Doonst returns to Damn Tuff Ruff Bluff Run

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Doonst returns to Damn Tuff Ruff Bluff Run

Postby Doonst » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:04 pm

The Damn Tuff Ruff Bluff Run is a trail race in Owen Sound Ontario, distance choices are 25 k and 50 K. Yesterday I ran the 25, same as I did last year. There are lots of pictures in my previous race report: http://www.runningmania.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9017
Last year we camped right on sight, this year being a bachelor for the summer I just drove up in the morning. Stats on that: up at 4:40, driving at 5:40, 150 K drive arriving at 7:20. It was a beautiful cool sunny morning. I met up with Kinga and her husband "the Viking", Mike Lazenby, and a good friend from Toronto and her running friends that I have come to know from races.
One goal for the day was to get somewhat more even half splits. It is a 12.5 K course that I did twice. Last year I went out too fast and took almost 6 minutes longer the second loop. Even so, it seemed crowded once we quickly got on the singletrack, so I was pressured to keep up with traffic, and even pass people in my way. By 3 K in, after climbing a hill, I noticed that I was already dripping sweat, so much for the cool day! The first half of each loop is much tougher than the second, being a 120 M net uphill. I swear we climb the escarpment twice around the 4-6 K marks, but the elevation profile says we go like up 3 down 2, up 5 down 2. At the top of the biggest hill, my thoughts were, man that's gonna be just a bit harder next time around.
It turned out to be a more technical course than I remembered. Running it for the first time last year, I knew just this about it then: it was partly on the Bruce Trail, it went up the escarpment at Inglis Falls, and it had a scary name. So last year, it didn't end up to be as tough as I expected. This year, that's what I remembered, but in fact it is a medium difficult course. There are roots and rocks and hills in abundance, but also flat graded sections and even a 1 K paved road section. My split this year ranged from 4:31 (road, downhill, first loop) to 7:32 (uphill, roots, second loop).
Last year my times were 1:11:03/1:15:38 for a 2:26:41. Of course I wanted to improve on that. I figured 2 minutes better would be okay, 5 would be very good, and beating 2:20 would be great but ambitious. This year I came through after one loop at 1:08:23, so I figures maybe I had a shot at that.
The second loop is just so much harder. Especially at the hills and tough terrain, you really notice that you don't have the push that you had first time. I figured I had to be within 10-15 seconds per K second time. No way. I did it barely on the easy stuff, but the big hill split was over 60 seconds longer second time around. The nicest thing about this course is that the last 5 K of each loop is relatively smooth and downhill. I pushed on and eventually caught a group of 6 people. As they disbanded near the end, you could tell which ones were running the 50 K: the ones I passed. Coming across the finish I saw the clock at 2:20 already, my final time 2:20:42. Six minutes improvement. I'm pretty happy with that, I know its the best I could do. I ran it as hard and as smart as I could, still a little room for improvement though. It sure is easy being hard on yourself in a trail race. Second loop took 1:12:19, a little more even but not as close as hoped.
Last year I came in 20th out of 80, this year 29th out of 84, even though I was over 6 minutes faster. I was 6th in men over 50, last year I would have been 3rd. Fastest man over 50 came in second, course record for that age group, in 1:46. I'm told he is a 2:45 marathoner though, so the fact that he was over a minute per K faster than me sounds about right. Yikes.
After the race there was cookies and fruit at the finish line, then sandwiches and pasta salad over at the community center race headquarters. Finishing "medals" were beer cozies. Shirts were white tech tees. Everybody seemed to do well and had a good time. There were massages, and a pool and showers to use. Most people stayed up for the weekend, but I just screamed home to my waiting puppy.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:08 pm

Nice run Doonst, you are definitely ready for ITT
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:08 pm

Awesome, Sheldon ... Congrats on another race and PB .. you just keep on ticking and ticking, eh !!! :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:22 pm

Another great race...you truly are a Running Machine :D

:shock: Puppy...did I miss something...do you have a new furfriend?? :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

mlazenby
Bill Crothers

Postby mlazenby » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:22 pm

Fantastic run Sheldon. Hearing your great time at the halfway point gave me a real boost to push hard on that critical third lap.

You're absolutely right: that course was WAY more technical than I remember it. I think that all that heavy rain must have washed away some of the dirt leaving a lot more exposed rocks and roots. At least it felt that way - my feet were sore at the end. I bet it was hard to keep that pace going heading up that long, greasy, rocky stretch at 3.5 km!

See you at ITT.
Hola!

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:28 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:Another great race...you truly are a Running Machine :D

:shock: Puppy...did I miss something...do you have a new furfriend?? :D

Nah, the old guy just thinks he's a puppy, just like his master.

Mike, my feet hurt too. Have you seen the ITT course description here? http://ouser.org/results/00/it00.htm Hey, we'll finally run the same distance!

Robbie, I think I'll go sign up for the ITT now. I didn't fall apart yesterday, I'm good to go!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:35 pm

Sheldon...thanks for the update...I was worried that something had happened to Buddy. :cry:

Yep...Like Master :wink: :wink:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:36 pm

great race Sheldon -that sounds like a crazy technical run to me
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

Lx2run
Tom Longboat

Postby Lx2run » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:17 pm

Sheldon

Thanks for the great report. Nice run for the rocky conditions. Sounds like you had a good time.
Do all the good you are able to-
Any time you are able
Every way you are able
Every where you are able
For everyone you can...
Until you are able to again
-Haitian Proverb

arestall320
Bill Crothers

Postby arestall320 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:46 pm

Congratulations on your 6min improvement :D
"I don’t train. I just run my 3-15 miles a day."
Jack Foster

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:50 pm

As usual you write a superb report , Sheldon. You achieved a great result as well. You have become a running machine!!

Congratulations!

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:11 pm

Week in/week out...you rock Sheldon!!!

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:11 pm

SHeldon, you are so resilient and such an incredible runner... congrats !!
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:16 pm

Yup, a bonified running machine! :D
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

AlfiefromPickering
Bill Crothers

Postby AlfiefromPickering » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:34 pm

From your report, it sounds that you had a great day in Owen Sound. I already told you that I feel so sad that I missed that race due to my cold, which has not gone away yet. Congrats....you're rocking at every race!
I am in love with the President of Argentina .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhf5iInIWEs mamacita preciosa
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZ39iEw80M. She is 63 is 2016.... meaning 10 years older than I. I guess I'm into mature girls .....

msdesigner
Jerome Drayton

Postby msdesigner » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:44 pm

Way to push it, Sheldon. Congrats on the awesome PB! It sure sounds like they named that race appropriately! :wink:
Running 26.2 miles is not limited by physical capabilities but rather by the mind.
Uta Pippig

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:01 am

Way to go Sheldon..

6 minutes on a course that even YOU describe as technical & difficult.. :wink:

Nothing to sneeze at!
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:36 am

It's cool that you were able to compare your results to last year- it sounds like in trail races that is the best way to see if you are improving. Six minutes sounds like a huge improvement to me over that distance- way to go! That is a lot of driving... wow!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

redhead
Bill Crothers

Postby redhead » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:53 am

Way to go Doonst. You're fast no matter what the terrain. Congrats on your Damn Tuff Ruff Bluff 6 minute PB.
-:¦:-.•:*♥*:•.-:¦:--
"If you can’t fly, run.
If you can’t run, walk.
If you can’t walk, crawl,
but by all means keep moving."
-- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:05 pm

Doonst wrote:Robbie, I think I'll go sign up for the ITT now. I didn't fall apart yesterday, I'm good to go!

I just signed up too, I better set up a date with you to test the trail test.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Amber-Leigh
Johnny Miles

Postby Amber-Leigh » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:23 pm

Wow way to go, great improvment! Sounds like a fun run.

Amber-Leigh
Amber-Leigh
Done:
March 25-ATB w/ a_beacher
May 13- London Half

Up Next: Toronto Half

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" -Geaorge Elliot

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:15 pm

Way to go, Doonst! Getting faster every year.
It was great to see you and chat a bit last Saturday.
Good luck at ITT. I am so not going there this year.
Ultrarunner again

Return to “Run/Race Reports”