The new Ryan Hall

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

The new Ryan Hall

Postby jonovision_man » Wed May 04, 2016 10:57 am

Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: The new Ryan Hall

Postby La » Wed May 04, 2016 11:05 am

He looks great. :)

ETA: as long as he's happy with how he looks, that's all that matters.
Last edited by La on Wed May 04, 2016 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Wed May 04, 2016 11:27 am

AHHH he looks amazing!!! :shifty: :shifty: :shifty:
IMC 2015

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed May 04, 2016 12:27 pm

I liked the runner Ryan Hall better. :(
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed May 04, 2016 12:50 pm

sploosh
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed May 04, 2016 2:00 pm

:X!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Wed May 04, 2016 2:28 pm

This is a silly question, but like how dose he pay the bills these days. Not a pro runner, does he have a job?

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed May 04, 2016 2:41 pm

Annelizabeth wrote:This is a silly question, but like how dose he pay the bills these days. Not a pro runner, does he have a job?

Sara is still a pro runner and has sponsors. He is coaching her. I'm not sure what else he has going....
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed May 04, 2016 2:54 pm

I can't help but wonder...

He quit professional running because he couldn't train hard enough because of chronically low testosterone. Then in four months he makes these pretty dramatic body transformations? Is that normal to happen so quickly? I would hope that all he's taking is medically approved hormonal treatments and nothing else.

Perhaps he's working on getting sponsorship/endorsements from one of the supplement companies.

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Wed May 04, 2016 2:59 pm

Jwolf wrote:I can't help but wonder...

He quit professional running because he couldn't train hard because of chronically low testosterone. Then in four months he makes these pretty dramatic body transformations? Is that normal to happen so quickly? I would hope that all he's taking is medically approved hormonal treatments and nothing else.

i thought that was odd, too. especially because in the NYT article about his retirement, he said he didn't want to take testosterone supplements because of the possible side effects, and that natural changes like diet and weight lifting hadn't helped his strength. so what changed to allow him to bulk up like that? is it just because he's no longer stressing his body with all those miles?

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Wed May 04, 2016 3:26 pm

He might well be taking some medications or supplements that would not have been allowable as a competitive runner. If so, that's hardly a moral failing or a health hazard. Having done something similar a long time ago, I can attest that it is possible to gain 30-40 pounds of muscle/fat over the course of several months through weightlifting and a change in diet.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed May 04, 2016 3:29 pm

ian wrote:He might well be taking some medications or supplements that would not have been allowable as a competitive runner. If so, that's hardly a moral failing or a health hazard. Having done something similar a long time ago, I can attest that it is possible to gain 30-40 pounds of muscle/fat over the course of several months through weightlifting and a change in diet.

Thanks. I wasn't aware that building muscle could happen that quickly.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed May 04, 2016 4:27 pm

ultraslacker wrote::X!

+1
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Wed May 04, 2016 10:49 pm

ian wrote:He might well be taking some medications or supplements that would not have been allowable as a competitive runner. If so, that's hardly a moral failing or a health hazard. Having done something similar a long time ago, I can attest that it is possible to gain 30-40 pounds of muscle/fat over the course of several months through weightlifting and a change in diet.

Having lost close to 40 pounds and around 10% body fat, the right combination of diet and weight training can work "miracles" in mere months. That lean "cut" look is good genes. I have been able to add muscle mass and fairly quickly but my issue is that I look like a Bulgarian weight lifter and not a toned Greek god.

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Wed May 04, 2016 10:54 pm

Yep - I went from 185lbs to 248lbs through one off-season when I got serious about football. Most of it was muscle, some of it was fat. I lifted 5-6 days a week and ate like a horse.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Wed May 04, 2016 11:06 pm

i'm not surprised that someone could gain that much muscle, but i am surprised that someone with chronically low testosterone levels could gain that quickly. the january 2016 article said, "Supplemental testosterone is a banned substance, but Hall would be eligible for a medical waiver if he wanted to try to boost his levels. He said he had decided against that because of potential side effects (including dependency and infertility) and ethical concerns (some athletes use testosterone illicitly as a performance-enhancing drug). Natural remedies like the altering of his diet and lifting weights have not restored his strength, he said."

so what's missing from the article, for me, is what's changed. did he change his mind about supplemental testosterone? or did his testosterone level increase when he reduced his training? i'm not suggesting anything nefarious, just curious about how he's accomplished that given that he wasn't starting from a normal, healthy point. the write-up sounds like he just switched his focus from running to lifting and his diet from carbs to protein, but those "natural remedies" didn't help before, so how is he making such gains now?

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Thu May 05, 2016 12:44 am

Everyone seems to be assuming that his T level was actually low in the first place.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu May 05, 2016 7:53 am

Mark.AU wrote:Everyone seems to be assuming that his T level was actually low in the first place.

We aren't assuming- In the articles reporting his retirement, he and his wife talked about this.

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Thu May 05, 2016 7:54 am

deerdree wrote:so what's missing from the article, for me, is what's changed. did he change his mind about supplemental testosterone? or did his testosterone level increase when he reduced his training? i'm not suggesting anything nefarious, just curious about how he's accomplished that given that he wasn't starting from a normal, healthy point. the write-up sounds like he just switched his focus from running to lifting and his diet from carbs to protein, but those "natural remedies" didn't help before, so how is he making such gains now?

I'm sure a lot of it is just the body's natural inclination to return to a "normal" state. He looks great and healthy, but I mean I still wouldn't ask him to pull a plane down the tarmac or even help me move a couch. He looks (and weighs) like the small end of normal for someone his height. Going from emaciated to normal doesn't raise any eyebrows or suspicion in my mind. The use of the word "bodybuilding" in the article seems like a stretch. He looks like a normal, healthy dude.

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Thu May 05, 2016 8:02 am

Jwolf wrote:
Mark.AU wrote:Everyone seems to be assuming that his T level was actually low in the first place.

We aren't assuming- In the articles reporting his retirement, he and his wife talked about this.

Just because he talked about it doesn't make it true.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu May 05, 2016 9:19 am

And bulking up wouldn't have been helpful to his running. I don't know that I would experiment with hormone supplementation while I was still a competitive athlete.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu May 05, 2016 10:49 am

Its nice to see that everyone's optimism about the ... cleanliness ... of a guy who puts on a huge amount of muscle in a short period of time hasn't been damaged in any way by repeated doping scandals. Its touching.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Thu May 05, 2016 11:09 am

dgrant wrote:
deerdree wrote:so what's missing from the article, for me, is what's changed. did he change his mind about supplemental testosterone? or did his testosterone level increase when he reduced his training? i'm not suggesting anything nefarious, just curious about how he's accomplished that given that he wasn't starting from a normal, healthy point. the write-up sounds like he just switched his focus from running to lifting and his diet from carbs to protein, but those "natural remedies" didn't help before, so how is he making such gains now?

I'm sure a lot of it is just the body's natural inclination to return to a "normal" state. He looks great and healthy, but I mean I still wouldn't ask him to pull a plane down the tarmac or even help me move a couch. He looks (and weighs) like the small end of normal for someone his height. Going from emaciated to normal doesn't raise any eyebrows or suspicion in my mind. The use of the word "bodybuilding" in the article seems like a stretch. He looks like a normal, healthy dude.

Observational bias at play here.

If you were to show his before and after photos to the average person without any background and they might conclude he had been sickly before and how back into the normal range. Show the before and after to a group of body builders and they would likely conclude he was the 90 pound weakling and is now at a good foundation to put on some real muscle.

I agree that in my own personal view he looked emaciated and for most of my late teens and early 20s, I could never get over 150 pounds and so I also shared his desire not be look and feel like such a weakling. Ironic now that I have had to fight like hell to lose the extra pounds. Although this time, it was not that I did not like the way that I looked or frankly how I felt but I was clearly unhealthy and so that made the decision very easy.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Thu May 05, 2016 11:30 am

With my measly 2-3 hours/week of strength and not adding in tons of protein rich food, I can see muscles that I didn't know were there. I don't think it's so far fetched that someone who is dedicated and puts in hours of training each day could realistically make a transformation in that short time frame. But I'm not a doctor, so what do I know?
I like the new look. :X!
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu May 05, 2016 12:13 pm

turd ferguson wrote:Its nice to see that everyone's optimism about the ... cleanliness ... of a guy who puts on a huge amount of muscle in a short period of time hasn't been damaged in any way by repeated doping scandals. Its touching.

he's hot so we trust him.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Return to “General Running Discussion”