Let's talk ITB straps

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Let's talk ITB straps

Postby mcshame » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:16 pm

I know QuickChick uses one, maybe others. Basically, my IT band caused my bone bruising and was and is causing mild knee pain.

What kind IT band do you use and does it work? I'm curious on the logic on how it works. Where should I order one from.

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:26 pm

I love mine - wil check the name

I also have a chopat dual knee strap that I like
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:28 pm

i have no experience, but my local running/sport med shop sells a variety of them. if yours does too, you could try them out before deciding.
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:02 pm

Rather than a strap, I used a tensor bandage to wrap my whole upper thigh (even though the IT pain presented it down by my knee). Worked like a charm.

runningman
Bruce Kidd

Re: Let's talk ITB straps

Postby runningman » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:03 pm

mcshame wrote:I know QuickChick uses one, maybe others. Basically, my IT band caused my bone bruising and was and is causing mild knee pain.

What kind IT band do you use and does it work? I'm curious on the logic on how it works. Where should I order one from.

I have worn one of these in the past but unless you look after the cause and not just treat the symptom, your IT issues won't improve. I'd highly suggest the foam roller for IT pain.

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:06 pm

runningman wrote:I'd highly suggest the foam roller for IT pain.

Got one, using it.

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:08 pm

dgrant wrote:Rather than a strap, I used a tensor bandage to wrap my whole upper thigh (even though the IT pain presented it down by my knee). Worked like a charm.

So what's the concept with this. The compression on the ITB stretches it out? Wouldn't that pull more on the knee?

Got lot's of tensor bandage. Gotta find it...

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:49 pm

The strap is great. I got the one they sell at the RR. I used it till I had no pain, then I weaned myself off by not wearing it for my shorter runs, then gradually not wearing it for some of my long runs. It's true that it doesn't treat the problem, and it can become a crutch, but it was great for me last year. I really wanted to get to the start line of my marathon, and my IT band just kept flaring up, and the strap kept the problem in check so I could run. If you're not training for something, I don't know... I'd probably suggest rest and massage and using the stick to actually make the problem go away.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:57 pm

Just wondering what your Physiotherapist and/or Sports Med Doctor recommends and, the actual root/cause of your ITB issues ....

If I recalll, it's usually imbalance, tight hip flexor muscles and/or pirformis, along with overuse due to repetitive nature :think::think::think:

Have you had your orthotics adjusted and/or verified that your shoes are right for your ?? What about your ART/RMT/Chiro ?? What about your stretching routine ??

Just curious, as until you get to the root of the cause of your ITB issues, it will most likely continue to flare up in the future ... :? :?
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:01 pm

mcshame wrote:I know QuickChick uses one, maybe others. Basically, my IT band caused my bone bruising and was and is causing mild knee pain.

Really?! That's what happened to me too before Ottawa 2006. I had never heard of it before it happened to me, or since. Yeah that injury was rough. It took forever for the inflammation to leave the bone. The strap was a great little stepping stone. Basically I started running again in the summer and got the strap in about October, I think, when I did the two half marathons. I used it all winter and stopped using it just before the Ottawa marathon.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:16 pm

QuickChick wrote:The strap is great. I got the one they sell at the RR. I used it till I had no pain, then I weaned myself off by not wearing it for my shorter runs, then gradually not wearing it for some of my long runs. It's true that it doesn't treat the problem, and it can become a crutch, but it was great for me last year. I really wanted to get to the start line of my marathon, and my IT band just kept flaring up, and the strap kept the problem in check so I could run. If you're not training for something, I don't know... I'd probably suggest rest and massage and using the stick to actually make the problem go away.

That's exactly what I did. My AT recommended the strap, and I used it through most of marathon training (including the race). I haven't been wearing it since, as my ITB is doing better, and I've gotten new orthotics as well.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:50 pm

mcshame wrote:
dgrant wrote:Rather than a strap, I used a tensor bandage to wrap my whole upper thigh (even though the IT pain presented it down by my knee). Worked like a charm.

So what's the concept with this. The compression on the ITB stretches it out? Wouldn't that pull more on the knee?

Got lot's of tensor bandage. Gotta find it...

I assume its the same idea as the strap: applying a bit of pressure to keep the already-tight and rigid IT Band from rubbing and causing pain. I don't believe it accomplishes any "healing", just stops the pain (which maybe isn't a good thing). My RMT suggested it, and it definitely got me back on the road.

MoeMan
Bruce Kidd

Postby MoeMan » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:47 am

Here's where I ordered mine:
http://www.fabrifoam.com/p-pattstrap.html
M :D E
"Every time you miss a run, the Baby Jesus cries..." Dave Grant

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:52 am

QuickChick wrote:

Really?! That's what happened to me too before Ottawa 2006. I had never heard of it before it happened to me, or since. Yeah that injury was rough. It took forever for the inflammation to leave the bone. The strap was a great little stepping stone. Basically I started running again in the summer and got the strap in about October, I think, when I did the two half marathons. I used it all winter and stopped using it just before the Ottawa marathon.

In a sick kind of way I'm glad someone else had it, I thought I was the only one. The physio and sports doctor both wanted to know it I had taken a blow to the leg as the bone bruising was that bad. They had never seen anything like it! :shock: That didn't give me the warm and fuzzies

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:57 am

MoeMan wrote:Here's where I ordered mine:
http://www.fabrifoam.com/p-pattstrap.html

Interesting, this looks like the same one that my physio gave me yesterday to try except that it goes below the knee and is a Mueller strap. I wonder if I can put it above the knee?

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:10 am

HCiD wrote:Just wondering what your Physiotherapist and/or Sports Med Doctor recommends and, the actual root/cause of your ITB issues ....

If I recalll, it's usually imbalance, tight hip flexor muscles and/or pirformis, along with overuse due to repetitive nature :think::think::think:

Have you had your orthotics adjusted and/or verified that your shoes are right for your ?? What about your ART/RMT/Chiro ?? What about your stretching routine ??

Just curious, as until you get to the root of the cause of your ITB issues, it will most likely continue to flare up in the future ... :? :?

The initial signs of injury started during my Marathon training in the winter 2007. At that time, I was not wearing orthotics. Since then, I have been wearing orthotics in my running shoes and work shoes and had them verified by a independent guy that they are ok.

Consensus is that I have an strength imbalance between my outer thigh and inner thigh, where the outer is stronger. I have been told to attach weight to my legs and do static lifts with my toes pointed inward. My physio does not recommend that I do squats or presses where I am compressing the knee.

I have introduced the foam roller into my routine and will get a deep tissue massage monthly.

And now, I will look for this ITB strap for the interim period. Hopefully the combination of all these things will help the situation...but I am filled with doubt.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:29 am

mcshame wrote:
HCiD wrote:Just wondering what your Physiotherapist and/or Sports Med Doctor recommends and, the actual root/cause of your ITB issues ....

The initial signs of injury started during my Marathon training in the winter 2007. At that time, I was not wearing orthotics. Since then, I have been wearing orthotics in my running shoes and work shoes and had them verified by a independent guy that they are ok.

Consensus is that I have an strength imbalance between my outer thigh and inner thigh, where the outer is stronger. I have been told to attach weight to my legs and do static lifts with my toes pointed inward. My physio does not recommend that I do squats or presses where I am compressing the knee.

I have introduced the foam roller into my routine and will get a deep tissue massage monthly.

And now, I will look for this ITB strap for the interim period. Hopefully the combination of all these things will help the situation...but I am filled with doubt.

oh yeah, the infamous abductor and adductor exercises ... with bands, weights and/or the machine, if you have access to a Club :? Also, strengthing your hamstrings would be a good idea :wink:

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:12 am

HCiD wrote:
mcshame wrote:

oh yeah, the infamous abductor and adductor exercises ... with bands, weights and/or the machine, if you have access to a Club :? Also, strengthing your hamstrings would be a good idea :wink:

Why the hamstring? It has been bothering me during the same period...

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:22 am

mcshame wrote:
HCiD wrote:
mcshame wrote:

Why the hamstring? It has been bothering me during the same period...

If I understand correctly ... you have overdeveloped Quads/Thighs and overused ITB, causing imbalances, which may be indirectly pulling your knee off the tracks, causing patella issues ... and, to counteract that, working your hamstrings would counter-balance your quads/thighs ... or something like that :think: perhaps one of the Personal Trainers and Medical Peeps can explain it better ....

Anyhoo, strenghting your adductors (or is that abductors) along with your hamstring will help with the ITB issue, and as a result, help alleviate some of the other issues, as a result of tight ITB ....

:? :?

JSmitty
Bill Crothers

Postby JSmitty » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:32 pm

Hey Lorne:

I used this a couple of years ago. Like others, it helped get through the run.

https://secure.cho-pat.com/products/product.php?product_type=27

Sometimes ITBS can be so severe you are reduced to walking, and even that hurt.
Be careful.

Mine evenually went away, but I am always plaqued with hip imbalances, which leads to the side of knee pain.
Cheers,
Jill

Ongoing plan :To start running, continue with eating habits, positive outlook.
OTTAWA HALF 2014

runningman
Bruce Kidd

Postby runningman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:53 pm

Just a quick one about IT band issues. When I first started running, and knew nothing about shoes, etc, I developed IT band pain. I was told I was a pronator at the Running Room and they put me into 2110s. It seems like alot of the workers there have a"go to shoe", and this was it. Anway, I ran in them for quite a while and treated the symptoms of the IT pain. It got so bad that it shut me down for a period of time. At this time I didn't know it was the shoes.When I did my gate scan a year or so ago, they told me I was neutral, even a supinator. I went to cushioning shoes and it went away. I tried one longer run with the 2110s again, this time at the start of my PF debacle, and low and behold, at 15k or so, the IT shut me down again. Needless to say, I've been in cushioning shoes for a year or so now, and no IT problems any more. I found out I was getting to much support with stability shoes,and it wasn't allowing my knee enough give when I was running. I'd highly suggest a gate scan to anyone who has even a thought they may be in the wrong shoes.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:05 pm

Where would you go to get a gate scan...and what's the cost?

I'm curious. I think I'm in the right shoes..but you never know :D .
My IT Band issues were likely caused by tight hip flexors...and running on roads last summer that were cantered towards the Lake (Lake Ontario)
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

runningman
Bruce Kidd

Postby runningman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:49 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:Where would you go to get a gate scan...and what's the cost?

My IT Band issues were likely caused by tight hip flexors...and running on roads last summer that were cantered towards the Lake (Lake Ontario)

I got my first one done by a guy in Ottawa that was actually recommended to me by some people on this forum. His name was Neil Rosenthal. I honestly can't remember but it may have been 80 bucks at the most. But, I also had one done about a month ago in Seattle at a specialty running store. They took the video and showed me basically the same thing Neil did, except maybe a little less detail. This one was free. The good thing was they both said the same thing as far as me being a supinator and what shoes I should wear.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:58 pm

runningman wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:Where would you go to get a gate scan...and what's the cost?

I got my first one done by a guy in Ottawa that was actually recommended to me by some people on this forum. His name was Neil Rosenthal. I honestly can't remember but it may have been 80 bucks at the most. But, I also had one done about a month ago in Seattle at a specialty running store. They took the video and showed me basically the same thing Neil did, except maybe a little less detail. This one was free. The good thing was they both said the same thing as far as me being a supinator and what shoes I should wear.

Thanks Mike. I think I'll pursue this. I expected the fee is to be more. I get to Ottawa often once my parents are back from Mexico :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:59 pm

runningman wrote:Just a quick one about IT band issues. When I first started running, and knew nothing about shoes, etc, I developed IT band pain. I was told I was a pronator at the Running Room and they put me into 2110s. It seems like alot of the workers there have a"go to shoe", and this was it. Anway, I ran in them for quite a while and treated the symptoms of the IT pain. It got so bad that it shut me down for a period of time. At this time I didn't know it was the shoes.When I did my gate scan a year or so ago, they told me I was neutral, even a supinator. I went to cushioning shoes and it went away. I tried one longer run with the 2110s again, this time at the start of my PF debacle, and low and behold, at 15k or so, the IT shut me down again. Needless to say, I've been in cushioning shoes for a year or so now, and no IT problems any more. I found out I was getting to much support with stability shoes,and it wasn't allowing my knee enough give when I was running. I'd highly suggest a gate scan to anyone who has even a thought they may be in the wrong shoes.

I had a gait analysis done when I got my orthodics. When I went to get a second opinion on them, he said they were fine but were tough without much cushioning. He said to evaluate when I was running again and see if it made sense to have another one made with more cushioning. :think:

Return to “Training ”