Running stroller

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Running stroller

Postby fingerboy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:47 am

Can someone recommend one? Any success for roads and or trails? seems like they may be a bit different? obviously I wouldn't be doing any killer trails with a stroller. Something about a 6 inch wide catwalk does not say bring a stroller :)

I probably won't use it with a bike.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Running stroller

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:25 am

If this is your way of announcing you're having a baby, CONGRATULATIONS!!

I have no recommendations.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:01 am

Thanks Habs,

My daughter was born a few weeks ago. I've just been caught up over the past few months with work and then final prep for our house and of course the arrival of the new boss.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:47 am

PM Jes, as I believe that she was selling her BOB recently??
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:49 pm

Scrummy is our in-house stroller running expert but my view is that if you're not going to be in need of a bike trailer down the road, the BOB Revolution SE is the best option. I accidentally bought the CE and I don't like the wheels as much but it doesn't make a big difference in the grand scheme of things. If there's a chance that you'll want bike trailer or xc ski pulk function down the road then a Chariot is a better-suited all-in-one. I've seen a few of the other running-type strollers out there, e.g. Bumbleride, City Select etc, but I don't see too many hardcore runners using them.

Congratulations!
Carm

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:26 pm

Congratulations on the new addition!

We had Running Room Chariot for nearly 10 years, bought it used in 2005 and finally got rid of it this year.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-baby-stroller-ca ... nFlag=true

http://kelowna.canadianlisted.com/baby- ... 05640.html

They stopped making them a while ago, but there's still a ton out there used on Kijiji. The basket underneath and the rain cover are excellent. Plus, you know, they're usually about $50.

We also had a Bob Revolution (double stroller) and I didn't like that nearly as much. Smaller wheels, much less sturdy, more finicky settings.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:58 pm

Congrats! I have both a BOB and a Chariot (double). Love them both and don't think you can go wrong with either. I don't do any trail running with them, and personally, don't think it would be too enjoyable. You really want to run over the smoothest surface possible - both for baby safety and for your own ability to move forward. A firmly packed rail trail might be ok, but nothing with roots, uneven terrain etc. I do as much of my stroller running as possible on paved bike paths - it's perfection.

Officially, you're not really supposed to run with strollers until 6 months or so, but I started earlier with both kids. The chariot has an optional infant sling which allows baby to lie almost flat, which personally I preferred to running with the bucket seat attached to the bob (which makes the whole thing a bit top heavy).

I've run something crazy like 2000 kms with a stroller over the last 4 years, so if you have any questions, let me know.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:34 pm

fingerboy wrote:Thanks Habs,

My daughter was born a few weeks ago. I've just been caught up over the past few months with work and then final prep for our house and of course the arrival of the new boss.

WONDERFUL news!! Congratulations.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:31 pm

Congratulations!
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:43 am

Thanks guys!

Anyone try the bob ironman? it seems to have a fixed wheel only. Since this would be a second stroller I'm not too concerned if its running only.

Those RR ones look great! much more aerodynamic :) I wonder why they stopped selling them?

Edit: with a bit of research into "chariot" aka google, it looks like its either now sold by or always was sold by, thule:

http://www.thule.com/en-us/ca/products/ ... _-10101901

I guess the big question is if you only used it for one purpose would a bigger front wheel (fixed) be better overall for running? I'm assuming so but those who've used it can way in?
The Thule model comes with a variable lockable wheel too - sold at MEC (they're called the Thule Glide/Urban Glide)

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:57 am

The BOB I had had a fixed front wheel and (once I got it tracking straight) I never used it in anything but the fixed position.

Chariot I think they killed the Running Room one because it was the only one in their product line that could only be used for running, they focused exclusively on multi-purpose strollers. They used to be owned and built here in Calgary, Thule must have bought them sometime in the last few years.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:11 am

Personally, I actually prefer to run with the an unlocked front wheel - I have the Bob revolution and I always run with it unlocked. My double chariot has a fixed wheel, and I find it never runs quite truly straight - this is probably partially because I have two kids of different sizes and because it's super old. The bob is new though and a single, and I still like the moving wheel, but it's not a deal breaker.

And yes - Thule now owns Chariots. They are fabulous products and really stand the test of time.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:53 pm

I'm in the fixed front wheel camp. Try before you buy, as it's a personal preference.

The used BOBs are coming down in price a lot - some are selling for as low as $100-150 now but they get snapped up quickly. I paid $250 for mine with all the accessories (bug cover, rain cover, drink holder for me and baby, fleece insert, extra front wheel) a couple years ago. Chariots are a lot more used ($400-500+) so that's something else to consider if you already have another stroller.

I ran with my daughter forward-facing in the BOB once we got the OK at our 6 month check-up but it's at the parent's discretion. My suburban neighbourhood has a lot of big curbs and damaged sidewalks so I didn't feel comfortable running with the bucket seat on top. Plus my baby was born at the end of November and we got a lot of snow that winter so I wasn't running outdoors much.
Carm

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:20 pm

Congratulations. :)

I don't have any imput since my babies are now teenagers :) and the same strollers didn't exist back then. Although Chariot has been around forever, and has always been a good one (but also the most $$). But I would also suggest trying something out before buying it, and shopping around for used. Some are more comfortable for taller people (can't remember how tall you are) and some have some adjustability in that area.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:18 pm

I have no stroller advice for you, but congratulations on the new baby daughter! :D
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:37 am

Thanks.

Looks like I'll have a fun morning at MEC one of these days. I'm sad that my DD will only be 6mo in mid-Jan so I'm not so cruel as to force her into the dead of winter but we'll see. She has pretty good head control and while she bumps around in a bassinet on our walks she seems to enjoy it. We've been walking with her since 1 week old. :D

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:12 am

BTW as a follow up, we ended up getting the Bob SUS. It took a bit of getting used to but its good now.

When we got it (pre-assembled from MEC?) the fender was on backwards and I figured it out - someone along the way had used locktite/glue on the screw to glue it into place where it shouldn't have and the assembler couldn't get it off. Who knows - but after a quick trip to MEC they were able to vice grip that thing off and replaced the screw. (Seriously I used a power drill with a screw bit and couldn't budge it).

When we first used it it had a bias to the right. I just played with the tightening of the front wheel a bit or its a bit more broken in - but it rides true now.

It handles pretty well - if you pull up the front wheel (ie push down on the back) it can turn on a time, but its dangerous to do this at speed because its really light (just an FYI). Now that I've used it a few times I don't have much of a problem turning by pulling on one side of the handle bar around the corner.

And the big tires from the SUS (mountain bike tires) were good in trail - just a walk in Moore park at this point) but not a peep out of my daughter. I took it over the grass too in a big field and she bounced around but wasn't too uncomfortable (at a walk pace).

At this stage I run with her in the car seat and I think she likes it. The top part folds over nicely into the car seat cover to give her full rain protection/some wind protection.

In the end I'm saying I give it my thumbs up!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:02 am

Sounds great. :) How old is she now?

Did you buy it new or used?
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:45 am

She's 4 months and a bit now. Started at 3 mo.

We bought it new (was a present). That's probably why the tire was so rigid to start.

Return to “Gearing Up”