Robbie-T @ ITT plus pics

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
User avatar
Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 6340
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:44 am
Location: Awesome World
Contact:

Robbie-T @ ITT plus pics

Postby Robbie-T » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:09 pm

Well there is no need to repeat all the details of the race, see Doonst's report if you want the details of the course. He pretty much paints it perfectly.

My first OUS race, and longest trail race. I was excited and nervous. My goal was 3:10, happy to be under 3:15 and whisper goal to get close to 3:00, from what I read and heard about the course I wasn't going to try to break 3:00.

I got to the race to see the early birds away, spoke to the RD, met up with the Striders and Doonst, and we were off. Initially I took off like a rabbit but through on the brakes and trotted with Strider until we hit the bush for the first 8k. I passed a whack of people in there and finally found my position.
Got back to the school about 42min (if that is the 8k marker), (thought I was faster then this, garmin doesn't lie though) I was being a bit cautious giving the course the respect it deserves. On the way out I was running close with another ITT rookie for a while, passed him at an aid station and took my turn at the lead, he fell off after a short time. After that I was on my own, since I have never been on that part of the Bruce Trail I was constantly scanning for trail blazes, powder markers on the ground and then trying to get footing, this kept me wide awake.

Made it to the turn around 1:48, I knew that if I could get here before 1:50 I had a good shot to brake 3:00. Still on my own and knowing the route now I booked it for home on a mission, saw Strider then Doosnt, I was bouncing through and over the rocks like a mountain goat, I just let go and went with it, I was totally focused going through all the technical parts. My calves started cramping with about 8k to go, but just kept pushing through it.

Sprinted into the finish to try to beat one last runner, saw my happy family waiting for me at the finish, I smiled and waved as I flew by.

On the way out I was 1:05:45 on the way back 1:05:12, caught up to three guys that made it to the turn around point 3 minutes ahead of me, passed one and was with 10s of over taking the other two.

Final time 2:53:17, pace 5:25, 16th overall, 7/27 in my age group <40.

Loved the race, loved the course. Very challenging course but Doonst I was expecting worse.

Image
Image
Image
Last edited by Robbie-T on Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

User avatar
Doonst
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 10598
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:17 pm
Location: the corner of Sixth and Where Do I Go?
Contact:

Postby Doonst » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:22 pm

If that was a trail test, then you are the teacher's pet. A+. Absolutely outstanding, you are right up there with some big names in ultras. You must have been focussed to travel over that terrain so fast. Oh, and any race that makes Robbie-T cramp up can't be too easy. :lol:
next up:


This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

User avatar
Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 6340
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:44 am
Location: Awesome World
Contact:

Postby Robbie-T » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:26 pm

pictures added, see that key chain hanging from Strider's finger, Doonst doesn't have one :wink:
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

User avatar
Doonst
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 10598
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:17 pm
Location: the corner of Sixth and Where Do I Go?
Contact:

Postby Doonst » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:33 pm

Robbie-T wrote:pictures added, see that key chain hanging from Strider's finger, Doonst doesn't have one :wink:

Hey shouldn't you have a green rock? Who's side are you on?
next up:


This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

User avatar
mlazenby
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1590
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:38 am
Location: Stayner, ON
Contact:

Postby mlazenby » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:43 am

Wow.

:shock:
Hola!

BJH
Lynn Williams
Posts: 18924
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:04 am
Location: Midtown Toronto

Postby BJH » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:43 am

Way to go Robbie-T! That is some pretty fast running. I like how you are all changed after the race tnd the other guys haven't had a chance to yet. :P
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

User avatar
Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 6340
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:44 am
Location: Awesome World
Contact:

Postby Robbie-T » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:13 am

Doonst wrote:
Robbie-T wrote:pictures added, see that key chain hanging from Strider's finger, Doonst doesn't have one :wink:

Hey shouldn't you have a green rock? Who's side are you on?


Yeah, I'm playing both sides. Why didn't I get a green one? oh well the time on it is correct ;-)
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Marg
Site Admin
Posts: 13480
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Ottawa

Postby Marg » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:17 am

And you laugh at my comment about your future 1/2m time....

Seriously Rob, that is just mind blowing... congrats. Though I shouldn't be by now, I still am always amazed at your races. The improvement is just so awesome to watch... Congrats!! 8)
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

User avatar
QuickChick
Lynn Williams
Posts: 13274
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:52 pm
Location: Whitby ON

Postby QuickChick » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:24 am

Wow, awesome result! What is the key chain for- breaking 3 hours?
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

User avatar
AlfiefromPickering
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1140
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:34 pm
Location: Pickering, Ontario Мать Россия
Contact:

Postby AlfiefromPickering » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:28 am

Congratulations. Is there any maniac faster than you in trail races?
I am in love with the President of Argentina .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhf5iInIWEs mamacita preciosa
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZ39iEw80M. She is 63 is 2016.... meaning 10 years older than I. I guess I'm into mature girls .....

User avatar
Doonst
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 10598
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:17 pm
Location: the corner of Sixth and Where Do I Go?
Contact:

Postby Doonst » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:31 am

QuickChick wrote:Wow, awesome result! What is the key chain for- breaking 3 hours?


No, they split you arbitrarily into two teams, Tobermory and Niagara. Their team won.

A little perspective on Robbie's result:
Not only did you not get chicked, you beat the first place woman by over 10 minutes. You beat the women's course record of 2:57; only 3 women have ever come in under 3 hours. Some years your time would put you top ten, with winner's time the same as this year.

Ryne has come in 3rd, 4th, and 6th before, and Spaff has come in 2nd and 3rd with a best of 2:35.
next up:


This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

User avatar
Sandra
Bill Crothers
Posts: 2195
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Tottenham, Ontario

Postby Sandra » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:15 am

You are fast! Great report and awesome results! Way to go!
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

User avatar
Nicholas
Site Admin
Posts: 14202
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:00 am
Location: Ottawa

Postby Nicholas » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:41 pm

Fast on the roads and fast in the woods. Great run, Rob.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

User avatar
ChrisL
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 7860
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

Postby ChrisL » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:43 pm

Great run Robbie.

An usual you did not dissapoint!
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

User avatar
HCcD
Donovan Bailey
Posts: 60022
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:05 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Postby HCcD » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:46 pm

Congrats on another awesome performance, Robbie-T ... :clap::clap: :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

User avatar
mlazenby
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1590
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:38 am
Location: Stayner, ON
Contact:

Postby mlazenby » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:47 pm

Hey Rob, I checked the ITT results and saw that you live in Erin. I drove through there several times on my way to a customer in Halton Hills and always imagined it would be the greatest place to live and run from. Is it?
Hola!

User avatar
Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 6340
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:44 am
Location: Awesome World
Contact:

Postby Robbie-T » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:52 pm

mlazenby wrote:Hey Rob, I checked the ITT results and saw that you live in Erin. I drove through there several times on my way to a customer in Halton Hills and always imagined it would be the greatest place to live and run from. Is it?


I've lived here about 6 years, I'd say yes, there are endless directions to run, the gravel roads are interesting, peaceful and pretty, a couple rail trails within a few km's, the Bruce Trail within 8-9k, the Niagara Escarpment that I never tire running up an down. Definitely.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

User avatar
runjanerun
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 5078
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:15 pm
Location: Trenton

Postby runjanerun » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:00 pm

Great race! That sure is fast for the trails!
Jane
________________________

User avatar
mlazenby
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1590
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:38 am
Location: Stayner, ON
Contact:

Postby mlazenby » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:07 pm

Robbie-T wrote:
mlazenby wrote:Hey Rob, I checked the ITT results and saw that you live in Erin. I drove through there several times on my way to a customer in Halton Hills and always imagined it would be the greatest place to live and run from. Is it?


I've lived here about 6 years, I'd say yes, there are endless directions to run, the gravel roads are interesting, peaceful and pretty, a couple rail trails within a few km's, the Bruce Trail within 8-9k, the Niagara Escarpment that I never tire running up an down. Definitely.


Cool.

It is so intriquing that Erin means Ireland. Somehow the nomenclature fascinates me. Can you take me out for a run there sometime? Maybe a 20k?
Hola!

User avatar
Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 6340
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:44 am
Location: Awesome World
Contact:

Postby Robbie-T » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:49 pm

mlazenby wrote:
Robbie-T wrote:
mlazenby wrote:Hey Rob, I checked the ITT results and saw that you live in Erin. I drove through there several times on my way to a customer in Halton Hills and always imagined it would be the greatest place to live and run from. Is it?


I've lived here about 6 years, I'd say yes, there are endless directions to run, the gravel roads are interesting, peaceful and pretty, a couple rail trails within a few km's, the Bruce Trail within 8-9k, the Niagara Escarpment that I never tire running up an down. Definitely.


Cool.

It is so intriquing that Erin means Ireland. Somehow the nomenclature fascinates me. Can you take me out for a run there sometime? Maybe a 20k?


For sure, maybe down to Terra Cotta, around the Egg Nog Jog route and back or out down the Grange Road and hit the big Grange Hill, something like that, both are nice routes, or a nice easy cruise down the Cataract Trail, maybe Doonst will join us too. Sundays are generally best.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

User avatar
Doonst
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 10598
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:17 pm
Location: the corner of Sixth and Where Do I Go?
Contact:

Postby Doonst » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:13 pm

Robbie-T wrote:
mlazenby wrote:
Robbie-T wrote:
mlazenby wrote:Hey Rob, I checked the ITT results and saw that you live in Erin. I drove through there several times on my way to a customer in Halton Hills and always imagined it would be the greatest place to live and run from. Is it?


I've lived here about 6 years, I'd say yes, there are endless directions to run, the gravel roads are interesting, peaceful and pretty, a couple rail trails within a few km's, the Bruce Trail within 8-9k, the Niagara Escarpment that I never tire running up an down. Definitely.


Cool.

It is so intriquing that Erin means Ireland. Somehow the nomenclature fascinates me. Can you take me out for a run there sometime? Maybe a 20k?


For sure, maybe down to Terra Cotta, around the Egg Nog Jog route and back or out down the Grange Road and hit the big Grange Hill, something like that, both are nice routes, or a nice easy cruise down the Cataract Trail, maybe Doonst will join us too. Sundays are generally best.


Sounds like fun. So, around a 4 minute pace I expect Robbie?
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1243695

Or we could just invite Mike down for the Egg Nog Jog in December.
next up:


This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

User avatar
scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams
Posts: 19368
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:50 am
Location: Ottawa

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:17 pm

Congratulations! You SMASHED your goal!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

User avatar
Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 6340
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:44 am
Location: Awesome World
Contact:

Postby Robbie-T » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:21 pm

Doonst wrote:
Robbie-T wrote:
mlazenby wrote:
Robbie-T wrote:
mlazenby wrote:Hey Rob, I checked the ITT results and saw that you live in Erin. I drove through there several times on my way to a customer in Halton Hills and always imagined it would be the greatest place to live and run from. Is it?


I've lived here about 6 years, I'd say yes, there are endless directions to run, the gravel roads are interesting, peaceful and pretty, a couple rail trails within a few km's, the Bruce Trail within 8-9k, the Niagara Escarpment that I never tire running up an down. Definitely.


Cool.

It is so intriquing that Erin means Ireland. Somehow the nomenclature fascinates me. Can you take me out for a run there sometime? Maybe a 20k?


For sure, maybe down to Terra Cotta, around the Egg Nog Jog route and back or out down the Grange Road and hit the big Grange Hill, something like that, both are nice routes, or a nice easy cruise down the Cataract Trail, maybe Doonst will join us too. Sundays are generally best.


Sounds like fun. So, around a 4 minute pace I expect Robbie?
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1243695

Or we could just invite Mike down for the Egg Nog Jog in December.


It's a must do race.

I'm, about 4k from the start of Doonst's map, looks like a fun route. If you take him through Terra Cotta, you might as well do the Egg Nog hill on the way home. Would only add a couple more ks.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

User avatar
Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 6340
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:44 am
Location: Awesome World
Contact:

Postby Robbie-T » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:39 pm

Doonst wrote:So, around a 4 minute pace I expect Robbie?


Sounds reasonable, since there are no rocks to bounce around.
Maybe get a few folks up from the GTA too? (Grant) I'm good for almost any Sunday in the first half of Sept or the first half of Oct. then any Sunday after Nov 4. Just let me know.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

User avatar
ultraslacker
Site Admin
Posts: 46890
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:33 pm
Location: paradise
Contact:

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:56 pm

Awesome job, Robbie! I'm impressed!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)


First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus


Return to “Run/Race Reports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests