Nike Women Race Series in Toronto! June 14, 2015

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

lorei
Tom Longboat

Nike Women Race Series in Toronto! June 14, 2015

Postby lorei » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:45 pm

Nike isn't doing the DC half this year, will be doing 15K in Toronto instead!

Mark your calendars for June 14

Random draw registration opens Mar 9

No other details at this point....

http://www.twitter.com/runnikewomen

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Re: Nike Women Race Series in Toronto! June 14, 2015

Postby purdy65 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:52 pm

The Nike runto was my first race! It was fantastic!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:20 pm

I am really sad it isn't DC this spring. It was such a nice race. But TO could be fun! I did read in the comments that Nike said it will be on Toronto Island.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:01 am

Tori wrote:I did read in the comments that Nike said it will be on Toronto Island.

That sucks. Although the Island is flat and fast, it has two logistical flaws: 1) having to take the ferry over (line-ups are insane), and 2) too many non-runners on the island getting in the way of racers (though that might not be too much of an issue if the race is early enough in the day).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:05 am

Yes it is on the island. The logistical stuff is difficult, but it's so nice running over there. Flat with great views.

I'm actually torn. The 10K I ran last year (Spring Fling in Sunnybrook park) is the same weekend. I have a certain amount of loyalty to the RD at that race. I actually feel bad for him - nasty having to compete with a Nike event.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:17 am

purdy65 wrote:Yes it is on the island. The logistical stuff is difficult, but it's so nice running over there. Flat with great views.

I'm actually torn. The 10K I ran last year (Spring Fling in Sunnybrook park) is the same weekend. I have a certain amount of loyalty to the RD at that race. I actually feel bad for him - nasty having to compete with a Nike event.

If it is like the other Nike women's races it will be a lottery so people will know if they got in fairly soon after the draw closes. That should help the other race. Plus it is likely not a Tiffany's necklace which seems to be the big draw usually to their 1/2 marathons. The new races they have been hosting this year in the schedule have all been Nike medals.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:35 pm

Tori wrote:
purdy65 wrote:Yes it is on the island. The logistical stuff is difficult, but it's so nice running over there. Flat with great views.

If it is like the other Nike women's races it will be a lottery so people will know if they got in fairly soon after the draw closes. That should help the other race. Plus it is likely not a Tiffany's necklace which seems to be the big draw usually to their 1/2 marathons. The new races they have been hosting this year in the schedule have all been Nike medals.

interesting! what other races have they had? have they had the same hoopla that SF / DC had?
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:51 am

I have to say, the Tiffany necklace is appealing, may try my hand at the draw!

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:10 pm

I am waiting for when the Nike Men's Race Series comes to Canada. Instead of a Tiffany necklace, isn't the draw prize a chainsaw?
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:44 am

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:30 pm

Well so far no luck signing in. They seem to be having problems. Anyone else?

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:09 pm

I got in ok so did my friend.

n_fraser
Tom Longboat

Postby n_fraser » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:55 pm

purdy65 wrote:Well so far no luck signing in. They seem to be having problems. Anyone else?
I had trouble at first. Refresh your browser, or exit out and try a different one.

lorei
Tom Longboat

Postby lorei » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:30 am

I'm in the lottery! They confirmed on the Facebook Q&A that the medal will be a Tiffany Necklace :dance:

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:23 am

lorei wrote:I'm in the lottery! They confirmed on the Facebook Q&A that the medal will be a Tiffany Necklace :dance:

That's why I entered too, I'm vain...want the necklace :)

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:46 am

OK, so I'm really of two minds on this.

$120 for a 15K - really? The medal better be a Tiffany necklace. I can run one for $50 in Sunnybrook park on the same day.

But still... A race on the island is always good.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:06 pm

You're right, it's pricey - but what you're paying for in most cases is the experience. Just like any event - there will be $50 concerts and $120+ concerts...sometimes the price difference is worth it, sometimes it's not, and people will disagree on the point.

I entered the lottery because I have always wanted to try one of the Nike events but the timing for paying for a trip to San Fran or DC didn't work out for me - $120 is expensive but cheaper than a flight + race entry fee ;)

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:25 pm

gnu wrote:You're right, it's pricey - but what you're paying for in most cases is the experience. Just like any event - there will be $50 concerts and $120+ concerts...sometimes the price difference is worth it, sometimes it's not, and people will disagree on the point.

I entered the lottery because I have always wanted to try one of the Nike events but the timing for paying for a trip to San Fran or DC didn't work out for me - $120 is expensive but cheaper than a flight + race entry fee ;)

To me, the appeal of the Nike Women's Race was the location! I was willing to fork out $120 (or however much it was in 2011) to run in San Fran and have a girls weekend, but I'm not willing to fork out $120 to run on the Toronto frickin' Island! :lol:

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:46 pm

canalrunner wrote:I am waiting for when the Nike Men's Race Series comes to Canada. Instead of a Tiffany necklace, isn't the draw prize a chainsaw?

I like the way you think

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:54 pm

gnu wrote:You're right, it's pricey - but what you're paying for in most cases is the experience. Just like any event - there will be $50 concerts and $120+ concerts...sometimes the price difference is worth it, sometimes it's not, and people will disagree on the point.

I love the Nike events! The experience has always been good. I love my necklaces and wear one everyday so the cost for the necklace I think is pretty decent. I am sad I can't do this one, the dates just don't work at my house and I even have guaranteed entry for being a student. :(

cbaker1
Tom Longboat

Postby cbaker1 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:58 am

How many people think Nike is just trying to create hype here? I think they will get a great turnout, by Toronto standards, but 15,000 runners whom I assume will be 90% women seems a little aggressive and I doubt they need to do a lottery. I am going to go on record and predict they get 5,000 finishers. Given the short timeframe for entry, the fact its not at least a half and the higher than average entry fee for just a 15km race,I just don't see this being a huge destination race for people outside of Canada.

My wife did Nike San Fran and it was well organized so other than transporting everyone over to the island, it will probably be a great event.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:10 am

cbaker1 wrote:How many people think Nike is just trying to create hype here? I think they will get a great turnout, by Toronto standards, but 15,000 runners whom I assume will be 90% women seems a little aggressive and I doubt they need to do a lottery. I am going to go on record and predict they get 5,000 finishers. Given the short timeframe for entry, the fact its not at least a half and the higher than average entry fee for just a 15km race,I just don't see this being a huge destination race for people outside of Canada.

My wife did Nike San Fran and it was well organized so other than transporting everyone over to the island, it will probably be a great event.

I agree. I think having the race in Canada limits the pool of participants pretty dramatically (fewer Americans coming here). the necklaces are beautiful, but the rest of this race doesn't appeal to me (vs San Fran or DC which I would do)
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:23 pm

Once Rock n Roll took over a race here and added a half-marathon, it got huge and so many people came from the U.S. too. The Lululemon half also attracted over half of its entrants from the U.S. and if sold out quickly. So if Nike does its marketing right it could be as big as they want.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:03 am

purdy65 wrote:OK, so I'm really of two minds on this.

$120 for a 15K - really? The medal better be a Tiffany necklace. I can run one for $50 in Sunnybrook park on the same day.

But still... A race on the island is always good.

Similar to the Melissa's even out west. The 22 and 10 were the same price, but this year there is no 22, but a 5 instead and either races are still $70. I think this the first year in avery long time that the even hasn't sold out quickly.

I'd love to do another Nike event but the Toronto one doesn't appeal to me. Hopefully DC one day.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:46 am

IronColl wrote:...the Toronto one doesn't appeal to me.

:( :evil:

;)

That's the point I was making above. If you're from here (or even from somewhere else in Canada and have already been to TO), there's not a huge appeal. There might be from people outside of Canada, especially since the CAD$ is quite low.

The group I went to Philly with last fall is talking about doing the RnR Half in Montreal this fall. I'm kind of meh about that. I can go to Montreal any time I want, so it doesn't hold much appeal (same for Ottawa).

Return to “General Running Discussion”