PanAm Games - Spectators? Volunteers?

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:41 am

Anyone volunteering or have tickets for the games here in Toronto this summer?

I'm volunteering at the Women's & Men's Triathlon (Sat/Sun, July 11-12) at Ontario Place, as well as at the Women's & Men's Road Cycling (also at Ontario place) on Saturday, July 25.

I've been assigned to the ParaPanAm Road Cycling, but I don't have a date for that yet (which sucks, because I may have a conflict if it's the second weekend of the Games).

I also bought tickets for Track Cycling at the Milton Velodrome on Friday, July 17, and for Athletics at York on Thursday, July 23*

*On the schedule for that session is:
Women
-200 m Semifinal Races
-400 m Final Race
-10,000 m Final Race & Medal Ceremony
-Pole Vault Final & Medal Ceremony
Men
-200 m Semifinal Races
-400 m Final Race
-800 m Final Race & Medal Ceremony
-400 m Hurdles Final & Medal Ceremony
-Discus Final & Medal Ceremony
-Decathlon Javelin & 1,500 m Race
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: PanAm Games - Spectators? Volunteers?

Postby La » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:42 am

Other events of note are:

Women's marathon (Ontario Place): Saturday, July 18, 7AM
Men's marathon (Ontario Place): Saturday, July 25, 7AM

Women's 5,000m, Tuesday, July 21 (morning)
Men's 10,000m, Wednesday, July 22 (evening)
Men's 5,000m, Saturday, July 25 (evening)
Men's & Women's 4x100 and 4x400 relays, Saturday, July 25 (evening)

Full schedule is here: http://images.toronto2015.org/system/as ... -guide.pdf

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:43 am

Cool gig La!

I'm volunteering! I'm working at the Athletes Village though. I'm waiting for my schedule to see what events I can buy tickets for. I really hope to see some of the road races and triathalon.

I'm actually really excited about it all. My DH and sister are also volunteers. DH at PanAm park and my sister at Union Station.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:47 pm

We're going to the Sat evening track events! I'm very excited- those will be fun events to see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:47 pm

Marathon, Triathlon, and Road Cycling routes have been posted.
http://www.toronto2015.org/venue/ontari ... st-channel

Looks like a multi-loop marathon that goes from Ontario Place to High Park and back a few times. It doesn't say how many loops (3-4 by my estimate).

The Road Cycling course has them going up/down the hills in and around High Park a few times.

I'm also pretty sure (based on the published road closure information on the site), that the ParaPanAm road cycling event that I'm scheduled to volunteer at will be held the first weekend of the games (Aug 8 ), so it won't conflict with my cycling trip to Montreal.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:42 pm

I volunteered in 1999. On-call legal counsel, one of the lesser-known volunteer positions.

Carry on.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:18 am

turd ferguson wrote:I volunteered in 1999. On-call legal counsel, one of the lesser-known volunteer positions.

Carry on.

I too volunteered in '99. I was part of the Mascot group. I was both a spotter (human accompanying the mascot to help out and prevent abuse/tackling/etc), and I was also in the costume - Pato, the Pan-Am Duck.

On the right:

Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:22 am

Darth Tater wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:I volunteered in 1999. On-call legal counsel, one of the lesser-known volunteer positions.

Carry on.

I too volunteered in '99. I was part of the Mascot group. I was both a spotter (human accompanying the mascot to help out and prevent abuse/tackling/etc), and I was also in the costume - Pato, the Pan-Am Duck.

On the right:

So if hypothetically a giant duck got drunk and had to be retrieved from the Public Safety Building, we might have met long before RM?
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:36 am

turd ferguson wrote:
Darth Tater wrote:

Carry on.

On the right:

So if hypothetically a giant duck got drunk and had to be retrieved from the Public Safety Building, we might have met long before RM?

:lol:

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:35 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
Darth Tater wrote:

Carry on.

On the right:

That, or if someone reported a lewd act between the two mascots in the parking lot outside of one of the venues. I wish I still had a copy of that photo....
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:32 pm

Anyone watch the Mercer Report last night? He featured a para-athlete. Great skit.
The Summer of Eng is over.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:30 pm

Darth Tater wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:
Darth Tater wrote:

Carry on.

On the right:

That, or if someone reported a lewd act between the two mascots in the parking lot outside of one of the venues. I wish I still had a copy of that photo....

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:44 am

I recently got my volunteer schedule:

11-Jul-15 Field of Play Crew - Triathlon OPW Crew, Bike/Run Course Section 4: 6:00 AM-12:00 PM
12-Jul-15 Field of Play Crew - Triathlon OPW Crew, Bike/Run Course Section 4: 6:00 AM-12:00 PM
22-Jul-15 Field of Play Crew - Road Cycling MIV - Time Trial: 9:00 AM-3:00 PM
25-Jul-15 Field of Play Crew - Road Cycling OPW Road Race - Crew, Sector 4: 11:00 AM-9:30 PM
08-Aug-15 Field of Play Crew - Para Road Cycling OPW - Road race Crew, Sector 4, 6:30AM-2:30PM

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:32 am

I had my training session last night. The venue at OPW is quite something, considering it used to be just strips of concrete and grass along the Martin-Goodman trail, west of Ontario Place. It's now like a little village with all these super-sturdy tents, containers full of electronic equipment, etc. Very cool. My only complaint was with the lack of signage as to where to go and how to get to/from TTC since many of the usual roadways/routes are fenced off. I walked a ton yesterday due to having to back-track a lot.

My first events are this Saturday and Sunday - Women's and Men's triathlon (my shift starts at 6AM, races start at 8:30AM). I'm going to be a course marshal blowing my whistle and waving my yellow flag out on Lake Shore somewhere between the Legion and the Boulevard Club, I think. :)

Did you know that you can watch triathlon, road cycling, and the marathons free of charge if you are anywhere along Lake Shore west of Ontario Place or in/around High Park? You only need tickets for the grandstand at the start/finish area (and to watch the swimming).

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:44 am

All the doom and gloom about ticket sales - but every time I try to buy tickets to anything it's sold out :cry: Was thinking of catching triathlon, sold out. Track cycling, sold out.

I did get tickets to baseball/softball medal games well in advance since it's local and my kids are into those, should be fun.

Enjoy!

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:33 am

jonovision_man wrote:All the doom and gloom about ticket sales - but every time I try to buy tickets to anything it's sold out :cry: Was thinking of catching triathlon, sold out. Track cycling, sold out.

I did get tickets to baseball/softball medal games well in advance since it's local and my kids are into those, should be fun.

Enjoy!

Most of the medal events are sold out. That's what the general public wants to see. Only true fans of a sport will want to go to preliminary rounds.

They told us last night that tickets for Triathlon are going for $560 on StubHub! :shock:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:35 am

Aren't there places you can watch the triathlon without tickets?

Eta- just went back a few posts and I see you can. :) sounds like fun- go watch!
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:43 am

La wrote:Did you know that you can watch triathlon, road cycling, and the marathons free of charge if you are anywhere along Lake Shore west of Ontario Place or in/around High Park? You only need tickets for the grandstand at the start/finish area (and to watch the swimming).

Good info, thanks! Makes sense.

La wrote:They told us last night that tickets for Triathlon are going for $560 on StubHub

I'm a frequent StubHubber... buyer/seller - what things are listed for and what they're actually selling for are two entirely different things.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:58 am

jonovision_man wrote:
La wrote:Did you know that you can watch triathlon, road cycling, and the marathons free of charge if you are anywhere along Lake Shore west of Ontario Place or in/around High Park? You only need tickets for the grandstand at the start/finish area (and to watch the swimming).

There are two big hills that they will climb on the bike (road cycling, not triathlon): Centre Road in High Park, and Ellis Ave/Olympus Ave on the west side of High Park. I don't know the area very well, but I'm told Olympus is quite the steep climb. In fact, they aren't using it for ParaPanAm cycling because the turns are too tight for some of the bikes (e.g., tandems). If you want to see them get some speed going, Parkside Drive from Bloor to Lake Shore will be the place to watch.

Men do 10 laps of 18K, and the women do 6 laps. Both are the afternoon/evening of Saturday, July 25. Race starts at 3:30PM (not sure which race goes first).

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:36 pm

La wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:

There are two big hills that they will climb on the bike (road cycling, not triathlon): Centre Road in High Park, and Ellis Ave/Olympus Ave on the west side of High Park. I don't know the area very well, but I'm told Olympus is quite the steep climb. In fact, they aren't using it for ParaPanAm cycling because the turns are too tight for some of the bikes (e.g., tandems). If you want to see them get some speed going, Parkside Drive from Bloor to Lake Shore will be the place to watch.

Men do 10 laps of 18K, and the women do 6 laps. Both are the afternoon/evening of Saturday, July 25. Race starts at 3:30PM (not sure which race goes first).

Tandem bikes is in the PanAm games? I have got to see this.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:39 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
La wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:

It's for one of the para-events. They use tandems for blind cyclists with a sighted guide/co-cyclist who rides in the front.

http://www.toronto2015.org/parapan/cycling-road
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:41 pm

Jwolf wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:
La wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:

It's for one of the para-events. They use tandems for blind cyclists with a sighted guide/co-cyclist who rides in the front.

I'm not going to lie, I'm a little disappointed.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:00 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:
La wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:

Why does this disappoint you?

Those tandems will be FLYING on the descents. They could get up to 80-90kph.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:12 pm

I saw a tandem at the race I was at in Gatineau last weekend and there was a blind swimmer with a guide with a tether.

The tandem bike at the race is finally making sense to me now (I only saw them entering the water).

Very neat!

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:21 pm

La wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:
La wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:

Why does this disappoint you?

Those tandems will be FLYING on the descents. They could get up to 80-90kph.

Because I would have also liked to see tandem bikes in the primary games.

Return to “General Running Discussion”