Tapering and cross training

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Lisa0971

Tapering and cross training

Postby Lisa0971 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:29 pm

I have a question around tapering and cross training. I am starting to taper for my marathon and typically I do the elliptical for 45 minutes on the days I don’t run as well as a little strength training. Should I be reducing the amount of time I do on the elliptical or should I stop doing this while I taper. I am gradually going to reduce my weekly mileage, but not sure how or when to taper my cross training. Can anyone help?

Lisa
Last edited by Lisa0971 on Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Re: Tapering and cross training

Postby Dstew » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:04 pm

When I was running marathons, I was 3 -4 days of running and the rest "Cross Training" although I always preferred just to call it training. I would treat that as any run workout in a taper - reduce the volume but keep up the intensity. Depending upon how you feel, you may want to skip the cross training in the days leading up the marathon and maybe substitute it with a short run. So instead of a 45 minute elliptical, I might do a 2 mile marathon pace as I did once. For me, it was more of a feel thing - wanted all of my focus on running. But there are not necessarily any hard and fast rules but more listen to your body and adjust as what feels right for you.

Lisa0971

Re: Tapering and cross training

Postby Lisa0971 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:50 pm

Thanks Drew for the insight. :dance:

Return to “General Running Discussion”