New shoes & Shin Spints

The grisly details and tales of the road back

Zip1971

New shoes & Shin Spints

Postby Zip1971 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:48 am

A few years ago I bought a pair of Saucony grid dynasty 2, they were amazing,
felt like I was running on a cloud. I stopped working out for a while, started back up
in November, working out 5 days a week, usually 45 to 55 minutes on the treadmill.
On Monday, I did 45 minutes but the last 10 to 15 minutes I was experiencing shin splints.
Tuesday I could only do 15 minutes, pain was pretty bad. After some reading I thought maybe it was time for new shoes.
Wednesday I bought 2 pairs (they had a deal) 1st pair Saucony Jazz 2, 2nd pair Saucony Oasis 2.
Thursday I tried Jazz 2, they felt decent on my feet, but after 15 minutes I had to stop because of shin
pain and knee pain. I put on the Oasis, did 30 minutes, while they didn't feel like
I was running on a cloud, I didn't experience shin pain, I did have an irritation on the
bottom of my right foot, felt like a blister starting. This morning, I noticed
what look like a bruise on the bottom of my right foot. Put on the Oasis and jumped on the
treadmill, could only get 15 minutes done and the shin pain started.

Really frustrated! I started working out for weight loss but now its become more than that.
I really like how I feel when I'm done and the energy it gives me for the rest of the day.

I wrote Saucony a couple days before I went shopping, because I was hoping to find a
replacement for the Dynasty 2 or where I could buy them. I can't find them online.
Saucony said re: Dynasty 2 "it is a neutral style designed for someone with a high arch
that doesn't need guidance or support, like our grid cohesion."

I was hoping runners with more experience would have some helpful tips or maybe someone
has experienced the same thing. I'm not against switching brands and I could careless
what my shoes look like, I just want that "running on a cloud" feeling back!!
I will be taking the shoes back. Maybe someone has a suggestion for a brand/model to try?

Thanks for reading and any tips someone can provide. I wasn't sure where to post this, if its in the wrong spot, I apologize .

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Re: New shoes & Shin Spints

Postby purdy65 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:29 pm

Ok. I do believe you are using older model sauconays. Where did you purchase the Oasis? This are quite heavy clunky ones, but they do have lots of cushioning. Want a neutral cushioning shoe that is a bit lighter? Try the Freedom ISO. A little more stability? Try the Hurricanes.

Whatever you do visit a running store and get properly fitted. Try on lots of different brands and models. Comfort is key.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:36 pm

First, welcome to Running Mania! You did indeed post in the correct place.

If I understand your post above, you returned to running this past November, but the shin pain just began recently? Have you changed anything in your workout routine recently (besides the shoes)? Shin splints sometimes result from too much/too fast/too soon increases or changes in running. For instance, have you changed the incline on the treadmill recently?

If you've got a nasty case of shin splints already underway, I would expect that even the perfect pair of shoes would not instantly correct the problem.

Can you return the shoes to the store, since you only wore them on the treadmill for a few minutes? Sounds like at least one of those pairs aren't going to be right for you.

I'm sorry I seem to be asking more questions than I'm answering...I just wanted to welcome you and get a little more information from you to clarify the problem. Others may chime in with more information.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Zip1971

Postby Zip1971 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:20 am

Thank you for the replies and the welcome.

I bought my shoes at Cleves, I thought maybe they would have the Dynasty 2 since its where I bought them a couple years ago.

When I first started since it was for weight loss I thought it was best to do walking/running. My speed at first was pretty slow, walking at 3.5 mph and running around 5 to 5.5 mph doing this for about 30 minutes. 30 minutes wasn't doing much to change my energy so after about a week, I started doing 45 minutes and my walk speed changed to 4 mph. I would play around with my run speed. I'm never really consistent with my walk/run times. For the first 10 weeks or so I was trying to beat my minutes per mile and by this time my run speed was usually around 6.5 to 7.5 mph. For the most part I was usually walking 1.5 minute and running 30 to 45 seconds. Sometimes I would try for a bit longer. The changing of speed is something that has stuck with me, seems to make the time go by faster.

Mid January I thought I would play with the incline, usually 40% incline, still walking/running, run speed was never above 6.5 with the incline.

Last week in March I decided to not focus on the calories burned (it wasn't making a difference in my weight loss using the incline) I found myself not running as often when I used an incline. I wanted to focus more on my mile time, which meant running more often at faster speeds, so once in awhile I would run at 8 mph. Sometimes I would run more than 45 seconds, it was always based on my breathing because my legs rarely hurt. My legs never gave me problems, it was always my breathing.

My goal for now would be to run more often. I thought I would try my old shoes today run slower with no incline to see how it goes. My legs feel fine, no soreness.

I can take the shoes back, they have a 30 day return policy. I will try a couple more pairs and if they do not work, I will look for a shoe store who can fit me properly.

As a weird side note, I did notice over the last couple of weeks, my treadmill has been moving away from the wall. My husband has moved it back a couple of times. While on the treadmill I do not notice it moving, but we can clearly see how far it has moved....

Zip1971

Postby Zip1971 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:50 am

Avis, I think you nailed it!

Just finished 40 minutes with my old shoes.
No incline
2 minutes at 3.5 mph
2 minutes at 4 mph
6.5 minutes at 5 mph (like I said previously, I rarely did more than a minute at a faster pace)
2 minutes at 4 mph
7 minutes at 5.5 mph
After that I just on and off walked/jogged never going above 5.5 mph

No shin pain, little bit of pain in my calf muscles but nothing I would complain about. Or is it something I should be concerned about? As I'm typing/editing this post the pain is pretty much gone from my calf.

I think I will stay at this speed and see if I can jog for a longer time. I'm pretty happy I was able to jog for 7 minutes. I will do some reading today to improve my breathing.

Thank you!!!

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:27 am

Glad you found some relief. Hills/inclines can be really hard on your shins and calves. Once the pain has settled down completely, it will be a good time to continue your quest for comfy shoes. (I'm about to go shoe shopping myself. :) ) Happy running, and congrats on the weight loss.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”