Stampie's 2nd shot at BMO Vancouver

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Stampie's 2nd shot at BMO Vancouver

Postby Stampie » Tue May 10, 2016 2:13 am

Sorry for the tardiness of this report. Like I said in my journal, I really wanted to let everything sink in before I composed my thoughts, then life, work and family took priority. I'll try to just expand on what I said on Facebook the evening that I did the race.

Just a recap, here is what I posted on FB and in my journal.

I decided back in September last year that I wanted to take another stab at a marathon. My last was the Bellingham Bay Marathon in Sept'2013. That race took a lot out of me, both physically and mentally. It took me some time to really recover from Bellingham, so my desire to attempt another marathon was not a high priority. Fast forward to September last fall. A few clinic members indicated they were interested in doing a marathon and asked me if there was ever a clinic or if Fit First would do one. I then approached the owner and pitched my sale. At the very same time I knew the run study was likely going to happen, so I knew I had a chance to join that study while helping to lead a marathon clinic.

My training for the BMO went better than expected, but that has to be attributed to the schedule my coach provided me and my dedication to stick with the plan! My goal right from the start was to return to my 2013 fitness levels from the winter/spring and hopefully get a 4:10-45 marathon. As training progressed, so did my fitness. As a result I really started to re-evaluate my goal. I had a real positive result at the first half and nailed by goal time. Now I could have gone faster, but I stuck to the plan. The a month prior to race day I did the 30K at Birch Bay as a tune-up to BMO. I had, as how I feel, a spectacular race and came in closer to my marathon pace goal. I felt strong and confident I could do a 4hr marathon, as I still had room in the tank at the end.

Race day came and it was a beautiful day. Leading up to the race I felt loose and good. I really had no anxiety and was ready to tackle the race. I meet up with some clinic folks, some of the study folks and other friends at the pre-race compound.10min before the gun i worked my way to my coral and found the pace bunnies. The race went off without a hitch and I crossed the line less than 2min after the gun went. I was staying on pace and keeping the 4hr bunny within my sight. In no time I hit Camosun Street and that damn hill. I hit our first timing mat at 8.5K and the start of the hill challenge. I pushed up Camosun and deep down hoped that CMMH would make an appearance like last time. The crowds were great and gave me much needed energy to get up. I hit the top and the second mat at 10K, to end the hill challenge maybe a little too fast as the Sportstats splits would indicate. That 1.5K spilt took me 7:17; so yeah I went a little too fact. But I knew that as i started to recovery and took it easy.

We went thru UBC and down to Spanish Bank. As we descended down to Spanish Banks all I could hear was my coach saying hold back on the hill, and that is what I did. The next thing I knew, I hit halfway at about 1:59:xx, so I was well on pace. I felt great and was ready to tackle the 2nd half. I knew I the small hill to climb with in 2km,so I took it easy and let it come. Next thing I new I was don that and on 4th Avenue. 24K had come fast, but I was still on pace and feeling good. I went thru Point Grey and then Kits, the crowds were awesome and very welcoming. The next thing I knew the Burrard Street Bridge was upon me. This was my last climb of any major significance. I kept saying to myself, this is 600m to recovery and the final stretch. As I descended down the Bridge I saw my last BMO training partner, race buddy and friend from 2012 cheering at the foot of the bridge, her sister was 15min behind me in the race. We exchanged high five's and I was off.

I was still feeling good at 30K, but I felt my pace was starting to slow. The heat was starting to catchup up to me and knew I could not sustain the pace much longer, so I made the decision to scale back and finish of with an easy fade and try for a 4:10, my original goal. Next thing I knew, I was at Second Beach and I had just shy of 10K to go. As I approached Third Beach in Stanley Park, my stomach cramps started. It was not the gels, as I race with GU all the time. I was in desperate need for a washroom, but there was nothing until Lumberman’s Arch, which was a good 4K away. So I pushed on, doing a combo power walking and running. The cramps & stitch would intensify as I ran and tried to pick up speed. I hit Lumberman’s and sought out the toilet in hopes of some sort of relief. That was not the case. I thought I was dehydrated, but I was still sweating and did not feel the symptoms. By the time I hit Brockton Point I was less than 5K and was starting to feel better. I pushed on and the next thing I knew saw the most welcoming sign, 1km more to the finish!!!

I pushed up Denman, ok partly walked! ;) But once I hit Georgia I was hell bent and determined to finish running. I saw Jwolf and was in a completed daze. I heard her say I looked strong, though I don't think she heard me say I was hurting. Just before I turned on to Pender and the last 500m I saw an old TNT friend who ran with me for a bit. I could see the finish and and the clock. I could here Steve King calling runners in and I was even more determined to match my previous BMO time and keep that 4:30 Bunny behind me. I crossed the line and I saw my friend Rainy and her husband at the finish. She took my pictures and gave me a much needed hug. Best of all, she present me with my medal. She's involved with elite hosting and has 'all access' passes. Shortly after a training friend finished behind me. I saw Sandra as I passed her at second beach,she was hurting. For her to finish was a feat in itself!

I started getting texts from everyone, my DW, Turd, Jwolf, CMMH and friends. Priority one was to meet my a friend at the pub, as I was not going to say no to a celebratory beer and a personal fav as well.

As I said in my FB post, I have no regrets. I would certainly do a few things over though. First, I should not have put much emphasis on a 4hr marathon; especially given the heat at the start. I should have likely paced myself a little slower at the start, but that is something I'm realizing now. Finally, I can't be fully disappointed, I gave it my shot and in the end I could not handle the curve ball I was dealt. It was beyond my control! I was happy with my pacing and effort up to 32K, so I can't complain. There are far too many positive than any negatives from this race. I've learned best practices and will implement them in my next marathon. Yes you are reading that right, I will do another. More than likely I will do BMO again next year.

Me just after I finished

Minutes later, Sandra crossed the finish line

The rewards! My medal and one of my favorite beers
Last edited by Stampie on Tue May 10, 2016 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Re: Stampie's 2nd shot at BMO Vancouver, marathon #3

Postby Stampie » Tue May 10, 2016 2:21 am

Once again, It's late and there will most likely be typos, but that is the joy of my RR. 8) :lol:

And, yes I changed my title slightly.
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Re: Stampie's 2nd shot at BMO Vancouver

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue May 10, 2016 6:12 am

congratulations - both on your race, and on leading your clinic participants to their own successes!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue May 10, 2016 6:55 am

Good job Stampie. Thanks for a nice report.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Tue May 10, 2016 7:06 am

Congratulations, Stampie! Well done. Nice report as well!

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue May 10, 2016 8:06 am

Very happy that you could lead a clinic and help your fellow runners. Good report, and so glad that you can look back and have no regrets. Learn from it, and bring that knowledge to your next marathon. It was fun tracking you and the others that morning.
Congratulations on finishing another marathon, and it's so great you are already thinking of another.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Tue May 10, 2016 8:40 pm

Great effort Bryan, huge congrats on completing marathon #3. Sorry that I couldn't be at Camosun, I was cheering loudly from Port Moody!
Very glad to read that you will do another! Most excellent :D
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu May 12, 2016 7:28 am

Congrats to you!! It's so hard to race when you have those kinds of stomach issues going on that 's for sure. Way to get it done.

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Thu May 12, 2016 9:26 am

Sorry about the GI issues. But you had a fantastic training cycle and but you never know what will happen on race day. Next time.
IMC 2015

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Thu May 12, 2016 11:28 am

Thanks everyone for your kind words!

Kendra, I think you pretty much summarized my RR and how I felt, you never know what will happen on race day, even if you've had a great training cycle.

Rest assured, there will be a next time!

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Thu May 12, 2016 1:22 pm

Thanks for the great report! Sorry about the gut :( I look forward to following along on your next journey! :D

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu May 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Congratulations again on finishing #3. :)

I'm glad I got to see you near the end.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Postby grimskot » Sat May 14, 2016 8:04 pm

Congrats again on finishing marathon #3. Onwards to #4! :)
Plan for 2016:
Jun 25: St. Malo Triathlon - Sprint - done
Jul 16: Morden Triathlon - Sprint - done

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Sun May 15, 2016 8:28 pm

Congrats, Stampie! Another marathon under your belt and I have no doubt that a great race (no glitches) will get you to your goal time. :)
Carm

Return to “Run/Race Reports”