Toronto Yonge Street 10K or Sporting Life 10K

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Vic
Percy Williams

Toronto Yonge Street 10K or Sporting Life 10K

Postby Vic » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:03 am

Hi to all,
I would like to register for one of the races but not sure which one? The course seems to be the same. Any comments ? Pros/Cons?
Your feedback is much appreciated.
Running is cheaper than therapy...
------Running gives me hope.............

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Toronto Young Street 10K or Sporting Life 10K

Postby La » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:09 am

Course is the same. Only difference is the race organizer (and associated charities) and the date. Most of that will be personal preference. There are no absolutes in terms of which is better.

BTW, it's Yonge, not Young. ;)
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Vic
Percy Williams

Postby Vic » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:31 am

La wrote:Course is the same. Only difference is the race organizer (and associated charities) and the date. Most of that will be personal preference. There are no absolutes in terms of which is better.

Thank you! Excuse the spelling ... I was typing this before I had my morning coffee :wink:

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:33 pm

I am doing the Yonge St one just because of the timing- I plan to run a half on May 3. Otherwise I normally choose sporting life because $20 goes to Camp Ooch for kids with cancer. Canada Running Series, who runs the TYS, does a stellar job. Sporting Life tends to have a few more slight hiccups, and they tend to affect people who are slower than about 55 minutes more than those who are faster (finish line tie ups, etc).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:41 am

:help: not this again :help:

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Vic
Percy Williams

Postby Vic » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:05 am

QuickChick wrote:I am doing the Yonge St one just because of the timing- I plan to run a half on May 3. Otherwise I normally choose sporting life because $20 goes to Camp Ooch for kids with cancer. Canada Running Series, who runs the TYS, does a stellar job. Sporting Life tends to have a few more slight hiccups, and they tend to affect people who are slower than about 55 minutes more than those who are faster (finish line tie ups, etc).

I am definitely very slow ...so thank you for the tip. This is helpful.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:12 am

Didn't they fix that finish line disaster...? New RD I thought.
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:25 pm

jonovision_man wrote:Didn't they fix that finish line disaster...? New RD I thought.

Yes, they did. And the former Event Director from CRS* helped the new RD to make it run smoothly.

*Full disclosure - she's a good friend of mine.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:03 pm

Oh, good! Glad to hear that.

"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:07 pm

QuickChick wrote:...normally choose sporting life because $20 goes to Camp Ooch for kids with cancer. Canada Running Series, who runs the TYS, does a stellar job. Sporting Life tends to have a few more slight hiccups, and they tend to affect people who are slower than about 55 minutes more than those who are faster (finish line tie ups, etc).

I agree 100% with everything here, well stated.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Toronto Young Street 10K or Sporting Life 10K

Postby QuickChick » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:49 pm

I signed up for the TYS 10k today! Pat may run it with me to pace me, depending on whether he can start with me (he'll run with the stroller). They do have a stroller entry category, but they specify that strollers start at the back. To me, it makes sense that it would be safer for him to start farther up rather than weave through everyone to catch up... I emailed the RD to ask if he can start with me, and if they say ok, then we'll do it as a family which would be awesome. If not, oh well, they will have to meet me at the end.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:04 pm

La wrote:Course is the same. Only difference is the race organizer (and associated charities) and the date. Most of that will be personal preference. There are no absolutes in terms of which is better.

:wink:
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:47 am

QuickChick wrote:I signed up for the TYS 10k today! They do have a stroller entry category, but they specify that strollers start at the back. To me, it makes sense that it would be safer for him to start farther up rather than weave through everyone to catch up... I emailed the RD to ask if he can start with me, and if they say ok, then we'll do it as a family which would be awesome. If not, oh well, they will have to meet me at the end.

Likely best to start at the back with the stroller. The safety issue is as much about the other runners as it is about the child in the stroller. Very easy to click or block other runners. Nice to be able to run as a family but it really is a hazard. Personally if they allow strollers and ask that they start at the back then they should enforce the rule. Likely best for everyone.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:13 pm

canalrunner wrote:
QuickChick wrote:I signed up for the TYS 10k today! They do have a stroller entry category, but they specify that strollers start at the back. To me, it makes sense that it would be safer for him to start farther up rather than weave through everyone to catch up... I emailed the RD to ask if he can start with me, and if they say ok, then we'll do it as a family which would be awesome. If not, oh well, they will have to meet me at the end.

Likely best to start at the back with the stroller. The safety issue is as much about the other runners as it is about the child in the stroller. Very easy to click or block other runners. Nice to be able to run as a family but it really is a hazard. Personally if they allow strollers and ask that they start at the back then they should enforce the rule. Likely best for everyone.

That assumes that the person running with the stroller will be running slower than the runners in the last wave, which isn't the case for all stroller-pushers. I think that's the point QC was making - it's far more likely that he's going to clip someone if he starts at the back. IMO, in a race this big, they probably shouldn't allow strollers at all, or not allow people to "race" with strollers above a certain pace.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Re: Toronto Yonge Street 10K or Sporting Life 10K

Postby jes » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:16 pm

One race has a super awesome photography company; one does not :wink:
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:12 am

La wrote:
canalrunner wrote:

That assumes that the person running with the stroller will be running slower than the runners in the last wave, which isn't the case for all stroller-pushers. I think that's the point QC was making - it's far more likely that he's going to clip someone if he starts at the back. IMO, in a race this big, they probably shouldn't allow strollers at all, or not allow people to "race" with strollers above a certain pace.

Clipping because you are faster. Blocking because you are not. Not sure in a large race, strollers is a good option. I agree that a prohibition is likely the best idea in these huge races. I remember doing the Ottawa 5k about 8 years ago with my daughter and hitting a wall of strollers about 2 k into the race. They had started way up the corrals, probably were running a 600 per k pace. The problem of people being the wrong corral is just enlarged with a stroller.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:34 am

canalrunner wrote:
La wrote:
canalrunner wrote:

Clipping because you are faster. Blocking because you are not. Not sure in a large race, strollers is a good option. I agree that a prohibition is likely the best idea in these huge races. I remember doing the Ottawa 5k about 8 years ago with my daughter and hitting a wall of strollers about 2 k into the race. They had started way up the corrals, probably were running a 600 per k pace. The problem of people being the wrong corral is just enlarged with a stroller.

I agree with you Mark.

There are always people running in the front corrals with strollers in the Vancouver Sun Run (where the rule also is that they are only allowed to start in the last wave with the walkers). At worst it can be dangerous to both the runners and the child, and at best very annoying to the other runners in a large race.

And yes, it can also be dangerous for a faster runner to start in the back and run quickly through the group with the stroller. So, they shouldn't do that either- common sense.

Strollers are encouraged if you just want to enter as a family in a fun-run sense, but not really to race.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:35 am

Jwolf wrote:I agree with you Mark.

There are always people running in the front corrals with strollers in the Vancouver Sun Run (where the rule also is that they are only allowed to start in the last wave with the walkers). At worst it can be dangerous to both the runners and the child, and at best very annoying to the other runners in a large race.

And yes, it can also be dangerous for a faster runner to start in the back and run quickly through the group with the stroller. So, they shouldn't do that either- common sense.

Strollers are encouraged if you just want to enter as a family in a fun-run sense, but not really to race.

I agree with you completely. This guy should have been tasered.

http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.co ... challenge/
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:01 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
Jwolf wrote:I agree with you Mark.

I agree with you completely. This guy should have been tasered.

http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.co ... challenge/

lol- Michal obviously had permission from the RD for that one (which is NOT as crowded as SL or the Sun Run, especially at Michal's pace).

I don't think you mean that that should give everyone with strollers a free ticket.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:00 am

Well it's not an issue anyway- the girl from CRS said he'd have to start at the back, so obviously Pat sprinting through the crowd with the stroller to catch up with me is not safe in any way. Once the race gets going, it's actually not too crowded at the front, and I honestly don't think it would've been much of a safety hazard for him to start with me as long as he was careful in the first km. I'll respect what the RD says, though. Pat will probably just zoom through the other downtown streets with him to try to beat us to the finish, lol.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:04 am

QuickChick wrote:Well it's not an issue anyway- the girl from CRS said he'd have to start at the back, so obviously Pat sprinting through the crowd with the stroller to catch up with me is not safe in any way. Once the race gets going, it's actually not too crowded at the front, and I honestly don't think it would've been much of a safety hazard for him to start with me as long as he was careful in the first km. I'll respect what the RD says, though. Pat will probably just zoom through the other downtown streets with him to try to beat us to the finish, lol.

It would have been a better race with Pat in it pushing the wee one. That's too bad.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:50 pm

Totally... I've always run way better with him pacing me. Oh well, I'll have to suck it up! Lol. I'm a bit tougher than I used to be. ;)

Return to “General Running Discussion”