Doonst Baits the Vulture

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Doonst Baits the Vulture

Postby Doonst » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:17 pm

I did this race last year, it was the first time I ever ran 25K. The course then was dry, I had a great day 3 weeks after my iffy half marathon debut. My time last year was 2:25, which had held up as my PB through 2 other Ouser races this year, topped only last month at the Toad, at 2:19. I figured that I could get that down today to at least 2:15, more if the course was dry.
The course wasn't dry, southern Ontario had a week of rain and snow and cooler temps. Drizzling all the way down the 401 (160 K each way) it somehow broke into blue sky as soon as I pulled in.
Larry (Lx2run) from Sarnia recognized me "by your stride" he said, as well as my trademark knee brace. Kristi and Darren were there too, then TracyW. Larry was also doing the 25, Darren his first 50. We all started together. At the line waiting, Larry said he hoped for a 2:15. Oh, no! That's my time. The RD warned us of the high creeks, and the water on the course. Gulp.
The first 5 K are in the campground area, mostly grass and tractor paths. Then across the dam, and into the woods.
http://www.vulturebaitrace.com/images/coursemap.gif
Follow along on the map if you want.
It's not a tough course, as trail races go, but the easiest trail race is probably tougher than your average road race. I know I never felt as strong today as I did last week at Ottawa Fall Colours. It just felt laboured, and without any real way to tell how well you are doing except perceived effort, its pretty easy to be hard on yourself. There was some mud along this part, but not too much as we were mostly on top of the ravine that leads down to the reservoir. No real hills here, just meandering through the forest. At about 10K there was the first creek; today it was a river. The stepping stones were about 6 inches underwater, some people just barged through up to their knees. There was a rope to steady yourself, people including me waited in turn for it. Larry said he saw me cross, I didn't know he was there. At the second water station, I asked how far we were; they said 10 K. My Garmin said 10.76 and I suspected it was short. Turns out it was 11.2 There were no K markers, and people were no more reliable than the Garmin. Next section had increasingly more mudholes, it started affecting our times. I'd guess maybe 2 minutes overall, but who know? More into the ravine here, lots of leaves too, and slightly rolling. I always settle in by this point. Eventually by the second half I knew my time was on track; I stopped stressing about it. Next aid station at 16.7 K, then a bit of paved road. The marshall as we re-entered the woods said we had gone over 17 K here; he turned out to be right! But I didn't believe him. Couple more K's and we crossed a paved road bridge at the end of the lake. At the turn-in, there was a Maniac cheering section!!! Nice surprise guys, thanks.
Larry passed me here for a second, but I didn't realise it at first. 7 K to go, and I'm neck and neck with another Maniac. Where have we heard this before? This is the hilliest section, nothing huge but it is the last 7 K. I struggle a bit for 2, but then we are on top again for most of the last 5. Larry and I got off the course for about 15 seconds, couldn't find any flags to follow. I had just picked it up a bit, too. A 50 K guy came by and we followed him for a while. After we passed him, I picked it up just a bit again, but Larry was right on my back so I walked a hill to let him by. He's way to polite to pass anybody :wink: Boy he scooted once he was by me. I always kept him just in sight though. He knew I was back there. (this does sound familiar). For the last 2 K I upped it a bit more for sure, but he must have too. I didn't need to beat him, I just so wanted to be in the background of his finish line picture. Small victories you know. Made sense on the trail. Never did quite catch him; at the finish we were 6 seconds apart. I really did try, I swear.
My time was a pleasnat surprise. Halfway through, i was writing my excuses like if only it was dryer. Oh, I did use that one already. I finished in 2:11:03. 14 minutes faster than last year, a PB by over 8 minutes. (In the mud.) That is just fine with me. Garmin said 24.02 K, Sporttracks cleaned that up to be 25.05. 2 out of the last 3 Ks under 5 minutes, ouch.
Like I said, I never felt on top of the world like last week; at first I thought maybe I neede the Garmin to constantly pat me on the back to feel good. But then I remembered that i passed about 50 people in the last 6 K last weekand nobody passed me, maybe I really did have a good day then. Today was okay too.
After the race, talked some more, met Mayhem, in London. Watched Darren cruise by on his way to a second lap. Prats and Doug happened by. Food was good, Ceaser salad, penne, large chicken breasts Marinara. Didn't place too well in my age group; they only have 2, under 50 and over 50. I was 23 out of ? When I left, people were still crossing the line, at 3:20. I feel fine, do have a cold coming on.
Last edited by Doonst on Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:20 pm

:shock: You're such a Maniac, Doonst ... :lol: Awesome race, report and PB, dude ... :clap: You never cease to amaze me ... imagine if you actually decide to taper for an "A" race .. :shock: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:21 pm

Like I said at the highway when we saw you:

Man, you looked so relaxed and smooth out there Sheldon... You even took time to pose & smile as you crossed the finish line... 8)

Congratulations... seemed like a tough course due to the mud & lack of spots for "people" contact...

Maybe next year for me...maybe next year... :wink:
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:21 pm

HCiD wrote::shock: You're such a Maniac, Doonst ... :lol: Awesome race, report and PB, dude ... :clap: You never cease to amaze me ... imagine if you actually decide to taper for an "A" race .. :shock: :wink:

I taper 36 hours a week!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:23 pm

Doonst wrote:
HCiD wrote::shock: You're such a Maniac, Doonst ... :lol: Awesome race, report and PB, dude ... :clap: You never cease to amaze me ... imagine if you actually decide to taper for an "A" race .. :shock: :wink:

I taper 36 hours a week!

May I suggest 48 hours for Niagra ... :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:24 pm

Great job Doonst! 7 down, too. You are well ahead on the tour. ;)
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:39 pm

Well done Sheldon. Take care of that cold - there's still more racing to be done.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:22 pm

Wow, Sheldon, that is a great PB and on your 7th 21+ KM race in how many weeks? Six or seven?? You are amazing! I can't imagine doing that many in a row, let alone PB-ing 3/4 of the way into them! Good for you!
Jane

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:07 pm

Alright, Sheldon! Nice PB for a mud bath run. Sounds like you were in the groove, even if you thought you weren't.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Sanders
Bill Crothers

Postby Sanders » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:30 pm

Way to go, Sheldon! Nothing like shaving 14 minutes off a race to let you know how much you have improved. You exceeded your goal by several minutes, just like last week.

Keep at it. You are a shining example for the rest of us.
Next Up in 2010:
April - 21K de Montreal
May - Cabot Trail Relay Race, Legs 6&7

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:02 pm

Way to go Sheldon! You're a racing machine!

Dwayne
I run distance because I want to be in good shape when I die.
--
Friends don't let friends do anything stupid.
Alone.
Blackfoot 2007.

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:55 pm

Nice job! Just imagine how speedy you will be if you increase the tour from 10 races to 20 or 30 or...
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:16 pm

Smokin report Bud, sounds like this racing experience is really showing.
Great Run.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:37 pm

Great job Sheldon!
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

Bebette
Bill Crothers

Postby Bebette » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:53 pm

Very nice report Sheldon! I felt I was there on the course.
I run because it's fun.

In another life:
3 marathons including Boston twice (PB: 3:47), 6 halfs (PB: 1:45), 6 10k (PB: 46:41) and 3 5ks (PB: 21:00)

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Re: Doonst Baits the Vulture

Postby dgrant » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:59 pm

Doonst wrote:Never did quite catch him; at the finish we were 6 seconds apart.

...taste of your own medicine!!!

Nice personal course record. You have a 40% lead in the Fall Tour. 8)

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:45 pm

I finished in 2:11:03. 14 minutes faster than last year, a PB by over 8 minutes.

Way to NAIL it sir!!!!

You guys are complete maniacs for sure!!!!!!!

One more down!

Bman
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
Berlin Marathon September 25
Chicago Marathon October 9
NYC Marathon November 6

...raising funds and awareness for the EVERYMAN Campaign!

Lx2run
Tom Longboat

Postby Lx2run » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:12 pm

Sheldon

Great to meet you
didn't mean to beat you

Great race and excellent pacing big thanks

Larry
Do all the good you are able to-
Any time you are able
Every way you are able
Every where you are able
For everyone you can...
Until you are able to again
-Haitian Proverb

Lonerunner
Bill Crothers

Postby Lonerunner » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:49 pm

Great Job, Sheldon.
-Lisa

To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:02 am

Wow! :shock: 8)

That is some report Sheldon... my goodness you are one fast and enduring maniac!!

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:22 am

Well done, once again! :D
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:19 pm

Yet another fantastic run!!! :D

Mike from Creemore
Tom Longboat

Postby Mike from Creemore » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:33 pm

Sheldon....great as usual! Congrats on another PB. Your a machine! Take care of the cold though.
Mike

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:00 pm

Wow!
:D
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:47 pm

Wow Sheldon, you are a machine! What a PB, and on a tough course as well. Congratulations!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Return to “Run/Race Reports”