The Toad. By Doonst.

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Doonst
Abby Hoffman

The Toad. By Doonst.

Postby Doonst » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:50 pm

Yes this was my fifth race this month, #5 of 10 in 10.14 weeks. After 2 races last weekend I was back to feeling pretty good, was only sore Sunday and Monday. I ran 5.5 K trails on Tuesday, and 8K paved on Thursday.
The weather forecast wasn't great for today, and it rained a bit on the way down. Turned out okay, though, and stayed cloudy with minor sunny flashes.
We had a good turnout, including
TracyW
runjanerun
Heather
Darren
Trixiee
Prats
Baldguy
BJH
Nick
Doonst
Ultrarune
Cathy from Wooler. Did I miss anybody?

I lined up with Nick, fully knowing that he is a faster runner. We set off, running pretty much together for the first 2 K. Splits around 4:45, up hills and down. I'm supposed to know better, right? Then he pulled ahead, but I kept him in sight until 5 K mark. Constantly hilly, we did that in under 25 minutes. I was gonna pay, and pay I did. The next 20 K were a slog. I'm not sure it hurt my final time much, but who knows? It certainly detracted a bit from my enjoyment levels. Nick is much harder to chase than Dave. Note to self, just stop it. Run yer own race, damnit.
My first lap time was 1:07:18. For 12.5 K.
I tried not to compare my split times for the second lap, especially for those first 5 that I hammered. It wasn't pretty, though. I walked about 2 or 3 hills the first lap, probably 3 times that the second. It did help that I figured that my time was going to bend up better than I had hoped. Still, a slight feeling of failure at busting like that a bit. My second lap time was 1:12:35, only 5 minutes over, it felt like much more than that. Final time, 2:19:43 chip. That is a 25 K PB by about 6 minutes. That much was giggles. 99th out of 555 listed finishers (what happened to 725?)

Felt a touch rough for a minute at the finish, wonder how the pictures will turn out. (Its all about the avatars). Hung out for a while with Kristi and Erin, watched Darren and Baldman come in. Changed my clothes, watched a few more Maniacs come in, then on to lunch.

The Toad is as much about the hoopla as it is about the race. It atracts the top trail runners in Ontario and some beyond, first timers, and people who have never run that far before. The tent seated everybody, over 600 I guess, live bands almost non stop, and the food. After lunch and music, they had the awards, speeches, and door prizes. Ryne came in 4th and got a prize. There were 2 age groups, under 40 and over. We had all got amazing Saucony gym bags with the Toad embossed on them in our race kit. They gave out tons of door prizes; another Maniac will be wearing gratis Montrails soon. They threw out socks and hats, I grabbed some socks. Literally just as i was leaving, they called my name for a $25 gift certificate at time2run. Bueno swag, mucho hoopla.

So, fun day, good company, stuff, dumb race that I somehow did ok in, and all that hurts is a tender foot bottom. What's next?
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:55 pm

Congrats on the swag you picked up ..... :dance: ... and, oh yeah, on your race and PB, as well .. :P :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:01 pm

atta boy Doonster!! Great report sounds like a must do race.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Mike from Creemore
Tom Longboat

Postby Mike from Creemore » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:09 pm

Way to go. Sounds like a blast. Congrats on your PB. Started too fast eh? Where have I heard that before??? :roll:

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:28 pm

Sheldon.. I've said it before, I'll say it again... YOU DA MAN... 8)

While I never really got to see you on the course, I can attest that it was tough, and I am amazed at the times you are pulling off out there in those conditions...

Great that you took home extra schwag too... nothing like going home with a loot bag! :lol:

See you at Vulture Bait... I'll be the one with the blankets & hot chocolate :lol:
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:34 pm

Top 20%. Nice.
You're pulling in some tasty loot on this tour too.

The race has been over for many hours now. What's with the old avatar?

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:38 pm

Way to go Sheldon! wow, speedy, a new PB, cool swag and a gift cert. Can a day get any better??

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:46 pm

Great job Sheldon! Top 100! Woo Hoo! We learn something every race, and it sounds like you've identified a lesson or two in this one! Good job!
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:05 pm

Well done doooonst!!! :D

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:37 pm

Well done!
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:39 pm

Nice race, Sheldon. Sorry if I dragged you out too fast. My initial plan was to run the first loop with you (being the seasoned trail vet) and then see how I felt. That lasted until the second downhill....

Congrats on the great PB and picking up even more schwag after the race. We'll see you next weekend...
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:40 pm

Way to go, Doonst! Yer a machine! :wink:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

RonPerth
Bruce Kidd

Postby RonPerth » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:43 pm

Good going, Sheldon. I'd love to do that race, but its just so far.
Btw, I notice you there on the front page of the OUSer website

Ron

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:45 pm

That sounds like an awesome event. Congrats on a great race!
Love life, eat plants, do yoga.

runcherylrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runcherylrun » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:10 pm

Sounds like a great time & awesome event !!
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Helen Keller

msdesigner
Jerome Drayton

Postby msdesigner » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:15 pm

Well done Sheldon!! A PB, cool swag and a door prize. good stuff!!
Running 26.2 miles is not limited by physical capabilities but rather by the mind.
Uta Pippig

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:41 pm

Way to go Sheldon! What I don't understand is how you can run 5 races in as many weeks and still finish each one with a smile!!

I'll post my pics tomorrow so you can have a new avatar! And I'll see you in a couple of weeks at Vulture Bait. I'll be the one with Tracy and the hot chocolate!! :D

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:14 pm

Way to go - was waiting to see what the new avatar was going to be
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:17 pm

Sheldon way to go dude!!! You are rocking through the fall 10 in 10 series. yet another PB!!!

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:37 pm

Congrats on the PB! Can't believe it's the halfway point of the Tour, and you're still smokin' 8)

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:55 pm

Nice! A good race, and some good swag! Congrats!
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

SusanD
Bill Crothers

Postby SusanD » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:36 am

Another race, another av. Congrat's on your PB! Fantastic job, Sheldon. Only 5 to go!
Done: Full 2, 30k 2, 25k 1, Half 11, 13k 2, 10k 2, 8k 1, 5k 20 ...
Hmmm... this needs an update!

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:39 am

You're officially half way through now! Your report was fun to read. Way to go on the PB!

Lightning :D

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:52 am

Wow Sheldon- top 18 percent among some of the top trail runners in the province! And after 5 races this month... I'd say that's pretty darned good. Watch out at your next re-match with Dave though-
Nick is much harder to chase than Dave.

Them's fighting words!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:08 am

QuickChick wrote:Wow Sheldon- top 18 percent among some of the top trail runners in the province! And after 5 races this month... I'd say that's pretty darned good. Watch out at your next re-match with Dave though-
Nick is much harder to chase than Dave.

Them's fighting words!

Wait 'till you hear Ryne's comments... :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Return to “Run/Race Reports”