Marathon Weekend in Toronto/Mississauga

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Marathon Weekend in Toronto/Mississauga

Postby La » Sun May 01, 2016 9:17 am

I totally missed scrummy. :( I got there about 3 minutes before the 3:35 bunny came through. Hope that means she had a great run!

Sent from my SM-G850W using Tapatalk
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Sun May 01, 2016 9:34 am

Huh? Tracking only has 35 k up???
She's done? Freaking heck.

And I can't find Purdy on tracking...... :(
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sun May 01, 2016 10:17 am

chunkymonkeymelonhed wrote:Huh? Tracking only has 35 k up???

Where'd you find the link? When I click on the 2016 Live Results it takes me to the 10K race info home page. :?

ETA: I got to where I was hoping to see her, just before the half-way point.

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Sun May 01, 2016 10:23 am

La wrote:
chunkymonkeymelonhed wrote:Huh? Tracking only has 35 k up???

Where'd you find the link? When I click on the 2016 Live Results it takes me to the 10K race info home page. :?

ETA: I got to where I was hoping to see her, just before the half-way point.

Found it at Sportstats.ca.
I have stampie on watch list but I can't find Jen. Couldn't find Purdy at Toronto either, :roll:
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Scotia Half - June 25th
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sun May 01, 2016 10:34 am

No wonder I missed her... 3:29!!! Holy crap! :shock: Well done, scrummy! :clap:

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sun May 01, 2016 10:37 am

Lisa hit split #2 (35K) at 3:27. No finish time for her yet. That was about 40 minutes ago.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sun May 01, 2016 10:50 am

Lisa is done in 4:10.

I never saw her while I was out there (and I was out there well past the 4:30 pace bunny).

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Sun May 01, 2016 10:55 am

Congrats Lisa, great race :dance:
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Scotia Half - June 25th
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Sun May 01, 2016 12:20 pm

Hi guys! Chip time 4:09:15. Splits are unbelievable. 2:04:43 and 2:04:32. Never done that before! Miserable last 7k
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun May 01, 2016 12:36 pm

Thanks everyone! Like Purdy said, the last 7 km were probably the hardest I have ever run in a race. Crazy headwind and very wet. At the 36ish km mark I was fading and 2 girls passed me and told me to jump on their train. Thank goodness for them - I picked it up and finished strong. Hard earned PB and BQ!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun May 01, 2016 12:41 pm

Congratulations Jesse! So happy for you.

Nice racing everyone!
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Sun May 01, 2016 12:44 pm

Jesse I just knew you would do well. Huge congrats
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Sun May 01, 2016 1:16 pm

purdy65 wrote:Hi guys! Chip time 4:09:15. Splits are unbelievable. 2:04:43 and 2:04:32. Never done that before! Miserable last 7k

Now that is about as even as you can get :shock:
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Scotia Half - June 25th
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Sun May 01, 2016 1:17 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:Thanks everyone! Like Purdy said, the last 7 km were probably the hardest I have ever run in a race. Crazy headwind and very wet. At the 36ish km mark I was fading and 2 girls passed me and told me to jump on their train. Thank goodness for them - I picked it up and finished strong. Hard earned PB and BQ!

Wind and rain and you still crushed it???!!! I can't imagine what you would have done in better conditions. Wow.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Scotia Half - June 25th
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Sun May 01, 2016 6:15 pm

Awesome races. Powerful running.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon May 02, 2016 6:41 am

scrumhalfgirl wrote:Thanks everyone! Like Purdy said, the last 7 km were probably the hardest I have ever run in a race. Crazy headwind and very wet. At the 36ish km mark I was fading and 2 girls passed me and told me to jump on their train. Thank goodness for them - I picked it up and finished strong. Hard earned PB and BQ!

I checked your results as soon as I got home and was thrilled...way to go...fantastic result on a good weather day, let alone a day like that. Nicely done.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon May 02, 2016 9:59 am

Just wanted to rant a little about Toronto.

- They ran out of water/Gatorade at the aid stations in the last 10km. I've read reports this has happened before - how does it continue to happen!?
- Seriously undermanned aid stations near the end - had to stop and wait for the one or two volunteers standing at the table to pour a drink
- Bag check - this is unbelievable to me - they just laid them, out on the ground, in the rain. Those dry clothes you packed? Well, now they're wet.
- No blankets or anything at the end like most major/real races would have on a dreary, cold, wet day
- I love(d) this course, cutting right through the heart of the city, wonderful. But without the Queen's Park finish, the out-and-back along Lakeshore is so long and soul-destroying, followed by finishing at the beautiful...Ontario Place abandoned parking lot? Eww.
- Related to this - there was really no clear directions/signs on how to get to the TTC to get out of there... streetcar loop was closed for construction, we kind of meandered up and managed to find a bus to Dufferin station. But a volunteer or sign pointing to where to go might help?

So yeah, likely my last time at this one, I love the city, love the first about 25km of the course, but not enough to put up with all that nonsense. Off to a better organized race next time.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon May 02, 2016 10:05 am

The bags in the rain pissed me off too. And the TTC situation. I used the 35k station which was
Ok and didn't use one after that. I could see they were meager

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Mon May 02, 2016 10:10 am

Liked the course, but to a non Toronto person- getting out of the downtown was horrible. We just assumed there would be signs pointing to shuttle buses or we would she the TTC buses. I will never be so ill prepared to get home, especially in hypothermic like conditions.
Completely forgot about food as I was just wanting to leave. Kind of a let down considering I had BQed.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon May 02, 2016 10:15 am

Annelizabeth wrote:Liked the course, but to a non Toronto person- getting out of the downtown was horrible. We just assumed there would be signs pointing to shuttle buses or we would she the TTC buses. I will never be so ill prepared to get home, especially in hypothermic like conditions.
Completely forgot about food as I was just wanting to leave. Kind of a let down considering I had BQed.

Congrats on the BQ! :)

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon May 02, 2016 10:17 am

Annelizabeth wrote:Liked the course, but to a non Toronto person- getting out of the downtown was horrible. We just assumed there would be signs pointing to shuttle buses or we would she the TTC buses. I will never be so ill prepared to get home, especially in hypothermic like conditions.

Congrats on the BQ, that's awesome :)

Mississauga had the bags in the rain too, but they always have them out on the grass so I was prepared. I put my dry clothes in a plastic bag inside my duffel. I had a feeling they would be on the grass again so glad I did. I was freezing after the race so was happy for the dry clothes (was still cold after).

One of the main reasons I don't do Toronto is the logistics....I find Mississauga very organized with the shuttles (I park at Cawthra which is in between), before and after the race. I was home in Bradford by 1:00

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue May 03, 2016 6:54 am

jonovision_man wrote:Just wanted to rant a little about Toronto.

- They ran out of water/Gatorade at the aid stations in the last 10km. I've read reports this has happened before - how does it continue to happen!?
- Seriously undermanned aid stations near the end - had to stop and wait for the one or two volunteers standing at the table to pour a drink
- Bag check - this is unbelievable to me - they just laid them, out on the ground, in the rain. Those dry clothes you packed? Well, now they're wet.
- No blankets or anything at the end like most major/real races would have on a dreary, cold, wet day
- I love(d) this course, cutting right through the heart of the city, wonderful. But without the Queen's Park finish, the out-and-back along Lakeshore is so long and soul-destroying, followed by finishing at the beautiful...Ontario Place abandoned parking lot? Eww.
- Related to this - there was really no clear directions/signs on how to get to the TTC to get out of there... streetcar loop was closed for construction, we kind of meandered up and managed to find a bus to Dufferin station. But a volunteer or sign pointing to where to go might help?

So yeah, likely my last time at this one, I love the city, love the first about 25km of the course, but not enough to put up with all that nonsense. Off to a better organized race next time.

jono

I agree with a lot of this. The organization for the start was great - I stayed at the Hilton, took the shuttle to the start and we were able to wait in the city building and use the bathrooms before. That was all lovely. The first half of the course was great - aid stations were frequent. Not a lot of cheering, but those people that were out were great. The second part was another story. The out along the lakeshore wasn't bad, but I don't think there were any aid stations from the turn around until about the 41 km mark. Not a huge deal since it was cool out (in fact, freezing at that point!) but on a hot day, that would have been very very bad. No blankets at the finish line was not ok. I was instantly shaking with cold. Thankfully, a friend met me at the end and she had an extra coat which she let me wear until I got to the bus (still shaking). And about those buses...no signs pointing to where they were and no one at the end who could tell us where they were. I limped around the finish line until we finally caught a glimpse of a bus and hoped they were in fact the right ones. If it weren't for my friend helping me around, I think I would still be curled up and shivering in a puddle.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Return to “General Running Discussion”