A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:25 am

The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:28 am

it's white day in Japan. I am waiting for my chocolates.

gwnorth
Bill Crothers

Postby gwnorth » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:33 am

Still banned from running by my AT until at least tomorrow. My shin is still tender to the touch where she treated it. I will head to the pool this evening instead for my second swim session of the week. Hopefully I will have more time than on Monday and the pool won't be too crowded. If so then I can see if my performance last week was a fluke or if I can repeat it.

Have a great day,
María

Burlington Chilly 1/2 - Done
ATB 30k - Done
Mississauga 1/2 - Done
C3 Caledon Sprint Tri - Done
Guelph Lake I Sprint Tri - Done

kevvyd
Bruce Kidd

Postby kevvyd » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:37 am

BJH wrote:I bought new running shoes last night. I took them to the gym this morning for a treadmill run since they are a new model, but there is some weird pinching thing going on in my upper back, so I stopped after a few minutes. :evil:
I have problems with my back often when I run on the treadmill. Last week I ran a 9K tempo run and midway through my upper back was all tight and pinched. It turns out that I was watching a television that wasn't right in from of the treadmill (there is a wall of them at the gym I sometimes go to and the one that was showing the Sens game was a few over. I resigned myself to watching Jeopardy straight ahead and it went away.
Kevin

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:39 am

15k in the books before the rain begins. :D

kevvyd
Bruce Kidd

Postby kevvyd » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:40 am

We were both up with a sick four-year-old last night. Vomitous tremendous. She is sleeping now, but still unable to hold food.

Last night I had a great 9k tempo run - averaged 5:16 throughout and just for giggles ran the last K at 4:50. It was fun. Tonight is a scheduled hill repeat (5X), but I'm definitely going to have to have a nap before then. That is, provided I'm not in Claire's shoes by then.
Kevin

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:42 am

Too bad I don't like steak.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:43 am

anners wrote:it's white day in Japan. I am waiting for my chocolates.

Worst holiday ever for men!!!!!!!! :evil:

Wednesday is my ski day but not today; skiing in rain is not my definition of fun, so I went back to work. 25km LSD tonight.
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

waynerdog
Jerome Drayton

Postby waynerdog » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:48 am

I just can't seem to leave the land of the sickies. I was all set to do my 10k tempo run last night, and by 8pm all I wanted to do was go to bed and sleep. So I didn't end up running.

Today, if all goes well and I don't actually cough out one of my lungs, I am going to try to do some hills.

Ughhh. :(

Hermes
Bill Crothers

Postby Hermes » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:53 am

It's March 14th... who knew so many people were celebrating all kindsa kinky thangs. 8)

I had my best speed workout ever last night, my legs were wibbly at the end but I felt great, and the feeling's lasting.

So, I didn't know what I was doing but it all fell into place (by my standards). The task was: 4x800m / 10k pace. So, since I hate running long distances on a track, I did a circuit that went like this:

1. 5 min. warm up
2. 4.5 min. fast
3. 2.5 min comfortable
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3, three more times
5. Rest of the run home @ comfortable pace.

The circuit was approx. 7K, and I completed in just under 42 minutes. It was a rolling circuit, so some of my fasts were uphill, some were downhill. The cool thing was that I hit a water fountain on the way out and back during my 2.5 min. comfortable so stopped to hydrate. And I got a compliment from a driver, who rolled down her window to shout out to me that "It's good you're wearing those flashing reflectors, they really show up!"

It's nice to feel appreciated (as opposed to being mowed down.)

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:53 am

kevvyd wrote:
BJH wrote:I bought new running shoes last night. I took them to the gym this morning for a treadmill run since they are a new model, but there is some weird pinching thing going on in my upper back, so I stopped after a few minutes. :evil:
I have problems with my back often when I run on the treadmill. Last week I ran a 9K tempo run and midway through my upper back was all tight and pinched. It turns out that I was watching a television that wasn't right in from of the treadmill (there is a wall of them at the gym I sometimes go to and the one that was showing the Sens game was a few over. I resigned myself to watching Jeopardy straight ahead and it went away.

The TV's can be a problem, but I took my nano and it was pinching before I got to the gym. I went in anyway under the ignore it and it will go away method of treatment. Unfortunately that didn't work. I will stretch a today and see if it gets better.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:59 am

I think today is either a rest day, or, a 1/2 hour walk day.

My knee was a bit "tired" on our run last night....and, we're going to a movie tonight. Since it's taper time anyway, I'm not too concerned! :)

Oh - maybe I'll weigh in at WW today at lunch......

We have Salmon in the fridge right now - the steak is frozen - sorry Jacc! ;)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:08 am

David Grant!! :shock: :shock:

family forum!!

:roll:
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:10 am

klewlis wrote:David Grant!! :shock: :shock:

family forum!!

dave - looks like you are lucky that she doesn't know your middle name!!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:10 am

Irongirl wrote:

family forum!!

dave - looks like you are lucky that she doesn't know your middle name!!

apparently I need to find it out for moments such as this. :P
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:24 am

Dave's just lonely...

The Joggler
Bruce Kidd

Postby The Joggler » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:33 am

Going out for a work dinner at Six Steps, then joggling 10K home. I forgot my racing beanbags at home and the only ones I have at work at my Exerballs. They are very big and heavy – the ones I used to set the first joggling marathon record in 2005 – and I haven't joggled with them in years, so tonight will be a blast from the past.

Michal
http://thejoggler.blogspot.com

deb
Bill Crothers

Postby deb » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:35 am

I am NOT letting my DH read this thread :shock: :roll:

I declare March 15th to be: 'clean the house, do the dishes, bath the kids, do the laundry and make supper and clean up after' day for the men in the house.

5K run on the treadmill today, while everyone seems to be melting, I woke up to -20 degree weather :evil:

one more week and it should be melting again.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:39 am

deb wrote:

I declare March 15th to be: 'clean the house, do the dishes, bath the kids, do the laundry and make supper and clean up after' day for the men in the house.

Meh. I call that "Wednesday".
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

deb
Bill Crothers

Postby deb » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:40 am

LOL, not in my house :evil:

caro
Bruce Kidd

Postby caro » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:06 am

deb wrote:I am NOT letting my DH read this thread :shock: :roll:

I'm with you. :wink:

I got out for a great 5.5k this am and finished just before the rain began. It was one of those days where I just didn't want to run--haven't slept well in 3 nights but felt I "should" get out there. So Nanny looked after the kids and I had a super run! I love it when that happens. If only I had had time to run longer.

Finished up my FWO clinic last night so I just dropped some cash at RR--to take advantage of my discount that will soon be cut off. Got new shoes Trigon4 Guide. Hope they work out for me.

Have a great Wednesday!
C

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:15 am

I'm not letting the DH know about this - but wouldn't you know - I do have steaks in the fridge to BBQ tonight. :roll:

Maybe we'll have chicken instead.

Anyway, didn't do much yesterday - took the dogs out for a 45 min walk last night and then watched American Idol....

Today - plan to get to the gym in the afternoon - do some sorta workout.

Happy Wed.
Race Hard. Race Happy.

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:16 am

family forum!!

First of all, I didn't invent the day.
Second, my link was discreet. (discrete?)
Third, don't rain on our parade. SBJ Day comes but once a year!

msdesigner
Jerome Drayton

Postby msdesigner » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:34 am

I am working from home this week so I took advantage of being able to sleep in. Heaven!! :D Now I have to put in at least 4 hours of undistracted - no break work.

Last night, I ran 8.5 on the TM testing out new shoes - Saucony Grid Stabil - which are absolutely perfect!! Matthew is a genius! I was inspired by IronCol to get back to strength training so I put in 45 minutes!!

Today, I plan to get out for a 7-10 km run this afternoon ....at 9C I have to run outside - besides my new white shoes are just too white - my whites socks look sooooo dirty.

Enjoy the day everyone.

Change of plans -I'm switching my rest day to today = coffee with the girls . I'll run tomorrow.
Last edited by msdesigner on Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Running 26.2 miles is not limited by physical capabilities but rather by the mind.
Uta Pippig

Hermes
Bill Crothers

Postby Hermes » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:46 am

deb wrote:LOL, not in my house :evil:

I like your avatar! where was it taken? there are seashores in Saskatchewan? (or perhaps that's a lake...)

Return to “General Running Discussion”