Victory is off-dry:Niagara Ultra Half

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Victory is off-dry:Niagara Ultra Half

Postby Doonst » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:38 pm

Started out feeling like the fall tour. Early morning: up at 4:15 and on the road at 5:15. Plus I'm running a half marathon, and after feeling tired and sore all week, I'm better on race day. Heat on in the car heading down, that's a good sign.
Arrive in Niagara on the Lake at 6:45, plenty of time to talk to Kinga and Alfie (the one from Pickering) before they head out at 7 for the 50 K. Lots of time to prepare for my race at 7:30. I'm the only Maniac in the half it seems, but I recognize some people I know, notably Rollo Joe from Ryne's Bruce Trail Adventure.
My plan is to go out hard from the start. Doing lots of halfs last year taught me a few things about pacing. My fastest times, although only slightly, were in races when I went out "optimistically" and was fading at the end. Within reason, it just seems to work best for me.
No chip timing, but there is a clock. I line up about second tier, and we're off. I seem to be only about 10 back, (out of 95). By the time we hit the main trail at the 1 mile mark, maybe 2 guys and 3 women get past me. First K split took 4:20. :shock: I guess I am going for it. I tuck in behind the last women who had passed me, and pace off her until the 5 K aid station. Second split was 4:25. 5 k came in 22:33, about 30 seconds off my 5 K best. As usual, i walk through the water stop for about 10-15 seconds. 2 guys blow by me, then 2 more just as get going. I'll have to rethink that plan, running at this level. That split was my slowest at 4:51.
I was hoping that a half would seem shorter after training for a full, and it sorta did. I settled into 4:40s for the next 5, right on track. I was pushing, but hopefully not beyond what i could sustain. My new sore knee was there, but didn't feel like it would go critical. Around 9 K we saw the leaders coming back at us after the turnaround. I was with a group of 3 others, all who had passed me at the stop. Another aid station at 10 K, came at 46:08. Exactly 2 minutes faster than my PB from the Wolfe. Gotta do another 10 K some day. :? Halfway turnaround was at 48:30. That was very good to see, it should be a good day. Double that and I have a 1:37. Yeah right.
It was good to be heading back, no surprises now,. I figured about 15-20 people in front of us. The group of four dropped one guy right after the turn, then another after 2 more k. He said, "way to go" as I passed him. Just me and another guy left, he has a shirt from local Runner's Den store. A lot of runners coming at us greet him. By the 13the k i am finding it hard to keep on him, then I notice that he is picking up the pace, 4:31. My average pace at the half was 4:37. I back off and let him go, even so next split is 4:36, and he's walked away. I keep him in sight though, its a mostly straight and flat course so you can see a ways. Very scenic course, about 80 % shade; temp is 14-16 during the half.
After he's gone i just cruise for a while, watching my average pace slowly creep up. Last water stop is at 16 K, getting pretty lonely here. Just gotta hang on and I've got a good race. Gets lots tougher, feels slower. One more minor goal is to do all splits under 5:00, I have never quite done that. Finally up ahead I see the guy in front of me turning left off the path, that means one mile to go. Then my turn, slowly pick up the pace a bit to empty the tank. Last stretch is across some grass, then the finish line. Time on the clock says, 1:37:xx. Baby baby.

Final time:1:37:21. PB by 4:29. Average pace 4:39. Halfway splits:48:30 and 48:51. Plateau be d@mned. 18th out of 95. Eventually I ask the timer if he can tell age-group stuff. But he's pretty busy. I try him again 20 minutes later, he say, it looks like you're first. No frackin way. There are only prizes for first place in 3 age groups, (X 2 sexes) and I get one of them. Not so bad getting old. I had 2 waters, 2 coffees, a sub, and 2 beers (yes free beer Dave) by the time they called me up to get my plaque and bottle of wine. I'm happy.
Really nice race, if you get a cool day like today. warmed up a bit for the 50 K folk I'm sure. I would recommend it highly. YMMV.
Oh yeah, if they accept the course as certified, that gets me entry into NYC Marathon. The 50 K is certified, and they just measured up from the 10 K certified mark for the half turnaround. In a non-certified way. 50 has been accepted for BQ. Oh well, I now know I could do it again if I have to. Swag included a cotton hoody, and a personised keychain.

next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:43 pm

wow! I'm so impressed! Congrats on the mondo pb and the hardware!! :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:46 pm

Sweet!

Way to go Sheldon!
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:50 pm

That is freakin' sweet!!!!!!! I'm PRAYING they get the certification in order so you get the NYC pass. Lotteries be damned! Beer, wine, subs, plaques... what a day at the races.

The first thing Lisa just said was "He's faster than you now dude."

I said "I know."

mlazenby
Bill Crothers

Postby mlazenby » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:54 pm

That is fantastic. Nice payoff Sheldon. :D

I enjoyed having that 3 second margin over you while it lasted. Don't think I'll ever get it back now. 1:38 is my fantasy HM time. :wink:
Hola!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:18 pm

Oh my oh my...I never realized last year when I signed on to be Your Fan that you would turn into a Speed Bullet. :shock:

Yep...I'm Your Fan...You're My Man :wink:

Awesome race Sheldon...bask in the glory...2007 Race Season belongs to you :D :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:18 pm

Nice job, congratulations!
Love life, eat plants, do yoga.

redhead
Bill Crothers

Postby redhead » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:22 pm

Huge congratulations Sheldon! What a race. I'm sorry I missed seeing you come across the finish line. You had raced, refueled, got your awards and were gone before I even arrived in NOTL. :-)

SPEED thy name is Sheldon!!

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:36 pm

WOW Sheldon!

So far, being in a new age category agrees with you!

You are such a smart and calm person out there... I can only imagine how far you are going to go..

Congrats on the NYCQ! You've earned it baby 8)
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Portentous
Bill Crothers

Postby Portentous » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:38 pm

Wow, great race, great report, and impressive schwag & hardware. That sounds as good as racing gets!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:52 pm

Great racing! Looks like you got some great loot to go with your PB!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:02 pm

Woo Hoo Sheldon!! Sweet!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:04 pm

Holy ****!! Sheldon that's awesome! You are truly awesome. AND you beat Dave's PB time... :twisted: but I'm sure you knew that... :angel:
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:24 pm

Nice PB!!!!
Love the schwag!
:D
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:27 pm

Doonster!! Super Doonster!!! man I thought you could go sub 1:40 but this is an amazing jump, great work I'm very impressed.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Prairiekid
Bill Crothers

Postby Prairiekid » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:27 pm

Nice work! Isn't it great when the weather, the course, the swag, the clock and your legs all cooperate? Impressive!
Boston Marathon Finisher, April 21, 2008
Read about my Around the World Adventure at Go See Run Eat Drink

AlfiefromPickering
Bill Crothers

Postby AlfiefromPickering » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:29 pm

Congratulations Sheldon. Too bad you did not stay to watch the idiots like me doing the 50 K and almost dying at the finish line!
I am in love with the President of Argentina .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhf5iInIWEs mamacita preciosa
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZ39iEw80M. She is 63 is 2016.... meaning 10 years older than I. I guess I'm into mature girls .....

msdesigner
Jerome Drayton

Postby msdesigner » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:32 pm

just quickly popping online but I have to CONGRATULATE you!!
Way to go on the win. Nice going on the incredible PB.. :D
Running 26.2 miles is not limited by physical capabilities but rather by the mind.
Uta Pippig

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:45 pm

Great run!

Congratulations!
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:54 pm

Congratulations, dude ... :clap: awesome, sheldon, totally awesome .... :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

runningman
Bruce Kidd

Postby runningman » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:20 pm

Man, you must be so pumped. Two really, really solid races in a row! Congratulations!

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:18 pm

Well done!! :clap: :clap:

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:37 pm

Wow, great race Sheldon!!! To shave 4 minutes off your time at that pace is a truly remarkable achievement. Congrats on a sweet PB. Enjoy the wine but it might be difficult to drink with that big smile plastered on your face....
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:48 pm

1st place and a monster PB! fantastic!!! congratulations!!! :clap:

JSmitty
Bill Crothers

Postby JSmitty » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:50 pm

Sheldon, you continually improve on each race. You are a smart runner and all your hard training and patience has paid off for you.
I can hardly wait to hear about your BQ.
Cheers,
Jill

Ongoing plan :To start running, continue with eating habits, positive outlook.
OTTAWA HALF 2014

Return to “Run/Race Reports”