A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

ultraslacker
Site Admin

no more ice and Ibu?

Postby ultraslacker » Mon May 04, 2015 9:27 am

I don't think this one has been posted here yet:
http://stoneathleticmedicine.com/2013/1 ... he-answer/

Discuss!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

no more ice and Ibu?

Postby Jwolf » Mon May 04, 2015 9:54 am

Maybe not that one but this point has been discussed a lot. :(
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: no more ice and Ibu?

Postby ultraslacker » Mon May 04, 2015 10:11 am

has it? I've missed it.

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon May 04, 2015 11:29 am

The bit about light exercise as a repair stimulus is new to me.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon May 04, 2015 11:59 am

People don't take NSAIDs and use ice because they think inflammation is bad; they do it because inflammation hurts and they want to relieve their pain!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Mon May 04, 2015 2:32 pm

La wrote:People don't take NSAIDs and use ice because they think inflammation is bad; they do it because inflammation hurts and they want to relieve their pain!

+ 1. An ice cold beer (for the carbs of course), low resistance/high revolution cycling, ice cold bath or shower, and topical analgesic . If that doesn't work I like to report the first step a couple of times.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon May 04, 2015 3:44 pm

I thought people took NSAIDs because the thought used to be that you needed to reduce the inflammation to help the healing.

Last time we discussed this there was talk about how internal inflammation (sterile inflammation) does not have a protective effect and is therefore not needed for injury recovery. But the jury still seems to be out.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon May 04, 2015 5:19 pm

From the article holly posted: equating the inflammation process with fever is an interesting one-- some people think that you shouldn't bring down fever with Advil or Aspirin because fever is the body's way of fighting off infection. However, proponents of fever-reducing medication assure us that while the medication reduces the fever (and the potentially dangerous effects of it), it does not reduce the body's infection-fighting ability.

Here is one of the articles I remember discussing before, which talks about the difference between sterile and non-sterile inflammation:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/hea ... e21363646/

As for the beneficial effects of icing-- my doctor described it to me once that icing and then rewarming helps encourage blood flow to return to the injured site, thus accelerating healing. Anyway, seems to work for me.

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

no more ice and Ibu?

Postby marymac442 » Mon May 04, 2015 8:41 pm

La wrote:People don't take NSAIDs and use ice because they think inflammation is bad; they do it because inflammation hurts and they want to relieve their pain!

+1
I also like the judicial ingestion of fermented beverages as pain reliever.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

Pat29
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat29 » Wed May 06, 2015 9:34 am

I like canalrunner's approach.
[b]2016 Races:[b]

January - Richmond Road Races 10 km 41:06
March - St Patrick's Day 10 km 41:31
April - Minto Run for Reach half-marathon 1:28:56
May - Sporting Life 10 km - 41:10
May - Ottawa Marathon - 3:26:37
September - Army Run

My running blog: http://www.thecourageoflungs.com

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:18 pm

Have been icing on and off this weekend. It doesn't seem to make a difference on the swelling, but it does feel nice. So I guess that is what matters right now lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:17 pm

I think you alternate hot and cold. Cold to keep down the swelling and inflammation and heat to expand the capillaries to get more blood flow for healing.

...and beer is good for treatment AND prevention.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:03 pm

I don't drink beer! But wine and icecream are also therapeutic!

Alternating hot and cold would require getting up and walking to the kitchen twice as often. :lol: So I'm just doing cold, and then only periodically (as often as I feel like getting up and walking to the kitchen...).

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:40 am

I love this quote - always thought it odd that we'd try suppress the body's natural response...

Editor in Chief of The Physician and Sports Medicine Journal (Dr. Nick DiNubile) once posed this question: “Seriously, do you honestly believe that your body’s natural inflammatory response is a mistake?”

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:43 pm

jonovision_man wrote:I love this quote - always thought it odd that we'd try suppress the body's natural response...

Editor in Chief of The Physician and Sports Medicine Journal (Dr. Nick DiNubile) once posed this question: “Seriously, do you honestly believe that your body’s natural inflammatory response is a mistake?”

jono

On the other hand, my body's natural response to getting tired from running is to stop running. Competitive racing (and the associated training) is at some level an unnatural activity for which we shouldn't necessarily assume the body is optimally adapted.

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:53 pm

jonovision_man wrote:I love this quote - always thought it odd that we'd try suppress the body's natural response...

jono

Interesting quote from a doctor. I suppose "don't prescribe anything for anything" if we carry that to extreme. Hate to think what that would do to doctor's incomes, drug company profits and perhaps even someone's health. Personally I don't mind taking some nature little helpers like analgesic rub, Ibuprofen, compression socks and of course beer. Had my best marathon recovery everthis summer when I did very cold pools (+7 degrees) and then hot pools (+42 degrees) and repeated that on the afternoon of the marathon.....along with my beer. No issues with stairs or stiffness the next day, very little lactic acid tightness. Ran easily on day 2.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:54 pm

ian wrote:

jono

On the other hand, my body's natural response to getting tired from running is to stop running. Competitive racing (and the associated training) is at some level an unnatural activity for which we shouldn't necessarily assume the body is optimally adapted.

True of most sports. The winner is often the person best able to suppress their natural responses to pain, tiredness, inflammation.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:43 pm

which is why I don't win races, or even run competitively. :lol:

I'm a big sucky baby when I get hurt.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:25 pm

canalrunner wrote:

jono

Interesting quote from a doctor. I suppose "don't prescribe anything for anything" if we carry that to extreme. Hate to think what that would do to doctor's incomes, drug company profits and perhaps even someone's health.

I suppose, although a lot of prescriptions are more to do with complimenting the body's response, not shutting it down. Except when it's mis-firing, like with allergies and such. I wouldn't think of the normal inflammatory response to exercise as a mis-fire.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

no more ice and Ibu?

Postby Jwolf » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:20 pm

jono

I don't think it's quite so obvious. There are many healing responses our bodies have that can cause other problems, so we treat those. For example the body's histamine response to an allergen or irritant- tie body makes your throat swell to keep out the foreign substance but it also blocks oxygen from getting in and CO2 from getting out. If you just let the body do its own thing you'd die waiting for it to protect you from the foreign substance. So we give drugs to block the histamine response.
An extreme example yes- but the thinking behind suppressing inflammation is that it can cause worse problems while it is trying to heal other problems.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:19 am

jonovision_man wrote:
canalrunner wrote:

jono

Interesting quote from a doctor. I suppose "don't prescribe anything for anything" if we carry that to extreme. Hate to think what that would do to doctor's incomes, drug company profits and perhaps even someone's health.

I suppose, although a lot of prescriptions are more to do with complimenting the body's response, not shutting it down. Except when it's mis-firing, like with allergies and such. I wouldn't think of the normal inflammatory response to exercise as a mis-fire.

jono

And a lot of life is about counteracting our bodies responses when its not convenient for our lives. My body is telling me this morning that I need to get some more sleep and I'm responding with coffee, not sleep. Later on I may take a headache pill instead of going home to bed.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:27 am

that's a choice though, and not a healthy one. With an injury, I have a choice of how to treat it (with ice/physio/whatever). So if one way is going to provide a better recovery then I'd choose that. :/ Since the jury seems to still be out, I have been icing but not obsessively... just when it feels sore/stiff.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:41 am

turd ferguson wrote: And a lot of life is about counteracting our bodies responses when its not convenient for our lives. My body is telling me this morning that I need to get some more sleep and I'm responding with coffee, not sleep. Later on I may take a headache pill instead of going home to bed.

Exactly. And athletes are horrible about this; we're always trying to speed up the healing process because we have an event coming up.

It's like the difference between Advil's ads (take our cold medicine and you can maintain your normal life) and Benelyn's ads (take some Benelyn, stay home from work, get well, THEN go back to work). It implies that real people don't have the luxury of taking the time to heal.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:10 am

La wrote:
turd ferguson wrote: And a lot of life is about counteracting our bodies responses when its not convenient for our lives. My body is telling me this morning that I need to get some more sleep and I'm responding with coffee, not sleep. Later on I may take a headache pill instead of going home to bed.

Exactly. And athletes are horrible about this; we're always trying to speed up the healing process because we have an event coming up.

It's like the difference between Advil's ads (take our cold medicine and you can maintain your normal life) and Benelyn's ads (take some Benelyn, stay home from work, get well, THEN go back to work). It implies that real people don't have the luxury of taking the time to heal.

I'm reminded about a quote in a book I read about baseball - maybe it was Ball Four - on the difference between 'hurt' and 'injured'. It was along the lines of baseball in September - everybody is hurt, everybody has aches and pains. 'Hurt' you play through. 'Injured' you don't.

The Benelyn ads, I have no idea. Whether someone should go to work or not when they have a sniffle is a question for another thread :)

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:51 am

Jwolf wrote:

jono

I don't think it's quite so obvious. There are many healing responses our bodies have that can cause other problems, so we treat those. For example the body's histamine response to an allergen or irritant- tie body makes your throat swell to keep out the foreign substance but it also blocks oxygen from getting in and CO2 from getting out. If you just let the body do its own thing you'd die waiting for it to protect you from the foreign substance. So we give drugs to block the histamine response.
An extreme example yes- but the thinking behind suppressing inflammation is that it can cause worse problems while it is trying to heal other problems.

But that's someone with allergies... aka a faulty immune system over-reacting to something. Is your body faulty when it causes the typical inflammation humans get after prolonged exercise? I don't think so, not for most people anyway.

jono
Visit my blog!

Return to “General Running Discussion”