I did two Marathons in one day

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
DeValera
Tom Longboat

I did two Marathons in one day

Postby DeValera » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:11 am

October 14th, 2007: Toronto's Marathon start and the Prince Edward County Finish

Sunday was a wonderful day - 3 degrees at 6:30 as I made my way to the meeting place as bike marshal for the Toronto Marathon...the head bike guy who on two phone calls insisted on 7:30 sharp, sharp - never did make it to the start line - so I improvised and rode out with the 8:00 Half event group - Saw the first "hood slam" at 400 meters as the two ladies didn't believe the cop about the pending runners...(tsk they were dressed to run...late? ) People kept starting for about 35 minutes - so certainly some interesting data for me to interpretate. Saw AlfiefromPickering at the 1st km mark encouraging all comers, focused on his task ahead viewtopic.php?t=21625&highlight=
Checked everyone out to the 4km mark and looped back to the start through the excited back of packers.

Waited some more to see if bike leader would show but not, so more improv. Hung with the guys leading out the first position male and female and sorted some "what if" scenarios - sad only that I thought it best to leave the camera in the car. Kmiklos spotted me and came over to chat - thought she looked great and ready - don't see a report yet? Mr. Kmiklos (nice colour shirt !) called out along the way, but I couldn't catch up to him as the pack got too thick. The cops still had some folks who don't "get it" and no shots were fired (thought of I am sure). All the police I spoke to on the opening 8km were pleased that the road closures were being lifted earlier than previous years. At least one of them is looking to start with a 5k after watching and I recruited another for cyclocross (he spotted my bike).

After 25 minutes it was easier to ride back and forth watching form, faces and listening to breathing. Seeing orange I found a line and sidled up to run4cardio http://www.runningmania.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21655 and introduced myself - aside from the pace bunny being a bit fast, he was in good spirits. When I saw him a second time the drain of his cold was showing. Once again I moved back though the group checking folks and then beetled back to the start line and my car...off to PEC as promised, pulling out at 10:40, 5 minutes ahead of schedule.

Easy sailing on the 401 and enjoying the great weather as I moved down towards picturesque Picton. Found parking right away at the Crystal Palace - bumping into holymoly with a great sign, well dressed pooch and kids. They said JoJo had moved back along the course so (after some finish line snaps) I started after her, stopping to encourage the runners still coming in ...many townsfolk were still out cheering too. Main Street was strange as the participant volume fell and the cops still held the roads open. All that I saw had huge smiles and were in good form determined to finish "upright and smiling" Image "Honey its an hour slower than Ottawa, but I love marathons!"
Image Even the lady who would finish last was "givin' it" with one mile to go as JoJo and I located the Painted Peppercorn and I tried lunch without Guinness....not without beer mind you, just no Guinness! Image

Jo caught me up on the events and what times she was aware of....Hermes viewtopic.php?t=21640 and Sanders viewtopic.php?t=21641 wandered in first with a thoughtful gift from his Cabot Trail ultramarathon. Image
..then Doonst arrived and with great class took his through his race and the brief error made by the result guy when he didn't adjust for the late start viewtopic.php?t=21626 ...Sorry Doonst - I know the course and know you ran an awesome race.Image
.. Heather and Jodi were in next and we are waiting for the breakthrough performer of the day - dgrant for a 21 minute PB and looking like he could go out again. viewtopic.php?t=21622 Image

its all setting in now....
JoJo is right - gotta make this a BIG event in 2008!
front: Jodi, Hermes, JoJo
back: DeValera, dgrant, Doonst, Heather, QuickChick, Sanders

dgrant and QuickChick were nice enough to drop me back to my car and I still made it to Montreal for 6:30.... a fine day!

I regret that I didn't see freddybeachpete, Cathy nor The Moose - next time!
Last edited by DeValera on Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:41 am

Excellent, excellent, DV!! :D
THANK YOU!
Don't know everybody in the last picture though!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:55 am

Thanks for the photos dv. Sorry I wasn't in the best spirits the first time we showed up at the restaurant. I seriously thought I'd lost that key and was gonna get dinged for a couple hundred bucks. :roll:

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:56 am

Well done DV! I actually saw you at the start for the half marathon in Toronto but was past you before I really clued in.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:13 am

Great photos Alan :D
It was greating having a M&G and I'm already in scheming mode for next year.
Hmm...maybe in February when things are totally dead in Picton I'll start chatting to a few B&B and cottage places about group rates for the PEC Marathon :D :D
I can already picture a Sea of Orange flooding Pictiion next year :wink:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:37 am

What a crew! Thanks a lot DV. I think that is fatigue as much as disappointment showing on my face at the end. I'll be back!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:20 am

It's nice to see you IN a photo for a change, Alan as you are usually on the other side of the camera!

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:40 am

Alan,
I am so sorry i didn't get to see you at the finish, but i was not up to going to the finish line :( Great pics.

Sanders
Bill Crothers

Postby Sanders » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:49 am

It was a pleasure to meet you and your slave. Next time you are in Montreal drop me a line and I'd be happy to introduce you to a stout friend of mine. We could meet in a place that does serve Guinness.

Support is a big part of what makes marathoning fun. It's great that you were able to provide it in two marathons on the same day. Seems like a form of PB to me.
Next Up in 2010:
April - 21K de Montreal
May - Cabot Trail Relay Race, Legs 6&7

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:28 am

trixiee wrote:Excellent, excellent, DV!! :D
THANK YOU!
Don't know everybody in the last picture though!

Oh yeah, there are 2 non-maniacs in there. Beside me is my S.O. Heather, and bottom left is our good friend Jodi. Heather did her first half marathon, Jodi her fourth.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:43 am

Alan, while your own running has taken a back seat this year, the fact that you are so willing to come out to not one, but TWO races in one day to support...

THANK YOU!

I know that having you keep Hillary & I company last September on the final stretches of the Scotia course meant a lot to me & impressed her to bits. You are a great ambassador of the sport 8)
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Hermes
Bill Crothers

Postby Hermes » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:10 am

Congratulations on your doubly whammy! Beautiful pix! And fine reporting on your sightings as a bike marshall in T.O. and friend/ supporter in two marathons.

It was great to greet, meet and eat with you at the Painted Peppercorn. JoJo's got a point about Picton being a fine place for an RM reunion. Go Jo-Jo!

I second Sanders' motion that we should definitely meet and socialize with Guiness next time you're in Montreal. An M&G in the works... I would have pm'ed you earlier in the week, but we were trying to catch up on work, sleep and housework, in preparation for this coming weekend, where we'll be on the road again. But I hear you're in Montreal quite a bit, given your family connection.

You do RM proud, road warrior. That's the spirit! :D and, you're also a very nice guy!! :D

AlfiefromPickering
Bill Crothers

Postby AlfiefromPickering » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:47 pm

Great report DeValera. It seems that you were biking and driving the whole day. Was there any race in Montreal?
I am in love with the President of Argentina .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhf5iInIWEs mamacita preciosa
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZ39iEw80M. She is 63 is 2016.... meaning 10 years older than I. I guess I'm into mature girls .....

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:19 pm

Very impressive Sir, you really amaze me, it's an honour to know you, and have you in my corner.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

DeValera
Tom Longboat

Postby DeValera » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:09 pm

Hello Friends - thanks for comments all.

1) Driving all day? -I crank my tunes and enjoy the ride.
2) Guinness lack? -Found a nice place on the West Island - and they gave me Guinness glasses each night
3) Why in Mtl so often? -Mum doing a great job with her breast cancer
4) Photos? - thanks again - just wait until I learn how to work this stuff!
5) Names? -I went back and edited to add.
6) in a photo? -Will get Photoshop to prove I do have eyes
7) PEC 2008? - JoJo, Start the thread!

DV

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:40 pm

Great Photos. :)
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”