What's a few seconds worth to you?

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

What's a few seconds worth to you?

Postby jonovision_man » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:14 pm

$500? $1000? :)

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/08/ ... kes_339880

I remember upgrading from my Trek 1200 aluminum to my Cervelo S2... I was pretty disappointed at how much faster I wasn't. The bike feels better, but that's probably got more to do with the components and frame quality than anything to do with weight. Maybe a couple tenths of a km/h faster over a long ride?

... which is important if you're a pro, or fighting for podiums, or at risk of being dropped at the top of every climb by thisssss much. But for most of us?

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

ian
Jerome Drayton

Re: What's a few seconds worth to you?

Postby ian » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:12 pm

Hmmm... I see a few seconds over a one-mile hill as a 1-2% effect, which in a running context, is comparable to 3-5 minutes in a marathon. If a pair of shoes could promise me that, I'd look into it further. I get the sense that there are a lot of middle-aged triathletes for whom a really nice bike is a small expense for a better AG placing.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:32 pm

I did pay $2,500 to go from less then 25 kph and not being able to do much more then 60 K, to an average of 30 kph + and to finish a Fondo. But I would not pay anything to upgrade my current bike. At one time, I could not say that. I would pay $500 - 1,000 to get another 5 - 10 yards from my golf clubs. But as I have aged, I realized the folly of that or the curtain has been removed from my nice fantasy. That is my skill and abilities in cycling mean that I am no where near the top of my age group. Thus my only goal is to finish somewhere near the middle of the pack and enjoy the process. I am going to ride two Fondos next year, maybe three but it might be as soon as the year after that I am more then content to do a 90 K ride on my own once a year and be more then happy to do the 50 - 70 K routes close to my home. So even a couple of extra kilometers per hour would have no meaning to me. I am not likely to change my golf clubs until I need more flexible shafts. I want to test and challenge myself running but I am not willing to pay the physical price to maximize my speed or pace. Cycling has shown me that you can literally or metaphysically get off your bike, stop and take in the atmosphere at a pit spot and get back on your bike. That it does not matter whether you are 4th or last other then to you as it is a ride.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:45 am

jonovision_man wrote:$500? $1000? :)

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/08/ ... kes_339880

I remember upgrading from my Trek 1200 aluminum to my Cervelo S2... I was pretty disappointed at how much faster I wasn't. The bike feels better, but that's probably got more to do with the components and frame quality than anything to do with weight. Maybe a couple tenths of a km/h faster over a long ride?

... which is important if you're a pro, or fighting for podiums, or at risk of being dropped at the top of every climb by thisssss much. But for most of us?

Losing weight on my body has far more impact than a few grams on the bike.

I also wasn't faster when I upgraded to a carbon bike. But I chalk that up to the fact that being in aero (on my aluminum tri bike) will always be faster than being in a more upright position on my road bike, despite the weight of the bike.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:15 am

ian wrote:Hmmm... I see a few seconds over a one-mile hill as a 1-2% effect, which in a running context, is comparable to 3-5 minutes in a marathon. If a pair of shoes could promise me that, I'd look into it further. I get the sense that there are a lot of middle-aged triathletes for whom a really nice bike is a small expense for a better AG placing.

A few seconds up a hill, but nothing down it (in fact I tend to seriously outpace my less weighty friends downhill!), and marginal on flat ground. It would have to be a very hilly course for it to add up to anything all that significant. Although I do agree there are a lot of people for whom that marginal difference would be enough to justify the purchase...

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:46 am

La wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:...

Losing weight on my body has far more impact than a few grams on the bike.

I think this is the key point. The pros are already at or near their optimum weight or how much they can train and the advantage of a lighter frame is one of the few significant advantages. There's no point in a guy like me buying an significantly more expensive bike to save a few grams and then putting the same old crappy engine on it.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:34 am

The other thing with the pros is those seconds can be the difference between getting dropped or staying with the pack... which in turn could ultimately lead to minutes.

jono
Visit my blog!

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:38 pm

In giving this further thought, the marketing of lighter, quicker bikes is not really to address reality but fantasy. Who does not want to "win" a Strava segment for the month, the week or even the day? So although it is completely pointless, there are much worse ways to "waste" one's money. Or at least that is the excuse I use. :)

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:18 am

Dstew wrote:In giving this further thought, the marketing of lighter, quicker bikes is not really to address reality but fantasy. Who does not want to "win" a Strava segment for the month, the week or even the day? So although it is completely pointless, there are much worse ways to "waste" one's money. Or at least that is the excuse I use. :)

:dance:

True enough. Also the more you spend, the guiltier you feel when you aren't riding. Motivation.

jono
Visit my blog!

Shreck
Percy Williams

Postby Shreck » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:16 pm

Last edited by Shreck on Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:18 pm

^

Schrek....kudos to you on your continuous achievement. I mean from 240lbs to 170 and then 142. Good on ya, and it's no surprise that the lifestyle change is paying dividends.
On the books for 2017

Winterman 10km - (1st in age group) - Feb 19,
Chilly Half Marathon - Mar 5 (Done)
Around the bay 30k - Mar 26, (Done)
Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,
Ottawa race weekend Voyager Challenge - May 27-28,
Spring Fling Toronto - June?
World Record Kilt Run Perth - June 24
Foam Fest 5k Ottawa - Jul 22
Pure Protein Night Race - Aug 12
Army Run Vimy Challenge - Sep 17
Marathon Du P'tit Train Du Nord Quebec - Oct 22

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:19 am

How about buying a really nice [fast?] bike because it's nice to have nice things if you can afford them?

I've almost always had a lot more bike than I needed, or had engine to exploit, but it's my money and I buy good stuff.

Other people spend $1000's on collectable wine or furniture....
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

Shreck
Percy Williams

Postby Shreck » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:32 am

MrBond
Bill Crothers

Postby MrBond » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:50 am

If I want to save grams I won't have the extra bagel at breakfast.... :D
"You're in over your head Donny..."

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:27 pm

....but instead double up on the eggs or coffee. Am I right? :mrgreen:

MrBond wrote:If I want to save grams I won't have the extra bagel at breakfast.... :D
On the books for 2017

Winterman 10km - (1st in age group) - Feb 19,
Chilly Half Marathon - Mar 5 (Done)
Around the bay 30k - Mar 26, (Done)
Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,
Ottawa race weekend Voyager Challenge - May 27-28,
Spring Fling Toronto - June?
World Record Kilt Run Perth - June 24
Foam Fest 5k Ottawa - Jul 22
Pure Protein Night Race - Aug 12
Army Run Vimy Challenge - Sep 17
Marathon Du P'tit Train Du Nord Quebec - Oct 22