Hi! New here

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
wellhunt
Percy Williams

Hi! New here

Postby wellhunt » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:59 pm

Hey all! I'm new here and thought I'd say hi!
I've been running for 4 months so I'm a newb for sure lol. Not a stranger to exercise though. Have been cycling for a few years in the summer months and use my elliptical a lot. (At least before I started running).
Hope I'm posting in the right area. Not sure
Does anyone know the typical time frames I can expect improvements just from getting out and running. Like say, pace improving by a minute from running a month. It has been improving for me but I'm still pretty slow. (I started painfully so at about a 9 minute km!!...Right now I'm at about 6:20 minute per km. And I usually run 3.5-5k 4-6 days a week) I tested myself one day a couple months ago to see what pace I could keep for a 5k and I ran the first two km at 6:20 and the next three between 5:17 and 5:43.

Again I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong area. Any feedback would be great. Be nice lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Re: Hi! New here

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:48 pm

Welcome. I have no training advice. You already seem dang fast. Be careful not to hurt yourself.
But asking for advice in the area called "Training" or "The Speed Zone" would probably get more traffic.
Asking for speed advice in the Scenic Route is a bit contradictory.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

wellhunt
Percy Williams

Postby wellhunt » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:16 pm

Thanks for your reply!
I will try posting in the areas you suggested. Thanks for helping me out.
I really have no clue as to my speed etc. I started running by myself and still do. I live in the country and mostly run on my back road solo. I've been careful about not running too fast. I don't push myself too hard because I'm scared of injury.
I guess I see myself as a slow casual runner. Never asked anyone else who runs if that's true.
Thanks again!

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:17 am

No adice but I wanted to say welcome :D

wellhunt
Percy Williams

Postby wellhunt » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:36 pm

Thanks

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:55 pm

Hi, welcome!

I echo what Spirit said - be careful about not doing too much too soon and injuring yourself.
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

wellhunt
Percy Williams

Postby wellhunt » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:52 pm

Thank you.
For sure I don't want to injure myself.
I feel a little in shock from people saying it may be too fast too soon lol... because honestly I didn't think I was going all that fast too soon. But I also haven't talked to any other runner about my running except one friend who said I was fast but I didn't believe her. Really I'm not fishing for compliments.... I'm surprised.
I am new to running but not new to exercise. This past summer I spent a couple times a week cycling with my husband- say 20-60 km a week. Also a lot of time on my elliptical. Since the snow I have been Nordic skiing out my front door a few times a week(literally). And when I started running I added in yoga and strengthening exercises mainly because I was afraid of injuring myself running.
So with a bit of back story do you think that I am still in trouble for injury? I'm asking seriously because I really do not want to hurt myself and not be able to go out on a run.
I recently bought a pair of ice bug shoes (they are made in Sweden for trail running with ice and snow etc) and they have been awesome for my back road ventures (couldn't run without them out here).
Anyway looking for honest feedback ... and sorry for blabbering on

jsimms435

Re: RE: Hi! New here

Postby jsimms435 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:46 pm

wellhunt wrote:Hey all! I'm new here and thought I'd say hi!
I've been running for 4 months so I'm a newb for sure lol. Not a stranger to exercise though. Have been cycling for a few years in the summer months and use my elliptical a lot. (At least before I started running).
Hope I'm posting in the right area. Not sure
Does anyone know the typical time frames I can expect improvements just from getting out and running. Like say, pace improving by a minute from running a month. It has been improving for me but I'm still pretty slow. (I started painfully so at about a 9 minute km!!...Right now I'm at about 6:20 minute per km. And I usually run 3.5-5k 4-6 days a week) I tested myself one day a couple months ago to see what pace I could keep for a 5k and I ran the first two km at 6:20 and the next three between 5:17 and 5:43.

Again I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong area. Any feedback would be great. Be nice lol.

That's really goods times. I've been running since late September 2017 and am nowhere near that

Sent from my H710VL using Tapatalk

beegner
Percy Williams

Postby beegner » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:13 pm

Welcome... enjoy.

Return to “The Scenic Route”