How Millennials Ended the Running Boom

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

How Millennials Ended the Running Boom

Postby turd ferguson » Fri May 06, 2016 12:13 pm

Even if you don't agree that millennials are wrecking everything we built, the stats are interesting.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-millenn ... 1462473195
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

ian
Jerome Drayton

Re: How Millennials Ended the Running Boom

Postby ian » Fri May 06, 2016 12:57 pm

My first reading of the title ended with "Room", which would have been an intriguing article.

For the first few paragraphs, I was skeptical that one data point was enough to signal the end of an era, but later on my main hypothesis was addressed: races are friggin' expensive and it stands to reason that young'uns are going to be most sensitive to these hyperinflationary increases.

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Fri May 06, 2016 1:15 pm

For the first few paragraphs, I was skeptical that one data point was enough to signal the end of an era, but later on my main hypothesis was addressed: races are friggin' expensive and it stands to reason that young'uns are going to be most sensitive to these hyperinflationary increases.

However if you look at the cost of running events ie. tough mudder, colour run I find them priced out of reach.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri May 06, 2016 1:21 pm

Annelizabeth wrote:

However if you look at the cost of running events ie. tough mudder, colour run I find them priced out of reach.

I think events like that would provide greater value for money, though. Why run a regular 5K when all you get is a t-shirt and a medal (maybe), when you can be blasted with dye, jump over obstacles, or run through mud or foam?
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Fri May 06, 2016 2:42 pm

Perhaps I am too old- ie. not a millennial but a Gen xer but I see no appeal to those events at all.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Fri May 06, 2016 2:54 pm

Ha! The 1%-ers, (55-64) are hanging in there. Solid IMO. :D
The 65+ went up!
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Fri May 06, 2016 6:16 pm

ian wrote:My first reading of the title ended with "Room", which would have been an intriguing article.

The same sort of stats are reflected in golf.

Price is one issue but go to a golf course and you see the 40 and 50 year old walking and the 20 somethings in a cart that adds to the price. So my guess is a factor but not a key or driving force.

Golf is "hard" and in a different way, so is running a race.

Golf requires a lot of range time and running requires time on your feet.

But the biggest thing may be time. Golf and the average marathon are in the 4 - 4.5 hour range. Plus warm up time and post round/ race time. On the other hand, you can go to a "studio" and sweat buckets for 30 - 45 minutes a couple of times a week. And for those who are competitive, I had someone tell me about a "spin class" where there is a monitor/ screen at the front of the class. Calories, speed, distance of all of the attendees are shown and they can be age and gender adjusted.

Add in the need for instant gratification and go to studio or class and feel like you are doing great after just a few weeks. To run a marathon or to have a decent golf handicap requires years of effort and months of training.

On a somewhat related note, I read that many diets now need to show almost instant results. The old and conventional wisdom was slow and steady. A study I read suggested that one needs to see significant weight loss within days or weeks, otherwise people will quickly abandon that diet. In the old days, you were out of the office, you might have a phone message or two. Someone might just write a letter and send it by post. Now, text messages, emails are to be answered during breaks in the meeting and people are offended if they are not.

Older individuals appreciate the reward of getting a "result" over a longer and maybe even tough process.

Return to “General Running Discussion”