Robbie-T's Waterfront Meltdown

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Robbie-T's Waterfront Meltdown

Postby Robbie-T » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:25 pm

Well folks, I'm totally sure what happened today, but I know I didn't or wasn't able to run to my full potential. I started out at a reasonable pace, 5:02 avg pace at 12.1k, 4:56 avg pace at 21.1, 30k 5:00 avg pace, the melt down had begun. My legs felt heavy from the start, so I started actually pretty smartly.

But from 28k on my body started shuting down, my left ear was plugged for the rest of the race, that was a huge annoyance, and I'm not sure what that was a sign of, anyone know? My calves started cramping, my quads started cramping, stomach was terribly yucky and I did the death walk/march for the next 12k.I thought I took on enough fluid and gel, maybe not. I felt gassey all week and thought I was coming down with something so I hit the ColdFX.

I still finished 3:56:43, I'm fine with that time, it's not the PB I was hunting for, it's about 30 minutes off. I just don't like not knowing why I felt so terrible this race. I have had a whack of great races and training runs this year, so I guess maybe it was my turn. One guy out in the race said it right, "you can fake a Half, but you can't fake a Full" There are lots of Fulls ahead I'll beat on the next one. London ON in May I think is my next full.

It was great to see all the RM Crew out for this race, so much support from everyone, Stefan (QC's pal), Kristi and SO, Rayman, Stephan, Iron Girl, Running Angel, BJH, Tracey, Tortise, ShinSplints, Moe&Arrow, Fizz, Chris, Bman, Stella, I might of missed a few but needless to say I saw a lot of friendly and supportive RM athletes today.

The best image I had today, was about the 9k mark near Jamesion, and the elites were on their way back already on Lakeshore, there was about 20 of them in a pack. It was amazing and beautiful watching those guys glide along.

Kristi thanks for keeping Bridie informed of my progress.

I guess Paris Grand Half is going to feel my wrath as it did last year after Detroit :twisted:
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:27 pm

Way-da-Go, Robbie-T, despite the obstacles that you had to overcome ... :clap:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:28 pm

Congrats for finishing! It's too bad you were feeling awful, but maybe you're fighting off a bug and just need a rest. I hope you feel better soon!
Love life, eat plants, do yoga.

Stephan
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stephan » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:35 pm

Well done Rob, you were very strong and I dont think you were the only one to struggle at the 30K mark, that wind was gruelling!!! You finished strong and pushed through to the end, you should be proud of your race today!! It was a privilege to be chasing you for most of the course!!

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:42 pm

Sorry you didn't meet your goal time. I know its a small consolation but your time is still great, I'm sure once you go over the race and the leadup in your head something may twig as to what might have gone wrong in the last 10k.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

clocker
Bill Crothers

tough day at the office of run

Postby clocker » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:07 pm

Man that sounds like a tough one. I can't quite grasp how fast you are even under those conditions, but that's OK. :D

No doubt it will toughen you up for the next PB attempt. Thanks for sharing the details. My hat's off to you for sticking it out on the raggedy edge regardless of you goals. Congratulations.
Ian
Hostility is a psychic boomerang

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:58 am

Hi Robbie... I was wondering what happened out there :cry: I know how bad you wanted it and trained for it! How's about Detroit? Not too late, is it? :?:
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:03 am

Still after all that's said & done, you toughed it out to the very end!
:D
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:03 am

I feel for you, Robbie. I know you had such high hopes for a huge PB in this one. I would be frustrated too if I didn't know why things didn't click. Knowing you, though, you'll turn this into a huge learning experience and totally rock your next one.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:05 am

I am sorry to read about your problems out there Robbie. I know we all have tough events but that doesn't make it easier to get through them. Congrats on toughing it out!!

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:10 am

It's called "runnin' a marathon"......on game day you just don't know if that marathon is gonna lay down or rise up and bite ya'.......3:56 is nothing to sneeze at...congrats at toughing it out big man!
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:12 am

Robbie...thanks for reporting in...I knew from tracking you that something had happened and hoped it wasn't anything serious...don't want any Maniacs visiting the medical tent!

The wind today was awful...during my LSD I kept thinking..."please no wind at T-Dot!"

You're a great runner.....never forget that!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

kpoire
Bill Crothers

Postby kpoire » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:36 am

Robbie, that is still a great result. Congrats!
:clap:

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:43 am

Way to go Robbie!! You managed to pull it off even though you weren't feeling it. It was great to be able to watch you run!

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:05 am

Every time I saw you & cheered (and you subsequently gave me a strange look..) you looked unbelievably strong. Some days it just doesn't come together...and the wind didn't help either!

It was awesome watching you though let me tell ya!
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:06 am

Nice meeting you after the race, and chattin you up during the race.

Now, go get some hot lemmon tea or something!!!

Bman
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
Berlin Marathon September 25
Chicago Marathon October 9
NYC Marathon November 6

...raising funds and awareness for the EVERYMAN Campaign!

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:09 am

Rob, i knew as soon as i saw your time that you would be dissapointed. But imagine this- when you did your marathon 2 years ago, you would have been thrilled with that time, now it is a "bad day"- just think how far you have come in such a short time.

You did the best you could under the circumstances, there are many factors that could have affected your performance, learn from them and move on.

I know you have that sub-3:30 in you (and a BQ in you). You are such a dedicated and determined runner.
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:11 am

Way to go Robbie. Some days it seems so easy and some days you can't buy it. Everybody knows that you'll get your result next time.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:16 am

Wow, unless you explained, I would never know how tough it was for you - you always do make it look easy Robbie. I checked against your BQ as soon as I looked up your result and was surprised at how off you were because I know how close you are... I've said it before.
But an off race with THAT time is amazing all the same. It's just around the corner man. Now rest up, recover and giver at the next one.

Congrats all the same, the photos show you looking strong and enjoying it no matter how the inside of you felt. 8)

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:22 am

Well done on toughing it out!!! You looked strong when I saw you. Knowing we had similar goals, I kept my eye out for ya. I guess things unravelled after that. :( See ya in Paris!

Robert
Tom Longboat

Postby Robert » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:25 am

I didn't get to cross paths with you during this race, but way to tough it out.

Mike from Creemore
Tom Longboat

Postby Mike from Creemore » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:53 am

Robbie, great perserverance will yield great results soon! You looked great on the course.
Mike

luvmybabies
Johnny Miles

Postby luvmybabies » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:54 am

Hmmmmm, when are you going to learn to listen to your wife? (probably never :roll: ) Everyone here at the Tolman household is sick, Kylar and Kaedon are not shy about sharing their "bugs" with mommy and daddy. This was one day in a lifetime of goals and accomplishments. I think that you should feel happy that you could still finish a full marathon under 4:00 while fighting this illness. We are very proud of you and admire you for your hard work and dedication. We look forward to seeing you get your revenge at the Paris half :clap: :dance:

Congrats to all Maniacs!
Bridie

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see."
John Burroughs

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:00 am

Sorry you didn't hit the goal this time. I have no doubt that you will in the future. It was great to see you on the course!
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:41 am

Tough one Robbie. Still you've done fine.
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

Return to “Run/Race Reports”