

thanks, I'll check it out.

Even though I'm using sporttracks to compile it all and back it up, I'm on the trial version so I'm not sure I'll keep it... need to figure out a long-term solution.

VDoT
Bruce Kidd

Postby VDoT » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:20 pm

Can you migrate all your workouts to Garmin Connect? If so, you can then use https://tapiriik.com/# to automatically backup each workout TCX file to a DropBox account.

Or you could connect SportTracks to SportsTracks mobi (http://sporttracks.mobi/) and then also use Tapiriik to sync to DropBox.

I have Garmin Express upload all my workouts to Garmin Connect, and then sync to DropBox. I use a paid version of SportTracks as my day to day tracking software and I backup those logbook files to my NAS drive, plus I also backup my original .fit files as well.

You can never have too many backups! :)
Dan

Coming up in 2015:

scottch
Percy Williams

Postby scottch » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:21 am

ultraslacker wrote:thanks, I'll check it out.

Even though I'm using sporttracks to compile it all and back it up, I'm on the trial version so I'm not sure I'll keep it... need to figure out a long-term solution.

The trial version is the free version. At the end of the trial it limits the amount of plugins you can run, plus a couple of other features.

I also run the full version of Sporttracks so if you have any questions on how something works, fire away.

MTA:
ultraslacker wrote:Sporttracks was able to open the old logbook one, so I have 2006-2010 on sporttracks (but export to gpx didn't work)

Sorry, missed this earlier. The gpx export doesn't work in all the view options. I think you have to do it from the weekly activity screen and export it a week at a time. Much like the Training Center one. I can check when I get home from work and see.

Return to “Training ”