Virtual Workout--THURSDAYS....

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

alexk
Bill Crothers

Re: Virtual Workout--THURSDAYS....

Postby alexk » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:00 pm

Over 50cm of snow fell on my little island over night & we all got to stop, take a breath & enjoy winter for a day!

So ... I had a chance to get this run done earlier than planned. The gift of a sleep-in gave me some extra energy so I added a 3rd interval for a total of 9 miles w/ wu & cd. While I've done 2 mile intervals before, I've never played w/ the pace in this way. I really liked it & felt strong enough in the 3rd to push a bit extra.

Afterwards, I put on my snow gear & walked downtown w/ my husband - lots of snow covered roads still & most of the city is closed (even Starbucks where I was hoping to get a chai latte). If only every winter day could be as quiet, pretty & peaceful :).
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:59 pm

I ended up doing the virtual workout today also. I had a few hours this afternoon to squeeze it in.
I did warm up/cool down, 2 miles (one slower, one faster), then 3 miles (slower, faster, slower). Slower not really being slow! :lol:

The time flew by!!
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:15 pm

great job guys! i did my tempo from my training plan on monday, so i'll likely give this one a pass this week.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:55 pm

I haven't tried to do these workouts. But yall have inspired me to tweak the tm speeds up a little.

Is this a "never ending virtual workout thread" (VW NET) ?
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:11 pm

Spirit wrote:I haven't tried to do these workouts. But yall have inspired me to tweak the tm speeds up a little.

Good job!
As long as people want to keep posting and doing the workouts, then I guess it is.

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:38 am

Habs4ever wrote:
Spirit wrote:I haven't tried to do these workouts. But yall have inspired me to tweak the tm speeds up a little.

Good job!
As long as people want to keep posting and doing the workouts, then I guess it is.

It's helpful to get out of a rut of always setting the TM to a certain speed and not varying that from run to run.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:14 pm

Habs4ever wrote:

Good job!

I hope this keeps going. It's a great motivator to get in speedwork I probably wouldn't do by myself.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:13 pm

MikeM wrote:
Habs4ever wrote:

Good job!

I hope this keeps going. It's a great motivator to get in speedwork I probably wouldn't do by myself.

I agree Mike. I know they are helping me for sure. i would have never attempted what I did yesterday if I was doing it on my own.

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:34 pm

Just got it done. I did 3km intervals instead of 2mi since the treadmills at work are in metric.

1km w/u @ 6:00

2 x 3km (1.5 @ 4:57 (12.1km/h), 1.5 @ 4:41(12.8km/h))
.5km recovery @ 6:00 in between

1km c/d @ 6:00

In retrospect, I might have been able to go a little bit faster. I was working fairly hard at the end of the second interval but was still running relaxed. I probably could have managed at 4:50 and 4:30.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:18 pm

Nicely done mike!

I'm actually not going to do this one this week since it doesn't fit into my half-marathon taper plan. But I will work in a little bit of mixing up the paces in a similar way in my long run tomorrow. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:29 am

This week's workout:

warm up of choice

6 x (4 min @ 5k pace + 1 min recovery)

cool down of choice
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:41 pm

With my long run being done Wednesdays, I will need to do these workouts on Mondays or Fridays.

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:51 am

Done! I debated whether I should be doing this or hills at this point in my training, but I decided to give this a go.

10min/1m warmup @6mph
6X4 min @ 8mph (no idea if this is my 5K pace, but sounded good!)
1 min recover @5.5mph
2K@ 6.2mph

Total 10K in 54:30.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:21 pm

Good job Lisa!

I just finished as well:

6 min w/u
6 x 4min @ 4:28, 1 min recovery @ approx 6:00-6:10

I finished with a bit of a sprint for the last 45 seconds @ 4:15.

Total was 7.2km in 35 minutes.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:52 am

I did the switchblade on tues and it went well. I did a mile warmup and 2x2 miles because that's all I had time for, and because I shortened it from Fleshman's version (3x2miles) I tried to be a bit more aggressive with the pace, targeting 15k pace (4:30-4:35, or 7:20 miles) as the mid point instead of half marathon pace (7:30ish miles). That was maybe a bit too aggressive, but it was close- half marathon pace wouldn't have been quite hard enough. I ended up doing 7:30, 7:08, then I had to slow to 7:40 and 7:18 (though I picked it up to 7:03 by the end of the last mile).

Today I did her workout for this week, the Kenyan progression run. It's 5 miles, starting at 2 min or so per mile slower than 10k pace. Each mile is faster by about 30 seconds. It feels really easy at first, but by the end it's really hard! I started at 8:49 for mile 1, then 8:18 for mile 2, 7:53 and 7:47 half and half for mile 3, then 7:18 for mile 4, then 6:53 and 6:47 half and half for mile 5. I'd highly recommend this one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:04 am

QuickChick wrote:I did the switchblade on tues and it went well. I did a mile warmup and 2x2 miles because that's all I had time for, and because I shortened it from Fleshman's version (3x2miles) I tried to be a bit more aggressive with the pace, targeting 15k pace (4:30-4:35, or 7:20 miles) as the mid point instead of half marathon pace (7:30ish miles). That was maybe a bit too aggressive, but it was close- half marathon pace wouldn't have been quite hard enough. I ended up doing 7:30, 7:08, then I had to slow to 7:40 and 7:18 (though I picked it up to 7:03 by the end of the last mile).

Today I did her workout for this week, the Kenyan progression run. It's 5 miles, starting at 2 min or so per mile slower than 10k pace. Each mile is faster by about 30 seconds. It feels really easy at first, but by the end it's really hard! I started at 8:49 for mile 1, then 8:18 for mile 2, 7:53 and 7:47 half and half for mile 3, then 7:18 for mile 4, then 6:53 and 6:47 half and half for mile 5. I'd highly recommend this one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ohhh, I like!

Can I vote for this one to be next week's virtual workout? I'd just have to figure out my TM settings for each mile
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:11 pm

Yeah I took my 10k pb pace (6:51) and used that as the starting point- 2 min slower than that at the beginning, and about that pace at the end. I am not at that level of fitness now to run that 10k pace in a race (maybe by spring?), so I'd just say pick a challenging enough pace as your starting point. If I had picked, say, 7:15 pace, which I could reasonably say I'd do 10k in now, it would've been too easy. So if you don't have a 10k pace that is really reflective of the very best you can do, maybe look at your other results and extrapolate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:27 pm

QuickChick wrote:Yeah I took my 10k pb pace (6:51) and used that as the starting point- 2 min slower than that at the beginning, and about that pace at the end. I am not at that level of fitness now to run that 10k pace in a race (maybe by spring?), so I'd just say pick a challenging enough pace as your starting point. If I had picked, say, 7:15 pace, which I could reasonably say I'd do 10k in now, it would've been too easy. So if you don't have a 10k pace that is really reflective of the very best you can do, maybe look at your other results and extrapolate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This looks like exactly what my legs are asking for today! I want to do a quality run but I'm a bit tired and don't feel 24 minutes @ 5k pace would work for me ... thanks for posting this, QC. I'll let y'all know how it goes.
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:43 pm

Got it done - I really enjoyed it! The progression in pace was a perfect way to ease my tired (and one-year-older today, funny enough) body into some quality work. It was exactly what I needed. I ended up running it out to 10k w/ the last 1.2 @ MP.

And I just poured myself a big glass of wine. This is a Friday I was happy to see!!!

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:05 pm

IronColl wrote:This week's workout:

warm up of choice

6 x (4 min @ 5k pace + 1 min recovery)

cool down of choice

Done yesterday.
Thanks for the workout, I enjoyed it.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:35 pm

QuickChick wrote:Today I did her workout for this week, the Kenyan progression run. It's 5 miles, starting at 2 min or so per mile slower than 10k pace. Each mile is faster by about 30 seconds. It feels really easy at first, but by the end it's really hard! I started at 8:49 for mile 1, then 8:18 for mile 2, 7:53 and 7:47 half and half for mile 3, then 7:18 for mile 4, then 6:53 and 6:47 half and half for mile 5. I'd highly recommend this one.

OK, let's do this one for this week. (Lisa P voted for this one). If you need to shorten it, adjust your starting pace accordingly so your last mile is 30s faster than 10k pace.
Last edited by Habs4ever on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:51 pm

That does look like a good workout QC posted. I won't do it this week but in a couple of weeks or so.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:19 pm

RobW wrote:That does look like a good workout QC posted. I won't do it this week but in a couple of weeks or so.

Me too!
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:23 pm

I came across this article today:

http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/ho ... -intervals

Since we've talked before about when walking or jogging is appropriate for recovery between intervals, I thought it might be of interest to some people.

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:09 pm

I did QC's progressive tempo today!

The last mile or 2 of it really is tough!

1 mile 6.0mph
1 miles 6.4mph
1 mile 6.8mph
1 mile 7.2mph
1 mile 7.6mph
1 mile 8.0 mph - but bumped it up to 8.2 toward the end to get it over with! :lol: :lol:
jogging, walking cool down.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Return to “Training ”