Doonst does Iroquoia Trail Test (32K), gets a solid B

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Doonst does Iroquoia Trail Test (32K), gets a solid B

Postby Doonst » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:01 pm

I wanted to do this race last year, but took a pass to be fresh for the RM Fall Tour 10 in 10. It's less than a half hour from home, its all on my beloved Bruce Trail, and it has a bit of a rep. "Only" 32 K, it does count for points in the Ontario Ultra Series; it's motto in the brochure is "not ultra long, but ultra tough". I've hiked it all, done long runs on most, and short races on parts of it, but still you never know what something is like until you do it at race pace.
A late night at the Brampton M&G was just the thing to take my mind of the race. Arriving at the race around 7:15, quickly ran into Strider and Mrs, then Robbie-T. Looked over the map of course changes, when the Bruce Trail reroutes, so does the race. They say this might be the last year doing the big rock scramble up and down the Nassagaweya Canyon, of Rattlesnake Point race fame. I was thinking that the changes might add a couple minutes, but it's all in the details. They definitely added tougher stuff than was cut out, but total distance might have changed. Rumour has it that it has been long for a few years.
First off we do a southern loop, a bit of road then down a singletrack into Bronte Creek canyon. Going down the road, I knew I was going too fast when I could hear Robbie and Dave talking. First K split, 4:40. Then on the trail, you had to keep up with traffic. Some rollers, then down the big hill. You are supposed to go through the creek, I'd say 3 out of 4 that I saw took the bridge. Not me, I didn't come to a tough race to take shortcuts, into the creek go. Very shallow this year, ankle deep. Fast sandy loop beside the river, back through the creek, and back up the big ravine. Still pretty crowded. Back on the road, I realize that I am ahead of planned pace. The worst thing for me in a race is stress; main 2 causes of stress are thinking that I am going too fast or too slow. Not a great start, well good in time but not in feeling. I cross the mat at the start line around 43 minutes for 8 K, I planned on 45-46.
Ditched my long sleeve shirt, downed a gel with water, and picked up my fuel belt from the grandstands. On to part two.
After about 1 K, we cross Derry Road and onto the "real" trail. This is my kind of trail now, dirt, rocks, roots, just rolling. All of a sudden I feel at home. Fairly flat for 3 K until Twiss Road, much better now. Crossing Twiss there is a nasty hill, almost climbing. Still its short, and the rocky section at the top quickly turns into logging road. One bonus of race pace is that the tough sections seem shorter! More slow rocks just before reaching Guelph Line. Everybody near me here is worried that we might be off course because its so nasty, but I assure them that we follow the white markers on the trees, not the easy road.
There is a water stop at every road I think, crossing Guelph Line it gets easy again. Then onto the new section. The first half is not bad, new groomed gravel then sandy double track. Second part is classic Bruce trail rocky cliff edge/side; rolling and rocky. Around this part we start to see the first people returning that did the early 7 AM start. In spots this adds some fun for the rest of the race. Back on the old trail, along the top of Nassagaweya Canyon. This is a tricky bit, slightly downhill but knarly bedrock reefs. I trip and go down to one hand once, but never off my feet. The big rocky downhill is as always, some people get scared and let you by. At the bottom is another reroute, to make up for the 4 k of new trail up top. Instead of the nice fast canyon bottom stretch and easy climb up the other side, we immediately go right up a steeper climb. Steep at first then flatter, finishes off steep too. At least I am running uphill when Robbie passes me going back, I didn't run the whole thing. Fairly quick section next heading out to the turnaround at Appleby Line, uphill at the end. We have to edge into the burr bushes as we pass the faster returning runners. There was a timing mat at the turnaround, on the road. I had my second gel here at 20 K. Time here was 2:03, so 1:20 on the way out after first 8 K loop. Now I am right on track for my whisper goal pace, all I have to do is bring it home. One thing I have learned though, is that your pace in trail races can fall to pieces really quick. Same terrain in reverse, I won't describe it all again. One woman went flying by me on the canyon descent, she ended up third place woman. Strangely I stayed with her up the other rocky side, then she was gone at the top. Feeling pretty good through here actually, even after 2 and a half hours. Then with about 7 k to go, I start feeling twinges, muscles threatening to cramp up. Both calves, and one ITB. Only when I climb up something, jump over, or hammer uphill. Only thing I can do is take it a bit easier and drink the rest of my Eload. Oh well, an excuse to slow down a bit. It never goes away, but it also never goes south on me. Even so, I pass a few people and not many pass me, others are hurting here too. Third gel at Guelph Line station, then the two tough spots before Twiss. After the last aid station there, I know its going to be okay. 4 k to go, mostly relatively easy. One guy passes me, and we're just criusin'. Then on an easy dirt path he goes right down. Gotta be careful in the last ten minutes, when you're tired and sloppy. I'm doing the math, wondering if I can actually bring it in under my whisper goal of 3:30. My marathon time, 3:40, is my stated goal. The one thing the Garmin can't tell me is the actual distance that the race will be this year. It's not until there's 2 minutes left that I see I'm good. I don't dare risk a sprint, that's how close to seizing up I am. Final time was 3:27:54. I'll take it! "Back" section took 1:24, vs 1:20 out.
Muscles got sore after stopping, just like in my marathon. Oh it hurt to try and undo my shoes! I swear it took 5 minutes of agony to change my socks and shoes. A little food cured that, barbequed chicken legs and salads. Without giving away anybody's secrets, all maniacs were smiling pretty big. I don't think Robbie thought it was tough enough.
We got rocks with our times painted on them, I'm sure pictures will be posted. Didn't make out in the door prizes for once. Oh well.
Here at home, I confirm as i suspected that it my slowest pace in a race ever. 6:29/K Still I knew it would be, that's sorta the point. I do feel like I have just run for 3 1/2 hours on a tough trail as fast as I could. Not bad anywhere in particular, just a little beat up. I did have a bit of a nap. I guess I earned it, its my longest trail race ever, and second longest run ever. Like it says on my rock, I passed the test!!

ETA: I see now that I came in 48th overall, (out of 118) just like my bib number. 9th in men over 50, out of 24.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:55 pm

:shock: Another race, Sheldon... You're such a Maniac .... :shock: :wink:

And, congrats on another adventure :clap::clap:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:16 pm

Wow Sheldon, great report. Sounds amazing.. congrats on an awesome performance!
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:39 pm

The one thing the Garmin can't tell me is the actual distance that the race will be this year.

?? why not?

GREAT job!! Way to BLOW AWAY your goal!! :)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

mlazenby
Bill Crothers

Postby mlazenby » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:40 pm

From what I've heard, that qualifies as an "A" Sheldon. Very, very, very nice work. :clap: :clap:
Hola!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:46 pm

awesome job, Doonst! Sounds like a really fun race...
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:46 pm

Irongirl wrote:
The one thing the Garmin can't tell me is the actual distance that the race will be this year.

?? why not?

GREAT job!! Way to BLOW AWAY your goal!! :)

What I meant was that at 30 K, I wasn't sure if the total would be 31.6 or 32.4. It did turn out to show 31.92 on my Garmin. 32.02 in Sporttracks.

Mike, wait until Robbie-T's report to see what an "A" is.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

JSmitty
Bill Crothers

Postby JSmitty » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:03 pm

GREAT REPORT and GREAT RESULTS SHELDON

I cannot even begin to imagine running that long on such terrain.
You certainly are a man who loves his nature. Good for you for picking a familiar terrain and coming away with your whisper goal. You are very wise to choose your races carefully, given the prize ahead.
Cheers,
Jill

Ongoing plan :To start running, continue with eating habits, positive outlook.
OTTAWA HALF 2014

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:53 pm

Great job Sheldon! CONGRATULATIONS!
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:25 pm

Great run Doonst, you had a great race, that was soooo much fun!!
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:10 pm

So they say this race should take about as long as your marathon time, eh?

3:27:54

Interesting. Verrrrrrry interesting.... :whistle:

bicycle.boy
Bill Crothers

Postby bicycle.boy » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:13 am

Well done, Doonst!
2008 season by: Euro-Sports.ca
2009 season powered by: sugar and adrenaline

Cabot Trail Relay Race - Leg 9 (17.84k) 1:30:56 (5:06 min/km avg)
Not Since Moses (10k) - 50:16 (5:02 min/km avg)
Rum Runners Relay Leg 4 (16.9K) - 1:14:32 (4:25 min/km avg)
Valley Harvest Marathon (42.2k) - 3:12:16 (4:33 min/km avg)

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:45 am

Well done Doonst!. That sounds like a really, really challenging course.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

AlfiefromPickering
Bill Crothers

Postby AlfiefromPickering » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:40 am

So they say you're now the MASTER of the trail races. Sorry I missed it but nobody accepted the shallonge and I ended up in Smonto doing the 30 k road race.
Congratulations Lord of the Trails!
I am in love with the President of Argentina .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhf5iInIWEs mamacita preciosa
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZ39iEw80M. She is 63 is 2016.... meaning 10 years older than I. I guess I'm into mature girls .....

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:22 am

Wow, that sounds really tough! Good for you- you're obviously in great shape and PEC will seem like a piece of cake after that!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Sandra
Bill Crothers

Postby Sandra » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:12 am

Awesome report! That sounds like a really great trial race. Well Done!
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:46 pm

Awesome result Sheldon!

Congratulations!
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

mlazenby
Bill Crothers

Postby mlazenby » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:52 pm

Holy Carp! You beat Dave. He's been running trail ultra's for years and has done 6 Bostons.

You the man Doonst.
Hola!

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:13 pm

Awesome, Sheldon. I think I smell a BQ coming you way.

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:17 pm

You are a running machine. What is your secret to having no injuries ever?

Really, you are putting a great amount of higher end running, and your future looks brighter still.

Well done today Sheldon!
Bettina Peterson: "Where're you headed?"
Chuck Noland: "Well, I was just about to figure that out."

gwnorth
Bill Crothers

Postby gwnorth » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:30 pm

You get an A+ in my books. That sounds like one tough race and your time is amazing. Congratulations.
María

Burlington Chilly 1/2 - Done
ATB 30k - Done
Mississauga 1/2 - Done
C3 Caledon Sprint Tri - Done
Guelph Lake I Sprint Tri - Done

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:15 pm

This sounds like one tough a** race, Sheldon. As someone who grades for a living, I say you get much higher than a "B"! Solid work and I really enjoyed reading your report.
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:52 am

Wow, Doonst! You have earned (over and over) my deepest respect! Nice work. An A+ in my books!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:40 am

I think of this as a solid A+. That was a great first attempt. It sounded a lot like me last year, and I was thrilled with my result, and so should you. Fine job my friend, congratulations, be proud.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:41 am

Well done Sheldon, you are such a good trail runner! That sounded very technical in places, and i am in awe that you can run that fast and not go down on those trails! Congratulations!
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Return to “Run/Race Reports”