Doonst finally runs a marathon

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Doonst finally runs a marathon

Postby Doonst » Mon May 28, 2007 9:35 pm

Sunday, May 27, 7 AM. Set off with faithful sidekick dgrant on the last 42.2 K of my 3 year, 5000 K marathon. Okay, I'm the sidekick. If I had a beer for every time someone said, "this is your first?, I thought you'd done 1/2/3 already..." Jeesh, you do a couple dozen halfs and people think you've been running forever. For the record this is the third anniversary of when I first even thought of trying running.

So we set off crossing the line in 59 seconds. Cool running along Wellington and all the government buildings. Gatineau was alright, nice to mix it up. I didn't really find it hilly, inclines at best. Dave and I were running pretty good, maybe a little fast. Tried to keep it easy, kept forcing ourselves to chill. I jumped into the bushes around 6K, caught up by 7. Dave said Jacc had flown by. My mantra, currently my sig, was
"The first half should feel like a party,
the next 10 should feel comfortable,
and then you start to dig"
I was determined to keep the first half stress-free, enjoyable, and social. Lots of time to focus later when I needed it. Its always great to run with Dave, he is such a keen runner, a real enthusiast. I'm glad he was there to share the first third of the race. Thanks pal. Before you know it we're across the bridge and the 10 K mat. Sussex was pleasant, then into Rockliffe. My family was waiting at the 15 K mark, near my brother's house. 2 nieces, 2 brothers, 2 parents, Heather the S.O., my dog Bud, and unknownst to me, the whole block were cheering me on, thanks to 4 year old nieces' "Go Uncle Sheldon"sign. Do I look happy or what? Image
You can see Dave about 20 meters back, I never saw him again after that. :cry: Immediately ran into AlfiefromPickering. He said he was finding it a tough day, we were close together for about 3 or 4 K. My family ran down Birch Ave to see me again at the 17 K mark, more pictures and movies.
Into New Edinburgh, there was a great cheering section there before Sussex. Back along that, seeing Holymoly again on the sidelines, and by the market and art gallery. I was feeling very good, it seemed easy going and right on track. Crossed the halfway mat in 1:50.
Part two, the canal out and back. According to my mantra, I knew the fun times were replaced with focus. Go time. Here, I was saying, stay comfortable. Concentrate not so much on pace, that should be steady, but on caring for your body. The distance seemed to fly by, beore I knew it I was at the 24 K Maniac cheering post. Irongirl was nice enough to remind me that Jacc was in front of me by about 3 minutes, and that i should try to catch him :shock: I shrugged it off, I was racing myself, that and 3 minutes seemed like a lot. Around 25 I had my third gel; plan was 5 K, 15, 25 and 35. I also drank at every water station, usually Gatorade. I find it better to regiment these things, in case I don't feel like it; I don't think about it, just do it according to plan.
From 25 K on my mantra was, "I'm comfy, I'm comfy." Telling myself that I was feeling good, and i was. Then I figured, the plan was to maybe stay comfy to 32 k, then maybe34. I knew it would get tough, question was when. I had a slight calf twinge start around 27 K, I treated it as a plus because it forced me not to push too hard too soon. Cooled it a bit through here and it was fine. Even out the farthest stretch of the canal, when the crowds thinned out, things seemed to be coming along quickly. Soon enough we were at the 30 K mat, then the big turnaround. Started to see people struggling here, and I was passing more all the time. The hill up the bridge didn't seem to bad, I caught myself charging up it a bit, NOT according to plan. Then we were heading home!
I knew about the arboreteum loop, and how it can seem depressing if you let it because you aren't making any progress towards the finish line. I was determined not to let it get to me. It was focus time. Less than a k later, back on track towards the line.
Around 37 K I caught up to Jacc, exchanged pleasantries, and powered past. Then we had the half marathon people join in after Dow's Lake, with a new set of challenges. It did get crowded, and many were struggling or just going slow. There was less order to the road, fast and slow people all mixed up. By this point, 38 K, I knew I was going to pull it off. I thought here of Robbie-T and his great advice as to what to do and how it would feel along this stretch. Thanks to you, mentor guy. I was having such a time, i had fun with the crowds weaving in and out to pass. It wasn't frustrating it was exhilarating! That's how good I was feeling, doing the math for my results. Last 2 Ks I finally was confident enough to kick it, last 2 splits were 4:57 and 4:39 pace. I didn't fade! I literally never slowed down the entire race; my only splits over 5:20 were the first (crowds) and the ones that I walked through the water stations. Final chip time was 3:40:56.8. That is a 5:16 pace. Garmin said I had gone 42.91 K at 5:09 pace. I had figured i would do around 3:50, and said I would be giddy if I broke 3:45. I'm giddy. As much as for my time, is that I did it strong end to end, and finished healthy.
Shortly after I crossed, my calfs and quads really started to hurt. Saw Run26.2, and got my medal from Bebette. Waiting to get my chip cut off, the pain really set in. Crowds here were nasty; I actually went around the food tent because it was so crazy, but then went back. As soon as I ate something, my muscles were fine! I sure didn't stick around for long, as soon as I found my ride I was out of there. In the rain I was shivering. At this point I was both ecstatic and miserable.
Back at brother's house i showered, ate, and laid on the couch all afternoon with equal parts napping, beer, and surfing RM an Sportstats. Off to a great M&G, good company and good food. Thanks everybody for all that.
Monday morning, we took the dog for a 3 K walk down by the river. Wasn't my idea, but it was a good one. I felt totally fine, just a little slow. Driving home 5 hours my calfs started to twitch a bit, and I was a little stiff getting out of the car. Really no big deal though, I've felt worse after a race before. I pulled it off! Injury free, and ahead of my dream time, I'm a happy guy. I thank you all.

P.S. I'm 4:58 to Boston. :o
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon May 28, 2007 9:41 pm

woohoo!! welcome to the marathon club! I'm one of the ones who had to think twice--"he hasn't done one yet??" lol

It sounds like you ran a really SMART and strategic race--which is great (and probably due to all your racing experience!). Awesome job!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Mon May 28, 2007 9:42 pm

Great race Sheldon; you are a natural.

I am happy that you enjoy the race.

I am sure that I'll see you in Boston!
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Mon May 28, 2007 9:48 pm

Excellent Sheldon!! You executed your plan perfectly. Boston baby 8)

JSmitty
Bill Crothers

Postby JSmitty » Mon May 28, 2007 9:49 pm

I said it at the meet and greet and I will say it again.
I AM TOTALLY HAPPY FOR YOU!! You rock!!

I am thinking about all the halfs you ran and how all the racing for 21k must have helped you. Makes me think of a new plan.

Again congrats and I see a BQ in the fall.
Cheers,
Jill

Ongoing plan :To start running, continue with eating habits, positive outlook.
OTTAWA HALF 2014

Mich
Bill Crothers

Postby Mich » Mon May 28, 2007 9:52 pm

Congrats on a great first marathon. When I saw you at the 25K mark you were looking really good and to the best of my knowledge doing well on time. Even mentioned that to Lorne when I found him in the finishing area. Nice meeting you on Sunday evening.
A workout is a series of exercises which help convert fats, sugars, and starches into aches, pains, and cramps. ~Author Unknown

5K Endurance D.D.O. 33:08 Aug.13 2008
PEC team Challenge Leg 3 - Oct.5 2008
Rattle Me Bones 10K 1:06:55 - Oct.26 2008

Double Yellow Headed Amazons http://www.mlaviaries.com

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Mon May 28, 2007 9:58 pm

I couldn't possibly be happier for you, Sheldon! I knew you had it in you. You are such a strong runner! When you're ready, Boston is yours.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Mon May 28, 2007 9:58 pm

All that Idiot racing has done you good! :lol:

Seriously, it's no wonder anyone is surprised this is your first, you are such an incredibly strong runner and this just proves it.

Congrats Sheldon, I am thrilled for you and have enjoyed following your journey to get you here...bravo!!
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Mon May 28, 2007 9:58 pm

Fantastic run Sheldon!!! You ran it like a marathon vet.

Lx2run
Tom Longboat

Postby Lx2run » Mon May 28, 2007 10:08 pm

Wow Sheldon :!:

I checked your time at work today (can't get onto RM there) and was floored. What a super time for your first time and progress from ATB.

Sounds like you had a great time running as well which is important.

So what's next?
Do all the good you are able to-
Any time you are able
Every way you are able
Every where you are able
For everyone you can...
Until you are able to again
-Haitian Proverb

markB
Bruce Kidd

Postby markB » Mon May 28, 2007 10:28 pm

you nailed that sucker. way to teach that course a lesson!

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Mon May 28, 2007 10:33 pm

wow - you ran that like a very experienced marathoner - no wonder folks think you've done them. you rocked.

Boston's yours baby!
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Mon May 28, 2007 10:41 pm

Well done Sheldon!
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Mon May 28, 2007 10:43 pm

Awesome run, Sheldon the (finally) marathoner!!! It must be so nice to nail your first marathon and rock all the way to the finish line. Wow, kudos to you, buddy.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Mon May 28, 2007 10:45 pm

Great report as usual Sheldon.

Even better is that time! You are truly an amazing athlete to achieve such a great time for your first marathon.

Congratulations man!!! :lol:

The Joggler
Bruce Kidd

Postby The Joggler » Mon May 28, 2007 11:09 pm

That's just not right! On your first marathon, you're supposed to bonk at 34K and crawl across the finish line sometime after dusk.

Congratulations!

scottp
Bruce Kidd

Postby scottp » Mon May 28, 2007 11:31 pm

Congrats on a nicely paced race and "bonkless" thon!

Scott

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Tue May 29, 2007 6:05 am

Wow, what an awesome marathon debut. Your race seems perfect!! I loved your report, especially that it holds alot of lessons for people like me :lol: Your mantra might well be my new mantra!!
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

runningman
Bruce Kidd

Postby runningman » Tue May 29, 2007 6:05 am

Sheldon, you ran an absolutely fantastic race and should be very proud of yourself. I always learn alot from your reports and really enjoy reading them. You sure ran this according to your plan, and it showed in a great result. Enjoy it. You deserve it.
Great job!

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Tue May 29, 2007 6:14 am

Outstanding, Sheldon!

Congratulations, MARATHONER!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue May 29, 2007 6:16 am

Now...that was a beautifully executed race :D You are an amazing runner...and a pretty nice guy too :wink:
I love the picture of Buddy and you. Buddy's stance tells me he is thinking..."What the #$% is my human doing" :roll: :roll:

I remain your every loyal fan....you are definitely on an express route to BQ :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Tue May 29, 2007 6:38 am

Way to go Sheldon!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue May 29, 2007 6:45 am

What a fabulous first marathon! I love how positive and upbeat your were! That picture is fabulous - sounds so nice to have so much family support out there. Congratulations.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

redhead
Bill Crothers

Postby redhead » Tue May 29, 2007 7:03 am

Congratulations on your marathon debut Sheldon. 3:40:56 is incredibly fast! Your story is an amazing one and your race report is a fine example of a man with goal and a plan on how to achieve it. You look so darn happy in that photo, like a big kid. What a race! That was a beautiful way to top off those 5000km.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue May 29, 2007 7:10 am

Congratulations, on a totally awesome marathon debut, sheldon .. :clap::whistle:

though, I was a bit disappointed that you were not wearing your orange snakeskin tights, however ... :lol: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Return to “Run/Race Reports”