Banff Trail Running - any suggestions?

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Banff Trail Running - any suggestions?

Postby jonovision_man » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:39 am

Going to be in Banff in a few weeks, anyone do any trail running and have suggestions? Looking to maximize the opportunity, so 20-25km would hit the spot....

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Re: Banff Trail Running - any suggestions?

Postby jonovision_man » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:11 am

Hmm found this... seems like a good starting point. :)

https://www.banfflakelouise.com/blog/7- ... ional-park
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:42 am

This sulphur mountain loop looks really good...
https://www.strava.com/activities/952189729

I'll probably hit that. :dance:

jono
Visit my blog!

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:28 pm

Either bring or buy bear spray. Very, very active bears again this year. This may pose a bit of a problem for at one time, my dad and I would hike the Larch valley twice a year. I cannot remember when but some time ago, because of a couple of bear attacks, they put in a rule that you need to be in a party of six.

See attached:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/mtn/ours-b ... update-byk

Issued 2017-07-16 (YYYY-MM-DD)

Time 11:34:12

Berry bushes border trails, roads and campgrounds. Black and grizzly bears are feeding on berries right now.
It is easy to surprise a bear that is focused on feeding. To reduce your risk:
• Make noise while on trails.
• Travel in tight groups.
• Trail running and cycling place you at much higher risk. Travel very slowly. Do not wear earbuds.
• Carry bear spray, ensure it is accessible, and know how to use it.
• Watch for fresh bear signs such as scat. Be especially careful near berry patches.
• If you see a bear, stay calm, back away slowly and leave the area. Never run.

Always meant to do Sulpher Mountain but never did. Really more of a hike then run but quick hike with the reward of great views.

Love Fairview Mountain - about 45 minute drive. Again, more of a hike in my opinion.

Closer to Banff and where the 5 Peaks Trail running series is held is the Canmore Nordic Center. Rundle's Revenge is also held there as is the Grizzly 50 K. http://www.albertaparks.ca/parks/kanana ... ctivities/ Tons off options and trails but if you go to the race sites, you can find combinations from 7 - 25 K or so.

Endless number of trails. The only problem is that my guess is 90+% of the users when there is not a trail race are mountain bikers. Now if you wanted to ride, you can rent a bike on site. http://trailsports.ab.ca/

Have not made it out there to mountain bike as my total focus is on road cycling - have a 152 K ride in about 40 days and then two weeks after that, a 160 K ride. My mountain bike skills range from barely adequate to they suck so I am not ready nor have to time to get to the mountains this year.

Canmore is close and has some more options for you.

https://canmore.ca/recreation-facility/trails

Under no circumstances wear bear bells - only attracts them. Instead, yell out Hey Bear, Oh Bear as most know about humans and will attempt to avoid contact.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:05 am

I mountain biked in Canmore a few years ago - it was really awesome, took some pics, blogged:
http://www.marshmallowman2ironman.com/2 ... entre.html

I didn't fully appreciate the bear risk at the time so foolishly took a pass on the bear spray... $5 to rent, really a no-brainer.

jono
Visit my blog!

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:53 am

Sulfur Mtn is more of a hike rather than a run from what I recall. It is doable as a run, but I would suggested arriving early as it can get rather crowed & busy on the trail. There were some good trails to mtn bike on that were off the access road to the Banff Springs Hotel Golf Course and they would certainly be great for trail running as well. They follow the Bow River. I'm sure Turd would be able to further expand on this, as it has been a while since I was there in the summer. I do recall we could not do the trail that goes to Canmore due to high grizzly activity past a certain point.

There are also some good trails to run here on the west coast. If you are ever in Vancouver, I'm happy to hook-up and show you the beauty of Super Natural BC.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:33 pm

Stampie wrote:Sulfur Mtn is more of a hike rather than a run from what I recall. It is doable as a run, but I would suggested arriving early as it can get rather crowed & busy on the trail. There were some good trails to mtn bike on that were off the access road to the Banff Springs Hotel Golf Course and they would certainly be great for trail running as well. They follow the Bow River. I'm sure Turd would be able to further expand on this, as it has been a while since I was there in the summer. I do recall we could not do the trail that goes to Canmore due to high grizzly activity past a certain point.

There are also some good trails to run here on the west coast. If you are ever in Vancouver, I'm happy to hook-up and show you the beauty of Super Natural BC.

That is the Goat Creek Trial and there are some Grizzly Bears in the area. Famous Bear 148. As a side note, they are finally starting to remove some of the berry bushes closer to the town of Banff and Canmore on the more popular trails. I do not mean to alarm as there is even a very famous bear near West Bragg Creek. He is known as Cinnamon and has a reputation for as one person noted, being a dick. That is at times will decide he does not want to leave the trail and wonder off into the woods and instead will force mountain bikers to take a different route.

I also have to say ignorance was bliss. I would be hiking through these areas, sometimes by myself and as quiet as a mouse. No bear spray or bear banger, etc. Had no idea about bears or bear safety other then do run or climb a tree. Play dead and if it is a black bear fight back, a Grizzly cover your head and hope for the best.

https://www.hikebiketravel.com/48340/bi ... s-country/

A neat trail I am going to mountain bike next year but from my understanding, quite runnable. The nice thing about that is it is starting to be well traveled - got a lot of press around here so a little safer.

One more fun twist is that there is a fairly major fire west of Banff - no threat to the town but when the winds blow the right way, very nasty smoke. The smoke tends to be worse later in the day.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:37 pm

Stampie wrote:Sulfur Mtn is more of a hike rather than a run from what I recall. It is doable as a run, but I would suggested arriving early as it can get rather crowed & busy on the trail. There were some good trails to mtn bike on that were off the access road to the Banff Springs Hotel Golf Course and they would certainly be great for trail running as well. They follow the Bow River. I'm sure Turd would be able to further expand on this, as it has been a while since I was there in the summer. I do recall we could not do the trail that goes to Canmore due to high grizzly activity past a certain point.

Someday I guess I'll have to take my kids out to BC... family is in Alberta so we don't tend to get any further than that! :)

jono
Visit my blog!

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:51 pm

I did the Sulphur Mountain loop.

It was tough. I ran maaaaybe 15% of it on the way up, rest was a fast hiking pace. The way down killed my quads, couldn't believe how hard that was actually!

But it was beautiful and cool. Oh and by cool I mean literally cool - there was ice on the walkways at the top! Brrr! ;) Wasn't expecting that in August, but such is elevation I guess. :)

18km loop in the end, parked near Banff Springs, ran by Cave & Basin. It was all just very awesome.

jono
Visit my blog!

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:43 am

jonovision_man wrote:I did the Sulphur Mountain loop.

It was tough. I ran maaaaybe 15% of it on the way up, rest was a fast hiking pace. The way down killed my quads, couldn't believe how hard that was actually!

But it was beautiful and cool. Oh and by cool I mean literally cool - there was ice on the walkways at the top! Brrr! ;) Wasn't expecting that in August, but such is elevation I guess. :)

18km loop in the end, parked near Banff Springs, ran by Cave & Basin. It was all just very awesome.

jono

So glad you enjoyed a small part of our great Province.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:16 pm

Habs4ever wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:I did the Sulphur Mountain loop.

jono

So glad you enjoyed a small part of our great Province.

Thanks! :)

(I still consider it my great province as I grew up there :lol: but wasn't a runner so only ever skied Banff, never hiked/ran/biked it)

jono
Visit my blog!

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”