Adding a run

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

bluejay
Percy Williams

Adding a run

Postby bluejay » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:04 am

Hi

I would like to add a run to my week (currently, I run MWF). I read that I should only increase mileage about 10% total per week. But right now, I only run about 9 miles per week. So does that really mean I should start with my additional run at 1 mile or so?

Thanks

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Re: Adding a run

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:16 am

bluejay wrote:Hi

I would like to add a run to my week (currently, I run MWF). I read that I should only increase mileage about 10% total per week. But right now, I only run about 9 miles per week. So does that really mean I should start with my additional run at 1 mile or so?

Thanks

One suggestion I have heard is to add a small bit to each of your regular runs gradually, then shorten the runs back and then add an extra run of the combined distance. Or, instead of doing 3/3/3, you could 3/2/3/2 to start (total increase of 1 mile), then the next week 3/2/3/3 and then 3/3/3/3 if you're feeling good.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

bluejay
Percy Williams

Postby bluejay » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:44 pm

Ok thanks, that makes much more sense!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:15 pm

That's a good suggestion. But you COULD also start with a 1-mile run on the fourth day, and then build up from there. There are lots of ways you could do it.

Also remember that the "10% rule" shouldn't necessarily be the goal every week. Think of it as an upper limit rather than goal-- after a few weeks of increasing you may way to hold at the new level for a few weeks before increasing again. Also, you can sometimes get away with jumping up more than 10% in one week as long as you don't do it all the time.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:15 am

You also might think about keeping the 3 run/week schedule for now and working towards making one of your runs longer.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:23 am

and/or do every other day instead of 3x/week (so every other week would have 4).
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:50 pm

In the train forward method and to be extra safe, 10% for three weeks, cut back week and then repeat.

So it would be 10, 10, 10, 9, 11, 11, 11, 10, 12, 12, 12, 11 and so forth.

Full disclosure: My method would be 9, 10, 15, 23 ... of course I have a narrowed disc with arthritis in my lower back because of that but it was a fun ride while it lasted.

bluejay
Percy Williams

Postby bluejay » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:57 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. My plan is to add 1 run, and then slowly make that 4th run a longer run. Say I keep my schedule of MWF...is it better to make that long run on Sat (so I have more rest before running again), or on Sun, so I have a rest day before the longer run? I know the best answer is probably anywhere I can fit it in, but I do better if I schedule it in.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:05 pm

bluejay wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. My plan is to add 1 run, and then slowly make that 4th run a longer run. Say I keep my schedule of MWF...is it better to make that long run on Sat (so I have more rest before running again), or on Sun, so I have a rest day before the longer run? I know the best answer is probably anywhere I can fit it in, but I do better if I schedule it in.

Which way works best for your life schedule? Do that. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Adding a run

Postby Jwolf » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:42 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
bluejay wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. My plan is to add 1 run, and then slowly make that 4th run a longer run. Say I keep my schedule of MWF...is it better to make that long run on Sat (so I have more rest before running again), or on Sun, so I have a rest day before the longer run? I know the best answer is probably anywhere I can fit it in, but I do better if I schedule it in.

Which way works best for your life schedule? Do that. :)

Exactly.

One way may require more rest or recovery on this or that day, but eventually you will adapt. The best schedule is the one that works for you.

I once read about an accomplished masters runner who was a physician- she had a busy schedule with two complete days off on the weekends. She did two long runs on those days, sometimes as much as 20 miles each day, with very little running on the other 5 days (3 miles maybe 2-3 times). It wasn't a schedule that you'd see in any book, but it worked for her.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Return to “Training ”