Lower back pain

The grisly details and tales of the road back

MrBond
Bill Crothers

Lower back pain

Postby MrBond » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:21 am

Went to take out the garbage, and tweak - that was it.
Its been a week now, with very slow progress.
I was told it might be because of tight hip flexors, likely from too much cycling and not enough running ?
Any tips as to what I can do right now to help this - stretching, whatever ?
Thanks in advance. :roll:
"You're in over your head Donny..."

eme
Lynn Williams

Re: Lower back pain

Postby eme » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:03 am

Mine is due to my pelvis being off. Tight hip flexors is a part of it. I found a good physio who does ART and it has helped a lot.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:42 pm

I agree, go to a good sports physio. Chiro is a "passive" treatment as is massage. I always have reservations about any treatment that is for a life time whereas the goal of physio is to discharge you. They may want to send you to your GP just to confirm nothing structural. As a side note, my reservations about chiro were not eased when I went to one where I was literally bruised by the technique. It got me moving so I did not complain too much. But then I came across a medical report where a chiro managed to turn standard low back pain into a damaged disc. What bothered me more was for $70, I got 45 - 60 minutes for the first three sessions and had temporary relief. Then on the 4th visit, 15 minutes and the same $70. Went to the GP, sports physio and after a couple of weeks and a list of some very good exercises, was even able to deal with a flare up on my own.

I have had back pain for close to 30 years and it will flare up to varying degrees once every year or so. So I could refer you to websites, books, etc, etc but in my experience, best to go to a professional who can deal with your specific issues. I would try and take an anti-inflammatory as well as that is an essential tool in my fight against back pain.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:46 am

+1 for physio.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:20 am

A small tweak from a strain like that is sometimes when your back muscles spasm to protect your spine. But it possibly could be connected to those other things too. Without knowing exactly what it is it's hard to recommend stretches, foam rolling, etc. Sometimes you just need rest/time, but a good chiro or physio should be able to help you.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:28 am

The PT I saw this weekend says (and much of the recent thinking on the topic supports this) to stay as active as possible. Rest isn't your friend with back pain, even though it seems counter-intuitive. Adapt your activities, but stay as active as possible to regain mobility.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

nancytaylor

Postby nancytaylor » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:18 am

I am in the same situation, picked up the mattress the other day and since than I have this lower back pain, I can't bend, did some massage and used heating pad but no use, not sure if it is something with the bone or veins.

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”