Doonst Does Durham... 5 Peaks 12.1 K trail race

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Doonst Does Durham... 5 Peaks 12.1 K trail race

Postby Doonst » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:28 pm

It was a funny week leading up to this race. Sunday was a 2 hour bike ride, Monday 18 holes golf, Thursday I subbed in for my old baseball team for the first time this year. Tuesday I had a great run, (fastest pace training run ever I believe). Wednesday night I was exhausted, but I ran anyway, crappy run. Almost but not quite back up to speed today.

It was a beautiful day for a race, cool in the shade but quite warm in the sun.
I probably wouldn't have bothered doing this race if I wasn't in for the whole series. It was 2 weeks after my first marathon, and its the farthest 5 Peaks race from my house, 1 hour 25 minutes. Ran into AlfieFromPickering, then the group of dgrant, Mikkel, and Run4Cardio. Dave seemed pleased to hear that I wasn't at 100%. Must still be smarting from the spanking I gave him at NCM. :twisted: Pretty hard to use the "tired" card to a guy on his 5th race in 5 weeks though.

We started out in the 6th wave, they seemed smaller and closer together this time. I stayed behind Dave and Mikkel for most of the first K, which passed for us in 4:40. :shock: I was planning to go out easier this race, oh well. Then it got narrower and hillier, just sand hills with mild roots, nothing technical. First third went okay and then the sport distance peeled off just after 4 K. One more easier split, then we hit the wall. The trails here are named, probably because there primarily mountain bike trails. Here we went from "tight and twisty" to "long climb". Almost immediately, back down twisty singletrack for about a kilometre. The 8th K was called the"Wall of Pain", it took me 6:56. :evil: The only hill I've done that came to mind is the infamous "Gulch" in Sulphur Springs. Then straight into "Wild Ride", and more snakey downhills. At one point I saw two women walking down a hill. I was walking briskly up the steeper hills, most who passed me were caught at the top. Some got by me for good, but they got by everybody. I felt like I was running a bit off of my full tilt pace, still I passed 2 for every 1 that got by me. Often, in the singletrack,(60% of the course) there was a line of people and you had to really want to if you were going to pass. Finally, the last K was on a flat park gravel road. I didn't feel like I had much left but I passed the two women who I had been leapfrogging with all race, and another guy. It felt good to finish.

My time was 1:05:57, which put me 124/306 overall, 23/54 age group (40-49) and 101/194 gender. I didn't even break into the top half of men! That's a tough crowd. Dave and Mikkel beat me by 5 minutes, that's an amazing time on those hills. My pace was 5:25.

It was a fun day at the races, we swapped a few lies etc. after the race, saw our times posted, then hit the road. It wasn't an "A" race for me for sure, but it didn't hurt for long. The race was well organized, no complaints for once. Swag was Wrightsocks.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:29 pm

Well done! 8)
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:40 pm

Nice runnin', Sheldon ... :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

redhead
Bill Crothers

Postby redhead » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:41 pm

Yay Doonst! Really nice job on a tough course. Never met a man yet that didn't enjoy swapping lies with other guys. (I'm sure Dave was VERY pleased you weren't at 100%, LOL!)

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:41 pm

great job Sheldon - sounds challenging!
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

AlfiefromPickering
Bill Crothers

Postby AlfiefromPickering » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:42 pm

It was nice seeing you and the other maniacs as well. You did great under your circumstances. At least you beat me!!
I am in love with the President of Argentina .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhf5iInIWEs mamacita preciosa
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZ39iEw80M. She is 63 is 2016.... meaning 10 years older than I. I guess I'm into mature girls .....

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:34 pm

Nice report Doonst, any day running is good.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:52 pm

Good job Sheldon!
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:04 pm

You know it's a tough course when just reading about it makes you feel tired. Way to go Doonst !!!
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:47 pm

Right on doonst. That's a strong time on that course with the week you've had. And, anyway, you have bigger fish to fry with the NYCQ attempt in two weeks.

Rest up!

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:17 pm

Sounds like a nice run on a nice day - good job
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:28 am

Good job Doonst! Great day for a trail run. 8)
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:02 am

dgrant wrote:Right on doonst. That's a strong time on that course with the week you've had. And, anyway, you have bigger fish to fry with the NYCQ attempt in two weeks.

Rest up!

Yep...what Dave said...your NYC qualifier is around the corner.

Glad to hear you sounding so upbeat :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:07 pm

You're running well, Sheldon. Nice race in the park after a long week. Your A races this year will be A for Awesome.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:39 pm

I think you did great, Sheldon- you are coming back really quickly after NCM. Awesome job!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:27 pm

Great report and run Sheldon. I continue to be impressed with your results on difficult courses with little down time! :lol:

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:25 pm

Good job Sheldon!
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:26 pm

sounds like a great run, especially so soon after NCM - congrats!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:32 pm

Great run!

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:04 am

Great job Sheldon!
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:29 am

Sheldon, once again - you're on track for another great season by the looks of things....

8)
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:32 am

Wow, well done man!
No doubt you won't let that upstart Dave beat you next time... :wink: :lol:

I can't imagine what you guys could dream up for an idiot tour these days... you never stop racing!
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:36 am

Nice job - You sound like you are getting your trail legs nicely. Keep this up and ITT will be a "walk in the park"
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:18 am

Sound like a really fun run. So you lost to Dave, oh well.... in the end, it comes down to to the simple answer to the question:

Who's gonna BQ? :wink:

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:28 am

mcshame wrote:Sound like a really fun run. So you lost to Dave, oh well.... in the end, it comes down to to the simple answer to the question:

Who's gonna BQ? :wink:

ouch.

Great work Sheldon.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”