Winnipeg runner hit

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

clocker
Bill Crothers

Winnipeg runner hit

Postby clocker » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:09 pm

Maybe this has already been asked, if so please delete this. Has anyone been able to identify the Winnipeg runner that was hit this morning on Wellington? It sounds like an ugly story about being chased by a stolen car with the intent to hit the runner. At least that's the reportage on CBC Radio One this lunch time. :( The runner is apparently in hospital with head injuries.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:13 pm

oh yikes.

nothing on cbc.ca (the manitoba page)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Prairiekid
Bill Crothers

Postby Prairiekid » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:22 pm

I heard about a traffic problem on Wellington this morning, but didn't realize it was a car-pedestrian ting, and certainly didn't know it was a runner. That's awful.
Boston Marathon Finisher, April 21, 2008
Read about my Around the World Adventure at Go See Run Eat Drink

clocker
Bill Crothers

Postby clocker » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:32 pm

49 year old male. :(

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:33 pm

clocker wrote:49 year old male. :(

it's so hard when it hits close to home.

(ouch, that might have been worded horribly)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:08 pm

From google news

http://winnipegsun.com/News/Winnipeg/20 ... 15225.html

A jogger sustained serious head injuries after likely being hit by a car on Wellington Crescent this morning.

Cops say a group of unrelated joggers found the 49-year-old man lying in the middle of the road about 6:25 a.m. this morning.

He was taken to hospital in unstable condition but has since been upgraded to what police are calling “guarded” condition.

Cops say they haven’t spoken to anyone who actually saw what happened to him, but the group of joggers who found him had reported to police only minutes earlier that a car was driving erratically down Wellington and had tried to hit them on purpose.

Police later discovered what they believe to be the offending vehicle—an early 1990’s Pontiac Sunbird—in a snowbank in a West Broadway back lane.

The car had been abandoned and has since been towed away.

Anyone who witnessed the jogger getting hit is asked to call police immediately at 986-2877.

Read more in tomorrow's Winnipeg Sun.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

hyajil
Bill Crothers

Postby hyajil » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:05 pm

here's the email that was sent to me along a chain:

Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2007 9:09 AM
>Subject: CAUTION: RUNNING on the STREETS!!!
>
>
>>
>>Hello All
>>
>>I just wanted to pass along what happened to my running group this
>>morning. I am still upset and shaken from the events and I hope
>>that we can all learn from it.
>>
>>My group went running at 5:30 am at the duckpond down towards the
>>Misercordia. As we ran down Wellington, a car tried to
>>intentionally hit us. We dove for the snowbanks and were ok. We
>>continued on and the car turned around and went after us again.
>>We thought the car had moved on, so we continued down wellington
>>past the train tracks, the car turned around and drove normally,
>>however, after it got closer to us, hit the gas and attempted to
>>hit us again. The car continued to do this two more times, it was
>>obvious that the car wanted to hit anybody!
>>We flagged down a car to borrow the driver's cell phone and called
>>the police. The police said they were on their way. We decided to
>> go back to the duckpond and we came upon a huge pool of blood on
>>the side of the road. Of course, we warned approaching runners of
>>this car and to stay on the middle section of Wellington. Not far
>>from the blood scene, we approached another runner to warn him and
>>he was covered in blood!!! He was disoriented, had no idea who or
>>where he was or what happened. He kept saying he was just looking
>>for his walkman. He was obviously hit by the car as there was
>>tire marks in the ice and part of the bumper on the snowbank next
>>to the blood.
>>
>>Anyway. Please try to run in groups, without music & carry
>>IDENTIFICATION always. This was really upsetting to see & witness
>>and I hope that we can all try to make our runs safe.
>>
>>Noriko

markB
Bruce Kidd

Postby markB » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:19 pm

wow. :shock: This is totally unbelievable. What kind of psychotic person would do that? fingers crossed that they'll catch the driver and that the runner is OK. geez.

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:22 pm

holy *****

I almost went out on that exact route this morning at about 6. Somehow Natalie needing help to find her flash drive might have had bigger ramifications than expected. I woke up really early, craving to get out and do a long-ish run and I would have ran down Wellington to the gates of the Park.

I hope this punks are caught.

My thoughts are with the family & friends of this fellow who was hit.

Dwayne
I run distance because I want to be in good shape when I die.
--
Friends don't let friends do anything stupid.
Alone.
Blackfoot 2007.

garth
Bill Crothers

Postby garth » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:22 pm

It is getting hard to see Winnipeg as being a safe place to do anything anymore. Something has to be done to get control of the stolen cars etc.

The other night watching the news and it was a group of under 16 yr old kids who had stolen SUVs and were running up and down streets crashing into other vehicles for sport. This is likely an act by the same type of group hopped up on crank after a long night. Sounds like they were trying to hit runners for sport.

When i go there now I take my old beater car, take everything out of it, park it at the hotel in secure parking then rent or use transit. Have many friends who have had vehicles stolen or broken into. You are especially vulnerable if you have an out of province plate and park at a mall.

Sad and scary to hear this story, hope one of the runners had the presence of mind to get some sort of description of the driver although I doubt much will be done in the end.

Events of this type are just getting too common in Winnipeg.
Last edited by garth on Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please consider the jobs of those in the forest industry before deciding not to print stuff

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:25 pm

topmarks wrote:wow. :shock: This is totally unbelievable. What kind of psychotic person would do that? fingers crossed that they'll catch the driver and that the runner is OK. geez.

Unfortunately the reality is that the psycho was probably a kid out for a joy ride, cause it's fun to steal cars, race and hit people. He/she probably already has a record as long as Shaq's arm and is "known by police". If caught he/she will be released that same day. Such is the justice system in Winnipeg.
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

markB
Bruce Kidd

Postby markB » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:26 pm

i'm taking a criminology course and just learned that winnipeg has the highest property crime rate in canada. you guys must be tough to survive out there :)

glad to see dwayne post here safely.

equigal
Johnny Miles

runner accident

Postby equigal » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:10 pm

Thank you for posting this story..
I have posted it on our running club web site and it certainly re-enforces the need to be alert while running.....

I am also am avide road biker.....and there have been many times that I think that drivers are aiming for me...

LOL.....

Ontario is as bad as anywhere...too much road rage......

B-Girl
Johnny Miles

Postby B-Girl » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:23 pm

Tragic, my thoughts are with the hurt runner and I hope they catch the people who did this.

Definitely a reminder to keep alert at all times, I often feel like early mornings are 'safer' but obviously the need to be aware always is crucial.

ETA: spelling
"The things you have to work the hardest to achieve are often the achievments you most treasure." - Paula Radcliffe

"For victory to have meaning, there must first be a battle. For a success to feel fulfilling, a struggle must precede it." -Unknown

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:27 pm

Just as aside, the story about the runner assaulted in Calgary and this story took place in good parts of town. There are parts of both cities I don't feel comfortable in, but Point McKay is a good part of Calgary and Wellington Cres. is Winnipeg's nicest street, presumably where someone would feel the least at risk. I guess you shouldn't get a false sense of security from your surroundings.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

BaldGuy
Jerome Drayton

Postby BaldGuy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:54 pm

Barbarians. Actually, strike that. It's insulting to actual Barbarians.
BG

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:06 pm

Unbelievable that one person could try to drive over another for sport.

The Youth Justice Act's "catch and release" policy needs some serious revamping.

A good reminder in Noriko's e-mail about running with ID and being aware of your surroundings/running safe. The street where the runner was hit, is one that I have run on many, many times - scary.

Colleen

run4cardio
Bruce Kidd

Postby run4cardio » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:24 pm

The whole set of circumstances are bizarre - I can't imagine anyone trying to intentionally run someone down! I hope that an attempted murder charge is laid if they find the person. It really seems like there was intent here.

Another must do when running is to make sure that at least one person in a group of runners has a cell phone. It would have helped to get the police on the scene faster in this case.

Still shaking my head.

Tony in Markham
To run is to live!

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:37 pm

From the Free Press

A 49-year-old jogger is in guarded condition in hospital after he was struck -- perhaps deliberately -- by someone speeding down Wellington Crescent in a stolen car, police said today.
Const. Jacqueline Chaput said police learned of the hit-and-run shortly after 6 a.m. when a group of runners called 911 saying a blue car swerved at them as they jogged down Wellington Crescent.

Moments later the same group of joggers called police saying they found an injured man lying on the road at Wellington near Lanark Street.

Chaput said police got a good description of the car, including a licence plate number, and put out a broadcast for patrol cars to be on the lookout.

The car, an early-’90s Pontiac Sunbird, was found a short time later by police, abandoned near Broadway and Langside Street. It is now being examined by a police forensic team.

The injured jogger was rushed to hospital in unstable condition with head injuries, and has been upgraded to guarded.
Police ask anyone with information about the car, or its driver, -- it’s believed two people were in the car -- to call detectives at 986-2877.

Chaput said the incident highlights the need for all car owners to theft-proof their vehicles.

“It’s unfortunate it’s come to this,” she said. “Based on what’s happening here, it could have potentially tragic consequences.”

Police had no information on where or when the Sunbird was stolen.

On Wednesday 31 vehicles were reported stolen to police. There were also nine attempted thefts. Police also recovered 14 vehicles that had been reported stolen days earlier. bruce.owen@freepress.mb.ca

Just what I was thinking - its really the person whose car was stolen who's at fault here. Blame everyone except the criminals.

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:05 pm

The CBC news just showed the bloody snowbank, I nearly yakked.

This has been a week of big news car thievery. The other day 6 punks stole a couple suv's and went on a demolition derby frenzy. They were arrested, then released.

I can only imagine the ramifications if one of the punks in this mornings car were involved in the above demo derby.

Dwayne
I run distance because I want to be in good shape when I die.

--

Friends don't let friends do anything stupid.

Alone.

Blackfoot 2007.

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:41 pm

This is unbelievable. Some people have nothing to do with their time. :wall:

This is also scary.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

shrike
Percy Williams

Postby shrike » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:24 pm

It's funny... I used to work in a jail here in Winnipeg, so I know 1st hand how many scumbags there are out there... yet I never would have seen this coming. I too, have jogged down Wellington Cres. hundreds of times, and would never have imagined my life being in danger there by anything other than my own stupidity. I probably would have jogged slack-jawed right into this lowlife's car. I guess there really aren't many "safe" places out there.

ID and/or a cell phone are great ideas, but I know lots of us don't bother with either of them when we're out for our runs. Minimally, make sure someone knows your route and about how long you expect to be out.

..and be safe out there.

D@mn, I hate criminals.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:34 pm

Bigger story in today's Winnipeg Sun

http://winnipegsun.com/News/Winnipeg/20 ... 2-sun.html

From one of the group that was run at but not hit:

He said the group decided to carry on because all the runners are training for a marathon and it's not unusual for drivers to challenge them for running on the road -- although never that fast or that close.

WTF?????

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:09 pm

Oh, you know those marathon runners... nothing's going to get in the way of their training!

Seriously... an acquaintance of mine was hit by a car (well, she hit the car, but it was the car's fault) while training for her first Ironman. The first thing she thought of as she was lying bleeding by the side of the road was, "I hope I can still do my long ride this weekend."
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:16 pm

La wrote:Oh, you know those marathon runners... nothing's going to get in the way of their training!

No, I mean how crazy is it that a car intentionally driving at them doesn't register right away because it happens so routinely.

Return to “General Running Discussion”