Robbie-T @ Hamilton Marathon

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Robbie-T @ Hamilton Marathon

Postby Robbie-T » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:27 pm

Thanks everyone already from the Jelly thread, I wasn't even going to read it at first, I thought RunDMC was just trying to get his bellied filled. :lol:

My goal for for this race was 1) sub 3 hours 2) 3:05 3) PB
I knew this was going to be a tough course but it was much tougher then I expected. I knew if it was a windy day we all were in trouble, since we were wide open the entire way, and it was windy. This course today would not give up any sub 3hour marathon results without a tough fight.

Congrats to everyone that ran today. And thanks to those that came out to watch.

I got there early, and just missed the early start by minutes. I took my time and got myself ready. Met up with Dave, Lisa and Larry before the race and a few others. Warmed up a bit, and then saw more familiar faces at the start, I wished everyone a good run, and we were off.

Mostly uneventful for the first 5k, then onto the highway, a bit of an incline and against the wind for the first out part. Passed a bunch of guys on the way out, then hit the turn around. I was happy that part was over the wind was getting annoying after about 10-11k, as soon as I turned it was totally quiet, so nice after all that wind whistling around my ears. I was about 19th at that point, I counted those that made the turn around before me. Settled into my pace and enjoyed the open highway on a sunny day.

Met up with Alan about 24k, he was ahead of schedule, the plan was 18k, or maybe my math was bad.

One fellow caught up to me and we chatted for a while then I let him go and stuck to my pace.

About 26k I caught up to the back of the 1/2 marathon pack, for the rest of the race I was dodging the thick of the Halfers but what was worse I didn't know who I was racing anyone, I found that a bit unmotivational. I still had the last guy that passed me in my sights so I used him. I stayed to the inside of all the turns to make the course as short as possible.

Down the escarpment, I picked up the pace a bit when I felt I could. At the turn around, about 34k I was pretty much on pace for 3:00, my average pace up until then was 4:18. I thought if I could hold pace and pick it up for the last 3-4k I could make my goal. Well those thoughts ended about as fast as they came. The next 8k was an uphill death march. Everyone with their heads down cutting through the wind and shuffling up the hill. Man that was a tough go, I really don't think I could go much faster at that point.

I caught up and passed the last guy who passed me, and unknown to me a few other marathoners too. The last 8k were all uphill and against the wind, no chance for a fast finish of any kind. I really wanted to finish this race stronger then I did.

Coming to the finish I saw a few friendly RM faces and finished a great run the best I could. I'm totally happy with this result, I wanted sub 3 today, but this course wouldn't have it today. I do know I will reach that goal soon.

chip time 3:05:35
14th overall
4:24 pace

The splits

Code: Select all

time   avg for split   
5k    21:23   4:17   
10k   21:41   4:20   into wind
15k   22:04   4:25   into wind still and incline
20k   21:34   4:19   
25k   21:18   4:16   with wind
30k   21:00   4:12   with wind down hill
35k   21:43   4:21   some hills
40k   23:50   4:46   uphill against wind
41k           5:22   still uphill
42k           4:40   still uphill but time to finish
.2k           0:47
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Lx2run
Tom Longboat

Postby Lx2run » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:34 pm

Rob

What a super run. Without the wind things could have been alot different. There was not alot of course left when you got to the top. I wished for a couple K to make up time but it wasn't there.

Your results continue to amaze me and give me hope.

Great to talk to you again.
Do all the good you are able to-
Any time you are able
Every way you are able
Every where you are able
For everyone you can...
Until you are able to again
-Haitian Proverb

mlazenby
Bill Crothers

Postby mlazenby » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:34 pm

Fantastic run, absolutely fantastic. You deserve mega-congratulations for that one Robbie. Sorry I missed you at the finish. I was right there but you just seemed to have evaporated!

"The last 8k were all uphill and against the wind, no chance for a fast finish of any kind. I really wanted to finish this race stronger then I did. "

This is probably going to be the universal assessment of the race.
Hola!

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:43 pm

Congratulations - amazing!
Race Hard. Race Happy.

Madame Bourette
Jerome Drayton

Postby Madame Bourette » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:45 pm

Wow! Next time, you will go sub-3. Congrats!
"Ok, j'vais l'faire le maudit Ironman!" North of Hélène, Dec 15, 2008.

Running Mania moderator-in-training

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:13 pm

That was a tough, windy course, Robbie-T. Good job!
It was fun to run right beside you for one 28th of a second around the 40k/19k point. :lol: You were fast on that last bit of hill. Bravo!
And congrats on finishing 5th in your category. There were lots of fast guys out there today.
Ultrarunner again

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:15 pm

Rob, I am truly impressed with your progress in the past couple years. It's inspiring.

How do you make it look so easy? Keep on doing what you're doing. I can't wait till Boston.

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:18 pm

8k of uphill at the end of the race? :? sounds like a marathon i won't be running!

another amazing result! congratulations!

casual-runner
Bill Crothers

Postby casual-runner » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:33 pm

Congratulations. :clap: :clap: :clap:
What a great result on a tough and windy course !!!
My race log: http://itsmyrun.com
My training log: http://runningahead.com

----

AlfiefromPickering
Bill Crothers

Postby AlfiefromPickering » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:51 am

Outstanding performance. You´re improving your times every single time you race. Way to go!
I am in love with the President of Argentina .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhf5iInIWEs mamacita preciosa
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZ39iEw80M. She is 63 is 2016.... meaning 10 years older than I. I guess I'm into mature girls .....

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:52 am

Great Report and Great Race. The clock didn't say sub-3, but you ran a sub-3, so I guess you'll have to wait till Boston for that next Tattoo. Congrats Man, hold your head high, it was a amazing day.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:44 am

That's an incredible run on that course. It seems like most of the half runners were about 2-4 minutes off their typical times so I wouldn't be surprised if you put out a sub 3 effort over the full distance.
Next one for sure. Well done.

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:52 am

Well done Robbie-T!
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:52 am

Hey Robbie-T! That was a fantastic report! Wowzers, what a tuff race! Like I said in the jelly thread - I bow down to you!

Congratulations!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:01 am

Well done...wow...can you run :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:04 am

CONGRATULATIONS. 3-hours is right around the corner, and that 3:05 is darned impressive.

I kept telling Doug how i can't believe i "know" the guy who got 14th overall (it is like you are a computer nerd running rockstar :roll: ). Anyway, i am super proud, and i wish that more of your drive and determination (and speed) had rubbed off on my Garmin when you borrowed it :wink:

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:13 am

Very, very impressive. Wow!

Sandra
Bill Crothers

Postby Sandra » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:24 am

Wow, impressive results! You are definately going to get your sub 3 next time around.
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

Portentous
Bill Crothers

Postby Portentous » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:35 am

Just remember a fast finish is always relative to the course and the competition. Seems to me you had a great strong finish, giving your all and destroyiong the weak! :shock: Good job. :P

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:42 am

Congratulations on a strong, gutsy performance on a tough course under difficult conditions. I have faith that we'll be seeing a 2:XX next to your name in the near future.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:45 am

Wow...tough race..tough course...tough conditions.....but you hammered the 'Hammer....congrats!!! 8)
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:55 am

Wow :shock: Way to go Rob! It's incredible how you keep getting faster and faster. Your hard work is unbelievable!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:57 am

:shock: :shock: you, running maniac, you .... :shock: congrats on a smokin' race, robbie-t :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:48 am

Rob... what truly amazes me is how easy you make it look. At the finish line you have perfect form and an incredible strong stride...

Like I said - I'd love to see you rip up a flat, normal :wink: course one day....

You're an inspiration to many of us that hard work & dedication will definitely pay off!
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:55 am

Way to go Robbie, once again a very impressive race 8) CONGRATULATIONS!!!
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

Return to “Run/Race Reports”