Doonst V Detroit

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Doonst V Detroit

Postby Doonst » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:13 pm

Detroit Free Press International Marathon Half. This was the first race of the fall tour that I signed up for, back in the spring. Actually, it and the Toad entrance fees were a birthday gift from my S.O., way back when I turned 49. This was my 9th race of the series, 7th in 36 days. My cold was just waning after 2 weeks.
Drove down Saturday morning, through rain and snow on the 401. Got to my sister’s in Windsor for lunch, and my parents were there. They were visiting my sick uncle, our family is from down here originally. Over to Detroit for the expo and pasta dinner. They couldn’t seat all 15 Maniacs and friends together, we got 3 separate tables. Great view of the river and bridge, pretty good food and desert. Back to my sister’s in Windsor to sleep.
Woke up 2 minutes before my alarm, how good is that. On the road and trough the tunnel and customs in great time; I had to allow for delays so I had a ½ hour to kill sitting in the warm car. Second time I walked by our corral I saw Dave and Lisa. We were assigned to corral “L”, I pictured us in the middle of a huge crowd starting at “A”. The only one in front of us was “K”, so we crossed in 6 seconds! It was pretty cold and windy standing at the line.
Dave and I had planned to run together for a while, like in London. That seemed to last about 30 seconds, and he dropped back behind me. I just kept running my race. Lots of people were passing me for the first couple miles, like they had lined up too far back. I felt fine here, just a little cold. I was in shorts and 3 tech shirts, throwaway gloves and a cap. Once again I was without my Garmin, this time the battery was dead. It was sort of neat winding through downtown into Mexican town, seeing the Ambassador bridge get closer. The bridge hill was long! I tried to just take it easy, but it went on for ever. I had to remind myself to look down the river a couple of times, mostly you saw the road and the other runners. My sister and BIL were at the bottom of the bridge each with cameras. My time was pretty good at this point, I heard it a a mile marker/water station.5 miles in 37:30 or something like that. Heading down Riverside in Windsor you couldn’t feel the wind, but it must have been pushing us. I was hoping to hit my stride at this point, when it starts to feel easy. I guess I went out a little too fast for that today. By the time I got near the tunnel I started to feel a little stressed. I never did see Dave again and just assumed that he had passed me at some water station. Sister and BIL were here at the tunnel entrance taking more pictures. The tunnel was warm, but it ws sorta nice. Going up I must have kept steady because only one guy passed me. Into Detroit, I really felt dragging and people started to fly by me. The wind was there, but we winded all over behind Cobo Hall and stuff. I hadn’t seen a mile marker since 7 in Windsor. I was hoping we were coming up to 11, but when I saw the next one it was 10. Did the math, 3 miles left is 5K; I don’t want to be out here for another 25 minutes! I felt like I was staggering along, at times people were passing me, then I would pass a bunch. The wind was weird here, but then again we were changing direction every couple blocks. At mile 12 there was no water station, it was about 3 or 4 blocks later. I was walking for 10 seconds at most stations, and I was really looking forward to that. Slight, very slight push for the last mile, seeing Ford Field get closer .Down the ramp, no problem, then the big Jumbotron finish. 1:41:56 on the clock. Not the 1:40 I was hoping for, but better than the 2 hour
it felt like. Chip time 1:41:50, a PB by 19 seconds.
Looked around for Dave, figuring he would be lined up to see Lisa finish. First time I saw himm, he was bowing at my feet signaling his loss. Lisa came in right after. We grabbed some water, got our pictures taken, then sat/laaid down on the turf to stretch. Watched Pat, Barbara and Tracy finish, the more pictures including one of the “three idiots”. Thanks always for that title Ryne. I was hobbling a bit with a sore calf, so eventually I headed back instead of staying to watch the full marathon runners. Walking back to the car still in my shorts was cold all over again. At least the stadium was nice and warm, just right. Now I get a weekend off before the big finale in Paris.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:18 pm

:shock: glad, that you took my advice to tapering, Sheldon ... :lol:

Congratulations, on another awesome race and PB, taboot .... :clap: :dance: :whistle:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:19 pm

great report - well done. almost there....you idiot :wink:
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:20 pm

Awesome job Sheldon, you crazy maniac!!

So incredible what you are pulling off... wow!! :shock: :D

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:23 pm

Great report and congrats on a PB SHeldon!!! :D Looking forward to seeing you guys at the finale in Paris.

Lx2run
Tom Longboat

Postby Lx2run » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:27 pm

Great run Sheldon and you beat Dave to boot. Another good day at the "office"
Do all the good you are able to-
Any time you are able
Every way you are able
Every where you are able
For everyone you can...
Until you are able to again
-Haitian Proverb

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:30 pm

Hey - Great Job! Well done! despite the wind :cry:

from
Heather's Mum :D

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:33 pm

Way to go! Sounds like another successful fall tour stop
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:39 pm

Great job, Sheldon! So how many PB's has this fall tour given you now??? Congrats!
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

SusanD
Bill Crothers

Postby SusanD » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:55 pm

Only one to go - isn't amazing how quickly the tour has flown by? :P ('kay, for us non-participants anyway.) Rest up well for the grand finale.

And, oh yeah, GREAT job today!!!
Done: Full 2, 30k 2, 25k 1, Half 11, 13k 2, 10k 2, 8k 1, 5k 20 ...
Hmmm... this needs an update!

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:57 pm

Good job again Sheldon!
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:57 pm

Sounds like a great run Doonst. Well done report.
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

Katie the Brat
Bill Crothers

Postby Katie the Brat » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:03 pm

Way to go! Congratulations on the PB. Wonderful report too.

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:13 pm

Great job Sheldon! The pb's just keep on coming!
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

a_beacher
Jerome Drayton

Postby a_beacher » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:23 pm

I still find myself shaking my head at the Fall Tour. I am in awe!! Congratulations on the new PB and bragging rights!!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:40 pm

Congrats on the PB! I, too, am in awe of all you've accomplished!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:41 pm

I am impressed with you as always, Sheldon! I enjoyed this report-I felt like I was right there with you through the ups and downs.

Congrats on the PB! See you in Paris...guess I should sign up soon.
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:45 pm

Once again Sheldon.. you are a machine. Way to go- I think you ran a great race. You seemed a LOT more healthy than last week!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Madame Bourette
Jerome Drayton

Postby Madame Bourette » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:00 pm

Another Pb for the machine. Is there such things as limits in your vocabulary?
"Ok, j'vais l'faire le maudit Ironman!" North of Hélène, Dec 15, 2008.

Running Mania moderator-in-training

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:11 pm

Alright, Sheldon! A PB is a PB., especially at the tail end of a busy racing season and a bout of sickness. Congrats, one more to go.....
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:29 pm

Good work Bud!! Another one down?

So you going to run a 21k long run this weekend to prep for Paris?
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:34 pm

Nice!

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:28 pm

Way to go Sheldon !!! I'm hoping by the time we meet at the Hilton Falls trail run, you guys will be so worn out from your Fall Tour that we'll leave you in our dust. Yeah right :roll: Congrats on another great race :D

Joanne
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:29 pm

Great job and congrats on the PB, Sheldon! :clap:

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:02 am

Nice report Sheldom and excellent race. MY garmin cut out so much that it was over 5 km behind in distance be the end of my marathon. Thus is was of no use other than as a HRM.

Congrats!!!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”